Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indonesian influence in Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indonesian influence in Africa
    Posted: 24-May-2009 at 19:17
That's a good book, but it exagerates the claims. I got in contact with the guy (that actually has those last names) and he explained me several things. I don't agree, though, in his extreme diffusionist ideas, and less that maize was known in Africa in precolombian times!
However, the evidence he shows on musical instruments, mining and other topics are quite interesting.
I wonder if a serious profesional scholar would ever took this topic and try to filter the true from the fantasy.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 06:07
You two are not arguing over exclusive things, its quite possible for Zimbabwe to be built completely by locals, with local materials and local styles (in fact it would be almost impossible not to do this) and to have been influenced by Indonesian/Madagascan architecture.

The White House is very American in its design, but it is influenced by Graeco-Roman design.

One of the factors preventing southeastasia  from being the permanent leader in navigation, ahead of western Europe may have been devastating tsunamis. If any area of the world should be expected to colonise the rest over the oceans before western europeans it should have been that part of the world!

You need more than good ships to colonise via the Oceans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 03:50
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

You two are not arguing over exclusive things, its quite possible for Zimbabwe to be built completely by locals, with local materials and local styles (in fact it would be almost impossible not to do this) and to have been influenced by Indonesian/Madagascan architecture.

The White House is very American in its design, but it is influenced by Graeco-Roman design.

Absolutely. Nobody is arguing that everything came from Indonesia, at all. What is interesting to me, at least, is the degree of interaction between cultures so far away, in such early time in history (300 to 500 AD)
There are interesting things that are proper to Africa and not the South East Asia: fractal architecture, for instance. I believe the thumb piano is an African invention as well. What matters is to figure it out what happened so long ago, how plants like bananas and yams arrived to Africa, and what was the extent of commerce.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12