Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalingrad or North Africa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalingrad or North Africa?
    Posted: 20-May-2009 at 23:01
The largest losses ever suffered by the British Army were the 130,000 troops including 80,000 British troops that surrendered in Singapore.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 02:14
Well, I was writing about the heaviest day of casualties. But, anyway, talking about the largest losses. The war that brought the largest losses to the British army ever was WWI and this is out of question.
Σαυρομάτης
TheRedBaron View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote TheRedBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 12:30
Actually, you stood more chance of being killed in Normandy than on the Western Front.
Normandy had a higher casualty rate for troops deployed than any other theatre of war the British have ever deployed in.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 17:48
Hardly believable information cause as I wrote earlier there were 20 thousand Brittish killed only in one day during the battle of Somme on July 1, 1916 and they lost almost the same number of KIA during the whole Battle of Normandy from June to September 1944 (3 months of fighting).
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 21:13
Actually Battle of Normandy was from June 6th to July 20th. What followed was the Northern France campaign, where British divisions suffered their worst casualties.
TheRedBaron View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote TheRedBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 09:24
Well if you read what I wrote...

The losses are based on a percentage of losses to troops deployed.

There was alot more men on the Western Front... But you would know that. Plus as pointed out the Battle for Normandy was over a very small timespan.

Of course... The rates were worked out by Dr. John Buckley, Head of War Studies at Wolverhampton University... So I guess you know better... Clap

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 11:50
Just to get back to the thread, maybe for Britain  Stalingrad was less important than NA. After all, they did have their first real success against the Wermacht in NA. What was happening on the eastern front was not quite clear for Britain though I think in 1942 they were more confident that USSR could deal with the Germans.
AFAIK, Stalingrad, or better said operations Saturn and Uranus were conducted by the Russians by takink into account the lessons the English learned in NA, mainly that the best way to deal with the Wermacht was by mounting a counter offensive rather than starting an offenssive.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 15:46
Originally posted by TheRedBaron

Well if you read what I wrote...

The losses are based on a percentage of losses to troops deployed.

There was alot more men on the Western Front... But you would know that. Plus as pointed out the Battle for Normandy was over a very small timespan.

Of course... The rates were worked out by Dr. John Buckley, Head of War Studies at Wolverhampton University... So I guess you know better... Clap

You need to read the confusing stuff you're writing by yourself and only then argue with the others.

British lost 57 thousand out 130 thousand in July, 1916 during the battle of Albert (40% casualites).

What was the casualty rate for the battle of Normandy? Higher?
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 00:05
The losses at Gazala was 98,000 out of 170,000. The TOTAL losses on the Somme was 300,000 over 4 months, Gazala was 4 weeks.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 04:21
60 thousand in one day seems much more terrible than 98 thousand in 3 months.

Edited by Sarmat - 23-May-2009 at 04:22
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112