Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China occupying North Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China occupying North Korea
    Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:05
Lets say Kim, the virtual dictator or whatever he likes to be called, dies in North Korea, and their is a chaotic period that follows. China believes it would be in its best interest to occupy North Korea to quell the chaos. How would international politics respond to this?
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:12
America would be elbowing all the other countries out of it's way to get there first.
"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:18
I certainly wouldn't be happy..but certain theories of mine about the repititon of history would be confirmed...
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:41
are you sure that's what china wanna do?
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:53
 If China took North Korea, it would wind up with a humongous drain of money and bad PR. Others would say that teh Koreas should unite and China would be stuck with a country where infrastructure is barely developped.
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 17:45

China never helped in the 1990s famine, and that was when she did not like the Western world. Now that relations are more calm, I doubt that would ever happen.

Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 21:22

As I understand it, most North Koreans lived in much ignorance of the outside world, and subsisted on official propoganda.

Though a number of North Koreans interacted with Chinese, and even tried defecting via foreign embassies/consulates in the PRC, many would not have forgotten that China was the primary bully historically, and despite the devastations wrought, Japan probably comes second (I am not Korean, so I could be wrong).

It is unlikely that any invasion of North Korea would be easy, given the terrain, their armed forces, and the fact that their citizens may prefer to fight to the death rather than be captured.

In the event of great unrest in North Korea, PRC might secure her borders, and even send troops to stabilise the strategic regions across the borders, but no more. They would not attempt to occupy the whole North Korea, and would have nothing to gain by the additional risks.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 21:39
i heard from my korean friend that people can buy north korean people in northern china for cheap prices. i dunno if that's true.
���DZj�~�� ��������
stupidumboy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 08:17

I am not defending NK's silly national close polocy and dictator Kim family.

But North Korean GNP per capita was double higher  than South Koreans untill 1975. (South Korean GNP per capita was about 700 USD in 1975-North was over 1,300 USD )

When South Korea exported wigs and junk products,they exported agricultural mechanics and heavy trucks.

Its GNP per head had hit USD 1,000 in 1972.

It was  richer than now currently so called 4 Asian Newly Develpoed Nations.

The North Korean economy had started to come down to the dark age when it had heavy conflicts with American navy spy ship(Pueblo ship) and capitalistic international community encouraged not to make trades with NK.

You guys need to think of this that even low natural resources countries like Korea cannot live under good economic production and consumption without trade with international community.

North Korea had more trades with European and middle eastern countries than South Korea did untill 1970's.

Plus NK's communists allies economy had started to struggles too and that was also main reason that NK's economy had started to fall out.

Edited by stupidumboy
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 08:27

back to the original topic,I think North Koreans do not want to be occupied by PRC although they think PRC is their best ally.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 17:50

in what way? i dun think so since hong kong's gdp per capita is 28800 usd as of 2003, which is 130% of that of the uk's.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 18:48
Originally posted by coolstorm

in what way? i dun think so since hong kong's gdp per capita is 28800 usd as of 2003, which is 130% of that of the uk's.

I think he means when NK first started out.  They had so much potential..and they ruined it.
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 21:05

I meant in 1960's ,1970's

Philipine and NK were richer than now currently so called four Asian dragons at that time. I heard many HKers went to philipine for house maid jobs.

Philipine economy started fall down after US base withdrawed and their lefty regime got on power and NK's economy fell down due to the intensed relationship with US and the communism countries economy's low performance started out.

What about the HK's GNP per capita in the past?

Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 21:12

When South Korea qualified to the Switzerland Worldcup in 1954,

Our players could not get flight ticket because of the low finance and they had to stay very cheap accomodation.

Meanwhile North Korea had their own team airplane for themselves in 1966 England worldcup and they could afford to stay renowned hotels,and they were the first asian team that advanced to the top 8 league.

Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 21:16
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I think he means when NK first started out.  They had so much potential..and they ruined it.

I have no idea if they had potential but its said that Japanese remained industrial posts were mainly located in NK territory and thats the main reason they had been more industrialized than SK untill to the middle part of 1970's.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 21:24
Originally posted by stupidumboy

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I have no idea if they had potential but its said that Japanese remained industrial posts were mainly located in NK territory and thats the main reason they had been more industrialized than SK untill to the middle part of 1970's.

IIRC most of the industrial materials...meaning minerals and what not, were located in the North..while our very own Nam Han was still a small agricultural nation.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 22:10

I meant in 1960's ,1970's

Philipine and NK were richer than now currently so called four Asian dragons at that time. I heard many HKers went to philipine for house maid jobs.

Philipine economy started fall down after US base withdrawed and their lefty regime got on power and NK's economy fell down due to the intensed relationship with US and the communism countries economy's low performance started out.

What about the HK's GNP per capita in the past?

hk was developed relatively early compared to other three asian dragons. in early 80's, it was already pretty well off with a gdp per capita identical to the uk and it started becoming higher than the uk after mid 80's. today, it's way higher than the uk.

well, i dunno about the house maids but today there are around 300,000 house maids from the philipines, thailand, indonesia etc working in hk. every family has one basically. you see more philipino people on sunday in hk's financial district than chinese. they do picnic in the financial center, central. for some reason they like that. i dunno why. and the police have to close the roads for them to do picnic in central on sunday. the our-door lobby of  hsbc's head quarter is all packed with philipino people on sunday.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 22:26

OK I know HK was the eariliest develpoed amongst the 4 Asian ANIES  and they overtook UK's economy. Now the one of the most decent financial center etc.

And Yes I saw many philipinas house maids in HK.

What I meant is that NK's economy was more prousperous than SK untill to the 1975 and the economic situation was different in Asian countries in the past.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 07:39

OK I know HK was the eariliest develpoed amongst the 4 Asian ANIES  and they overtook UK's economy. Now the one of the most decent financial center etc.

And Yes I saw many philipinas house maids in HK.

What I meant is that NK's economy was more prousperous than SK untill to the 1975 and the economic situation was different in Asian countries in the past.

lol....it's soooo hard to get your message across to him sometimes...

you're trying to talk about NK's past economy and he starts talking about picnics somewhere in HK...

Post Reply Post Reply