Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clausewitz's on War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clausewitz's on War
    Posted: 10-Jan-2009 at 08:47
I have begun reading this book and it is taking my breath away. This is the sort of book you do not simply race through, but one where you must read a small section at a time and then pause at the end to meditate on exactly what he means.

The book is considered timeless, and one of the reasons why is due to the lack of practical examples the author omits. This, naturally, makes comprehension more challenging.

I am currently on Book 5 and so far it has been a great read, I loved his analysis of the psychology of a successful general and explanation of increasing brilliance and strength of character at different levels of command.

Has anyone else read this? Can anyone give any further opinion on his work?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2009 at 14:56

..hello...

..i read 'On War'  a long time ago and would have to go back and dust of my old copy in order to refresh my memory, however, i do remember the book to be an absorbing and interesting read...

..if i may, i would suggest, if you get the chance, to follow up Clausewitz with a book by John Keegan called 'The History of Warfare'...Keegan offers up an engrossing history and analysis of conflict with reference to 'On War' and in doing so, examines the merits of Clausewitz's ideas....i found reading both books offered up a well-rounded and in-depth discussion and a balanced argument regarding the philosophy of warfare...despite there being some controversy concerning criticism of Clausewitz, the end result of dealing with the two books, in my opinion, is well worth the effort.....

..one example of the nature of this debate...

..all the best....AoO...
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 08:31
Clausewitz's on war is Sun Tzu's The Art of War without the niceties.
Tom View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 11:15
If you are interested in a detailed interpretation of Clausewitz's On War and his famous trinity, see: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/2048/.
Thanks,
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply