Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the longest ruler in history?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the longest ruler in history?
    Posted: 23-May-2009 at 03:18
Who was he/she? How long did he/she reign?

P.S. Please do not move this to Q&A, I intend this thread also to be on discussing rulers with significantly long reigns.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 05:27
I think I once read off wiki that the Egyptian Pharoah Pepi II reigned for 94 years. I believe they were at the top of the list.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 18:30
Originally posted by Knights

I think I once read off wiki that the Egyptian Pharoah Pepi II reigned for 94 years. I believe they were at the top of the list.

I thought it was one of the Kings of Korea, Taejo. He ruled from 53 to 146.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 16:29
As usual, Wikipedia has a list:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_reigning_monarchs_of_all_time

The Korean ruler is number two, number one is from Ancient Egypt and seems to have ruled 94 years.

I must admit that I only knew a few of the people on top of that list, they are Louis Quatorze, Franz Joseph, Bhumibol and Hirohito.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2009 at 12:04
So what is the point of this thread other than an exercise in trivia?
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2009 at 01:17
Originally posted by drgonzaga

So what is the point of this thread other than an exercise in trivia?

The point of this thread is information. Relax a bit.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2009 at 13:27
Jnformation? Hardly, given the irrelevant nature of chronology within the context of time. "King" lists are notoriously unreliable if the discussion is within the ambit of History, and as you can note from a post above the accuracy of "longevity" is apparently a function of "modern times" in grand Chaplinesque fashion. To project these exercises as an integral part of competence in History is little more than a trivialization of the discipline. Little wonder that a normal student runs screaming from a classroom if unlucky enough to fall in the hands of an "information" nerd!
Grabben View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Grabben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2010 at 14:34
When King Hormizd II (302–309) died, Persian nobles killed his eldest son, blinded the second, and imprisoned the third (Hormizd, who afterwards escaped to the Roman Empire).[3] The throne was reserved for the unborn child of one of the wives of Hormizd II. It is said that Shapur II may have been the only king in history to be crowned in utero: the crown was placed upon his mother's belly. This child, named Shapur, was therefore born king; the government was conducted by his mother and the magnates. But when Shapur II came of age, he turned out to be one of the greatest monarchs of the dynasty
this one is rather interesting!
If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race,
creed and color,we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
  - George Aiken
 Post Reply Post Reply