Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethnic diversity of Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic diversity of Iran
    Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 14:06

Iranian Kids: (all photos from http://mobile.photomillenium.com/ )

Southern Khuzistan

Northern Khuzistan

Golestan

Mazandaran

Isfahan

Ardebil

Kurdistan

Khorasan

Fars

Semnan

Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari

Qom

Tehran

Kerman

Gilan

West Azarbaijan

East Azarbaijan

Hormozgan

Yazd
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 03:01
Cyrus Shahmiri, Fars Province was a cradle of ancient persian state and home of ancient indo-european tribes. Can you ilustrate any photograph with Fars nature? Does it snowing during winter there?  As I now it`s mountain range.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 05:20
I think some pics from Fars province can answer your questions:

Pasargadae:

Persepolis:

Margun Waterfall:

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 05:31
I should also mention that different ethnic groups live in Fars province, some of them have a mixed ethnicity, like Qashqai nomads who speak a Turkic language:

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 12:40
Studying these photos confirms my non scientific personal theory about blond hairSmile.

Blond hair was brought to Europe by Iranian Aryans (the historical kind, not the NAZI kind) in pre historic times.  In these times, northeren Europe was a very isolated, backwater part of the world. The blond genes became the majority since further intermarriage was rare.

Meanwhile, Iran became a crossroads of world trade and intermarriage with other peoples was common.  As a result, blond hair amongst Iranian peoples became less common.

Edited by Cryptic - 04-Jan-2010 at 12:42
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 13:06
Cyrus, what do you think of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khwarezm (please look at the "Runestone!", citing the assertation that some "Viking" once traveled there, or resided there, etc.!

You may or may not know that the above group were also known as "Charismians?" And, "charisma" has a particular meaning and well could be attached to many Christian Groups.

http://www.archive.org/stream/encyclopaediaofr00cann/encyclopaediaofr00cann_djvu.txt

"The Fifth Crusade was
preached by Iimocent III. in 1215, and the cross was
taken b.v Andrew II. of Hungary (1217) and by the
Emperor Frederick II. (1220). Frederick II. was excom-
municated by Pope Gregory IX. for delaying to take the
field, and in con.sequence could not i>revail uiwn the
Military Orders to fight under him. But he contrived
to obtain the cession of .Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and
Nazareth, and in 1229 crowned himself King of Jeru-
salem. In 12-14. however, the Templars and Hos-
pitallers were defeated by the Charismians. allies of the
Sultan of Egypt, and Jerusalem was sacked."

For more sources see; http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=charismians+iran

And, it seems the name/word "Charis" can be found to mean "Grace!"
See; http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Charis

Thus anyone having the aspect of "One with Grace", meaning "Blessing of God", etc., might call themselves as "Charismatics?"

For Christians we might well accept the meaning found here?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_Movement

But, what about the "Huns?"

Can you connect the English word "charisma" or "Charismians" with "Khwarezm" or "Khwarezmians?", etc.?

Is there any connection to IndoEuropean?, to Sanskrit, etc.?

Regards,
Ron
Note you can move this to a more convienient area if it will work better there!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 13:42
Originally posted by opuslola

Cyrus, what do you think of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khwarezm (please look at the "Runestone!", citing the assertation that some "Viking" once traveled there, or resided there, etc.!

You may or may not know that the above group were also known as "Charismians?" And, "charisma" has a particular meaning and well could be attached to many Christian Groups.

http://www.archive.org/stream/encyclopaediaofr00cann/encyclopaediaofr00cann_djvu.txt

"The Fifth Crusade was
preached by Iimocent III. in 1215, and the cross was
taken b.v Andrew II. of Hungary (1217) and by the
Emperor Frederick II. (1220). Frederick II. was excom-
municated by Pope Gregory IX. for delaying to take the
field, and in con.sequence could not i>revail uiwn the
Military Orders to fight under him. But he contrived
to obtain the cession of .Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and
Nazareth, and in 1229 crowned himself King of Jeru-
salem. In 12-14. however, the Templars and Hos-
pitallers were defeated by the Charismians. allies of the
Sultan of Egypt, and Jerusalem was sacked."

For more sources see; http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=charismians+iran

And, it seems the name/word "Charis" can be found to mean "Grace!"
See; http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Charis

Thus anyone having the aspect of "One with Grace", meaning "Blessing of God", etc., might call themselves as "Charismatics?"

For Christians we might well accept the meaning found here?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_Movement

But, what about the "Huns?"

Can you connect the English word "charisma" or "Charismians" with "Khwarezm" or "Khwarezmians?", etc.?

Is there any connection to IndoEuropean?, to Sanskrit, etc.?

Regards,
Ron
Note you can move this to a more convienient area if it will work better there!

That just depends on how you spell it. People from Khwarezm are called Khwarezmians, or, depending on how you want to spell it, charismians, but the former is the correct spelling. But yes, that reference to Charismians defeating the crusaders is definetly a reference to the Khwarezmians.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 04-Jan-2010 at 13:43
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 13:47
Dear "the Great", of course it is! I never challegned that factoid! I meant to discover if the English version is directly connected to the "Hunnish" one via meaning!

By the way, just why do you think that the Germans, in two world wars were sometimes refered to as "Huns?"

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jan-2010 at 13:48
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 13:48
I never said you did, i just mentioned that other variation, thats all.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 13:54
OKEY, Dokey!

Thanks,

The Least!
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 01:18
Thanx Cyrus Shahmiri! You know many photo`s from Persepolis, but every of them show sunny and arid landscape. I never see snow in Persepolis and Pasargadae! The waterfall is also awesome! Indo-europeans everytime have been look for fertile lands to live. Cold weather and snow during winter is also characteristic for ancient ancestors and have resonance in our culture.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 04:33
Originally posted by Cryptic

Studying these photos confirms my non scientific personal theory about blond hairSmile.

Blond hair was brought to Europe by Iranian Aryans (the historical kind, not the NAZI kind) in pre historic times.  In these times, northeren Europe was a very isolated, backwater part of the world. The blond genes became the majority since further intermarriage was rare.

Meanwhile, Iran became a crossroads of world trade and intermarriage with other peoples was common.  As a result, blond hair amongst Iranian peoples became less common.

I'm not sure about Iranian Aryans, but I strongly believe one of aboriginal people of western Iran who lived in the northern Khuzistan, southern Luristan and Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province, had blonde hair and you can still find a large number of light haired people in this region. I think they were Gutians, look at this thread: Gotvandi (Dezfuli), Guti and Gothic, as I mentioned there, we know the only people who were called Mam-ruti (light-haired) in the Mesopotamian texts were Gutians and we see in some Babylonian inscriptions that they are called blonde-headed people, like this one:

The location of ancient Gutium (land of Gutians):

You can see the same region on this map, different from the nearby regions:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 05-Jan-2010 at 04:34
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 11:01
Interesting topic- I remember how diverse Turikye was and in its own way so was Greece. I found diversity in ethnicity even in Mexico when I traveled there. Being mostly Northern European and Mediterranean by heritage I could pass for someone in parts of Iran with my slight olive complexion, if I dressed right. In Ireland they thought I was Irish but I am darker than the Irish so I could not figure that one. It is not hard to be darker than the Irish though- Turkiye I was often mistaken for a Turk and in Europe they usually thought I was European till I spoke then they thought I was Canadian, other Americans think I sound Canadian. The diversity of the USA/Canada/Mexico would make a good topic. Pick one or all three!!

I am surprised still at the diversity of Iran and I wish I could travel though but maybe someday when they overthrow those nutty Mullahs. Freedom for Iran!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2010 at 13:20
Interesting diversity.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 07:22

One interesting thing about the yellow-haired people of northern Khuzistan is that they have usually darker skin than people who live in northern Iran, some other kids from this region:

Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 10:42
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Really amazing costume. What is ethnic group of this girl? Lur?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2010 at 11:21
I think she is either a Lur or a Bakhtiari, of course she can be also an Arab, there are some Arab tribes in the north of Khuzistan too.
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 05:09
Interesting thread. LOL

Edited by Emil_Diniyev - 26-Apr-2010 at 05:11
jack2012 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jack2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 03:37
Grade 9 Up–This comprehensive, thoroughly researched volume traces the origins and histories of diverse peoples of Iran from the earliest times and shows how these tribal and nomadic groups and non-Muslim religious minorities have fared under the various central authorities. Prices accurate and clearly written volume begins with a description of the land and its prehistory going back to 3000 B.C.; the latter two thirds of the work concerns events from the 20th century to the present day. Each chapter concludes with a summation; a time line; an annotated listing of significant people, places, and events; and a bibliography. The ethno-linguistic groups discussed are the Azerbaijani, Qashqai, Turkmen, Bakhtiyari, Baluchi, Kurds, Lurs, and Persians. The religious minorities considered are the Armenians, Assyrians, Chaldeans, Bahais, Jews, and Zoroastrians. The occasional black-and-white photograph or art reproduction is often too dark or fuzzy to show any detail. There are only a few black-and-white maps, none of which are particularly helpful. The dense text, especially in the early chapters, demands knowledgeable readers; the latter, more accessible chapters provide a fine, nonjudgmental account of the actions of the central government and the response of the minority groups. This volume is best suited to collections serving a Southwest Asian studies program or a large Iranian clientele.