Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goddesses, Legends and Mythical Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goddesses, Legends and Mythical Women
    Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 17:54
In Asian region, to be more specific in Japan.. there is Amaterasu.. or a sun-goddess... She was born from the left eye of Izanagi as he purified himself in a river and went on to become the ruler of the Higher Celestial Plain.

Amaterasu is described as the goddess from which all light emanates and is often referred to as the sun goddess because of her warmth and compassion for the people who worshipped her. Some other myths state that Amaterasu was born from water.

The pic of Amaterasu.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 19:25
Interesting - I do not know anything about Asian myth; only Celtic, Greek and some Native American.
I wonder who Amaterasu, the sun goddess, would compare to in other mythology around the world. It will take some thought but if I can I will be back. I have some work I did about mother goddess worship so I will have to dig it up. I know Athena was birthed from the head of Zeus, what a migraine- LOL I will look up Aphrodite because she might be the closets. I learned about the myths but it does not mean I memorized them, it is easy to forget. back 2morrow.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 05:41
Cerridwen

Welsh Goddess of Death and Regeneration and keeper of the cauldron of inspiration; One day she asked Gwion to stir the cauldron, which contained boiling hot herbs; he accidentally burnt his fingers and put them in his mouth, taking in some of the mixture and instantly becoming brilliant.

http://www.goddessmyths.com/

Originally posted by Wiki

Ceridwen was an enchantress, mother of Mofran and a beautiful daughter Creirwy. Her husband was Tegid Foel, and they lived near Bala Lake (Llyn Tegid) in north Wales. Medieval Welsh poetry refers to her as possessing the cauldron of Poetic Inspiration (Awen) and the Tale of Taliesin recounts her swallowing her servant Gwion Bach who is then reborn through her as the poet Taliesin.

Post Reply Post Reply