Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neighboring Countries Who Get Along

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
hbalman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hbalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neighboring Countries Who Get Along
    Posted: 28-May-2009 at 10:29
Turkey and Greece have been good neighbours at all time :)
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 10:30
Here's my list:

Estonia and Finland (technically not bordering though)
Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia (I'm thinking of the Baltic way)
Belarus and Russia (well, I don't think any other former Soviet state has better relations with Russia)
Serbia and Montenegro (although they split in 2006)
Romania and Moldova (although I might be wrong here)
Turkey and Azerbaidzjan
India and Nepal (not sure?)
Laos and Vietnam (although I've also read that some people resent domination by Vietnamese, just as in Cambodia)
Peru and Bolivia (although it seems some people in Bolivia expect Peru to give them some of their coast because Chile ran off with it...)
Germany and Austria (not sure?)
Albania and Kosovo (that is if you recognize Kosovo)
Bulgaria and Macedonia (probably somewhat ambiguous)
Armenia and Russia (not really bordering though...)

also: the Benelux: Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg. Especially the Flemish region( where I live) has all in all good relations with the Netherlands. The Flemish government and the Dutch government have set up the Dutch language union to work together to regulate the Dutch language, an international organization which is pretty much unique in this aspect.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 10:49
I would say Greece and Egypt.

Egypt is counted as a neighbour of Greece because both countries share sea borders. Historically both had friendly contacts with each other. Egyptian is the first ethnonym ever mentioned in Greek language. The Greeks traded with the Egyptians and exchanged knowledge. Greeks had their own city in Egypt. One of the major cities of Greece was named after an Egyptian one. One of the largest Greek communities was in Egypt and it is the longest surviving. Until the first half of the 20th century Egypt had the largest Greek community. There have been Egyptians living in Greece since day 0. There's a big number of Greco-Egyptians in both countries, so big that one wouldn't even imagine. The Byzantines supported the large population of Konstantinoupolis (in it's wealthy days) with the help of Egyptian imports. Old Greek heroes/tribal leaders make triumphic return from Egypt.

There are so many things to mention...The only negative event in the last 4000 years in the Nasser regime, but nobody really takes that personal.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 10:56
Historically speaking, we count count Greece - Armenia - Cyprus. Both Greeks and Greek Cypriots have been neighbouring with Armenians (even sharing villages). According to Strabo the Thessalian Greeks were kinsmen of the Armenians in their distant past, since Armenus, the founder of Armenia was from Armenion in Thessaly.

Also...Greeks & Georgians. Historically speaking Georgians were sharing with Anatolian Greeks the same Kindom (Pontus).

Cypriots can be paired with Lebanese and Syrians. All of them have noticeable communities in each others countries.

evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by Flipper

Historically speaking, we count count Greece - Armenia - Cyprus. Both Greeks and Greek Cypriots have been neighbouring with Armenians (even sharing villages). According to Strabo the Thessalian Greeks were kinsmen of the Armenians in their distant past, since Armenus, the founder of Armenia was from Armenion in Thessaly.

Also...Greeks & Georgians. Historically speaking Georgians were sharing with Anatolian Greeks the same Kindom (Pontus).

Cypriots can be paired with Lebanese and Syrians. All of them have noticeable communities in each others countries.
This is interesting, I did not know of any Armenian presence in Cyprus. Although it does not surprise me, since Armenians have lived (and live) also on the southern coast of Turkey, Lebanon, Bethlehem,.....

Concerning the Greeks in Egypt.. is there a sense of "revanchism"?  I mean, if we consider Alexander the Great and his generals as Greeks, they pretty much ruled over Egypt for several centuries. I read that a small Greek population lived in Egypt (about one percent), ruling over the others, and that Cleopatra was the first (and last..) of the dynasty who bothered to learn the language (Egyptian).

What about Sudan and Egypt?  It used to be one country, Sadat was in fact half-Sudanese.. on the other hand they use the same river (the Nile) which often leads to trouble. Are there border disputes?  And what about the Camp David Accords, did Sudan agree with Egypt being kicked out of the Arab League?

Edited by evilbu - 30-May-2009 at 17:37
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 16:27
Originally posted by evilbu

This is interesting, I did not know of any Armenian presence in Cyprus. Although it does not surprise, since Armenians have lived (and live) also on the southern coast of Turkey, Lebanon, Bethlehem,.....

Yes, there are Armenians in Cyprus ofcourse and the reason is the one you mentioned. Smile

Originally posted by evilbu

Concerning the Greeks in Egypt.. is there a sense of "revanchism"?  I mean, if we consider Alexander the Great and his generals as Greeks, they pretty much ruled over Egypt for several countries. I read that a small Greek population lived in Egypt (about one percent), ruling over the others, and that Cleopatra was the first (and last..) of the dynasty who bothered to learn the language (Egyptian).

I know some Egyptians living here. I've never felt that at all. Even people i know that went to Egypt, the egyptians were exclusively warm to them because they were Greeks. Besides, if there was a problem i don't think the entrace to Alexandria would be in Arabic & Greek.

As for Cleopatra & co, they did not rule much different than any other Egyptian Pharaoh to make a difference. Their role was their same, making ethnicity irrelevant.

I don't know in detail what flew inside Nasser and if revanchism was his idea, but one person cannot stigmatize a whole nation and a 4 millenia of mutual relations.

Edited by Flipper - 30-May-2009 at 16:31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234