Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gotvandi (Dezfuli), Guti and Gothic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
TheNode View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheNode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gotvandi (Dezfuli), Guti and Gothic
    Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 11:10
I've read thinking it was a recent thread, whilst half-way through I realized it was from two years ago, and that someone had resurrected it from certain death, and I feel obliged to answer, since reading it all for about 3 hours straight made be think Dead

You need to recognise the difference between discovering and inventing.

I lol'd, too true.

...however, that the Goths, a typically Aryan people, were already in existence as a great power at such an early period and actually ruling Mesopotamia...

Theres nothing typical of Goths, 'a typical Aryan people'. 

Hittites were not an Indo-European people, they only spoke an Indo-European language, there is a difference (as interpreted by Gordon Childe).

You start the thread with your typical etymological work then you provide a bunch a pictures which prove nothing.  From there you go into a discussion of art and provide this...

I really dislike when people start to do this, its really typical of Stormfront...

You can't hide your ultra-nationalism by accusing others of being Aryan supremacist, Sumer was just some kilometers west of the western Iran where Gutians lived, we know Gutians have been mentioned in the earliest Sumerian texts, so they could be even an older nation in compare of Sumerians, if it is proved that Gutians were an Aryan/Indo-European people then it won't be difficult to prove Sumerians were the Early Aryans or the primitive Goths...

I love it how you leave the analysis up to the reader, but this is quiet funny to read Sleepy

If the Goths did migrate from the south, how do they still exist? The Scythians would have chopped 'em up and made souvenirs for their grandchildren LOL Even Cyrus failed with the Scythians.

...Danish arms sport elephants and wyrms, which, since these don't live in Denmark, must mean that the Danes descend from Indians and Atlanteans.

Adding to joke list.

...for example as I said in this thread about Old Norse Tyr and Gutian Tir/Tirigan...Tir/Tyr was probably the chief god of western Iranians, who incorporated his cult into Zoroastrianism at their conversion.

It's interesting for you to mention this, to quote from wikipedia, "...It is assumed that Tîwaz was overtaken in popularity and in authority by both Odin and Thor at some point during the Migration Age...Tiw was equated with Mars in the interpretatio romana."

It would seem Tyr/Tiw(az), has dissimilar functions to Tir/Tiregan, in germanic folklore, Tyr/Tiw is, "... the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology, portrayed as a one-handed man." At this point, that is all of his functions, he is also a cognate to the reconstructed Indo-European chief deity.

Upon migration, his influence faded, though it is possible the deity gained more functions. The rune associated with Tyr is the Tiwaz rune, (an arrow pointing upward), the symbol can be associated with the Oak Tree, but thats just my hypothesis.

In comparison, Tur is not a chief deity, he is merely a character from the Persian epic Shahnameh. 

The only comparison could be made, is with the deity Daeva/Div.

With the celebration of Tiregan, "Turan, who had suffered from the lack of rain, and Iran rejoiced the settlement of the borders, the peace and rain poured onto the two countries." It seems there is some function of the idea of the arrow from the sky, and the function of deliverance of rain, with lightning, and thunder (Tishtar) usually being associated with each other.

In German and Norse folklore Thor (Thunder deity/god), is associated with the oak tree, thunder, storms, though instead of shooting an arrow, he bears a hammer, and too his function is more like that of European religion, especially similar to the Slavic god Perun, (which seems to have gained function, very similar, and associated with the migration period) although Perun shoots a stone arrow instead, he is too associated with war. In function he is similar to Parjanya, although Indra holds the other functions of rainfall, storms, and war.

It is a similar theme throughout Indo-European religion, in function and symbolism.

I hope it wasn't a mind f*ck reading all that, because it sure was one writing...

Edited by TheNode - 06-Feb-2011 at 11:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789