Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I like folklore and folk music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I like folklore and folk music
    Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 22:57
Ever since I was a child I liked folklore. It could be that Mexico, in its never ending navel gazing, is more conductive to it.

The way that I approached it when I was a kid was how folklorist did it in the past: there are a lot of traditions that are about to died, and we better record them.

It has been years since I changed my mind on this issue, and hopefully professional folklorist have done it as well. Cultures are very resilient. Some things may change, but the core ideas and world view survives. It just keeps evolving.

And frankly, a lot of the stuff that survives is a lot of fun. :) And there is the nice connection that one has with the ancestors when one does things from the past.

Music is especially nice. And I really like folk music. And I mean the real folk music, and not just the folk music stuff in the Bob Dylan tradition (which is nice in its own way, but isn't real folk music.) And if doing traditional customs is fun and connect us with the past, folk music connects us with the whole world, since most of us can enjoy it even if we lack the cultural background.

And it is often a great way for people to learn about other people. I have learned about Ireland and the Punjab by first being into their music.

Right now I am getting into Accadian (Cajun) music. Here is the link to the piece that introduced me to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NIZexqb4U

So, are there any other poeple who are into folk and folk music? :)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2009 at 00:28
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:13
Irish folk music is just great. Ballads like 'Carrickfergus' and 'The Town I loved so well' always get me going. Eric Bogle, A Scottish/Australian folk singer is great as well ('And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda' is one of the best songs of the 20th century in my opinion, especially the version sang by Shane Mc Geown)
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 14:50
Sure folklore is great. Hearing about foreign words for the first time is even better. Carrickfergus? Sounds like someone had a bad meal.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 15:57
I love folk music, particularly from Latin America that has an amazing variety of music, but also from the United States. John Denver was my favorite. Perhaps my favorite American country tune was Alabama's Dixieland:

Please, see this video fully, but mainly the last part of it when changes the rythms, and teh violin plays a wonderful solo, which is superb!!

The lyrics:

A video clip:

Oh boy! How much I desire to be a cowboy for a day Clap

Edited by pinguin - 19-Apr-2009 at 16:09
 Post Reply Post Reply