Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestion for AE e-books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion for AE e-books
    Posted: 24-Jul-2009 at 17:50
Hello all,

I should first state that I am indeed aware that this post is not in the appropriate area; because, as it were, the appropriate area stated I was not allowed to post new topics in that specific space. Now, onto my main topic.

First off: great job with the e-books guys; I think it's a wondeful idea. However, I have some very serious reservations concerning a specific e-book that is posted in the Medieval Europe tab. Its title is History of the Papacy, by James A. Wylie. I have not been posting as much as I once had in the past, but, I think, most AE members will be acquainted with the fact that I am Catholic. I hope that that does not prove this request of deletion(or possibly addition), to be made in vain. Objectivity is a quality that I sincerely strive for every day; however, this quality of objectivity, is not something I can honestly say was employed in J.A. Wylie's work History of the Papacy. For instance, the book can be found at this website: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/the_great_whore.htm

As a humble forumer, I would suggest, that other books -- written by scholars of other demoninations and Churches(Catholics, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox) -- be presented for consumption dealing with the Papacy, and Ecclesiastical history generally. I would hate to think that some would read such a bias and polemical work, without being offered a chance to read more objective works; more specifically: works that offer the reader citations to contrary viewpoints. I understand readings of history will almost allows have at least a hint of one's own viewpoint; however, I would like to think that a less-polemical, non-tendentious work could be supplied. I am in no way suggesting that a work that does not agree with the historical aspects of the papacy should be omitted; on the contrary, I have access to such material, and would gladly help in supplying such works on our great site for free public consumption. It happens to be much less polemical, and, to be completely honest, much more persuasive to those that already hold such beliefs. I also have recourse to Catholic scholars on historical themes as well; I would hope, also, that Orthodox scholars be provided too. In any case, this is a request that either the book in question could be either reviewed, or that I(or any other member) could also contribute to the great e-books list that already exists. Again, I'm sorry for the positioning of this thread; and in thinking it over, possibly it may have been better to PM a moderator. The "Suggestion Box" in the AE Community area was closed for further posts.

Thanks in advance for any help/info anyone can provide.

-arch.buff
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2009 at 10:19

Hi arch.buff, that is a good and logical suggestion! Smile

Soon you will be able to create EBooks in some specific forums of AE, your EBook will be shown in the main page and the contents page of it will be shown as a topic in the forum for reviewing and criticizing, I myself have some hundreds books that I like to be added to AE EBooks but we should wait until the new software of AE EBooks is finished.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2009 at 14:58
Hi Cyrus,

Thanks for your reply; it was very helpful. Looking forward to all the new features here at AE. You guys are doing a great job.

-arch.buff
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Ajax Ascendant View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ajax Ascendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2009 at 08:08
On that topic, let me say that I would enthusastically welcome any such measure as outlined by Cyrus.

One book in particular that I would like to recommend is Will Durant's Story of Civilization, which is the seminal work in universal history. It's a 13-volume text that is avaliable for free download in some places; if made available, I'm sure it'll be a worthy gift to every student of history around the world.  
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2009 at 11:14
Now you can add your ebooks here: http://www.allempires.com/forum/ebook_admin.asp (of course I'm still working on some other things about EBooks)
Ajax Ascendant View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ajax Ascendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2009 at 08:15
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Now you can add your ebooks here: http://www.allempires.com/forum/ebook_admin.asp (of course I'm still working on some other things about EBooks)

Gee, thanks, Cyrus! I'm sure this is going to generate a LOT of attention, for sure. Publicizing this yet?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2009 at 09:24
It works and I myself added two new ebooks, you can do it too but as I said, I'm still working on it, I think the first page should be changed, it doesn't seem to be good that all ebooks are loaded in one page especially if the number of them is increased, so it is better that the categories are just shown in the first page and ebooks in the next pages, there should be also a search function for ebooks, there are many things to do about eBooks.
 Post Reply Post Reply