Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of Futurism (Science Ficcion)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of Futurism (Science Ficcion)
    Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 01:13

I am an amateur Sci Fi writer and also an amateur historian on the local science fiction history of my country. So since long time ago I wanted to open this thread.

Please, help me to make it a loooong and very interesting thread.

Let me start a topic with a picture of Albert Robida, a French ilustrator and sci fi writer who not only predicted the Home Theatre, but also the kind of movies adults would see  LOLLOL. In a time movies didn't exist!

Edited by pinguin - 18-Apr-2009 at 14:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 02:08

I bet in this part of this forum nobody would see this thread

padem View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote padem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 05:28
Good topic Smile

If you've ever been interested in science fiction then you already know who the late Sir
Arthur Clarke is.( For those who don't, he's the guy who wrote 2001: a Space Odyssey)

Decades before their invention he came up with the concept of communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit (also known as "Clarke orbit" after him)

Anyone's interested here's the original article he wrote in October of '45.

Hopefully his other great idea is going to be a reality someday too: the Space Elevator

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 13:01
Clarke is one of my idols.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2009 at 01:48
I am planning to write some sci-fi too. However, I will draw them in a page-long strip because I am too lazy to write them out. I will call it, sci-fi for the lazy. Maybe I can get one done tonight

Yep, got it done tonight. Tomorrow I will scan them, and I will post them somewhere. It was more than one page though.

Edited by hugoestr - 18-Apr-2009 at 06:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2009 at 14:12
H.G.Wells in its novel "The War of the World" describes heat beams or laser beams. Star Wars, that was the inspiration for Ronald Reagan's military program of the same name, describes laser bean guns. Today those laser beams have materialized as real weapons able to shut down missiles, aircrafts and even cannon balls!

Pictures.

From The War of the World of Wells.

From Star Wars

And from military news:

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 16:49
Since I currently have about 1,200 Sci-Fi (Scy-fi?) books in my possession, good luck to you!

By the way, they are for sale! Mostly 1950's - 1970's!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply