Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas there an Atlantis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was there an Atlantis
    Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 05:02
      I am almost done reading this book I got from the local Library and it is titled "The Destruction of Atlantis" by Frank Joseph. Now when I got this book I have always beleived that Atlantis was just a myth Plato made to provide a moral lesson to honor the gods and to disdain materialism and arrogance. Many times we find myths to be story-like ways to explain natural things though. As with reading some books I try not to be easily swayed and that I like lots of proof, but the proof that this book contains worth lokking into. There has never been any real full-scale search for the sunken metropolis which is said to lie beyond the pillars of Hercules.
      He explains that Atlantis sat on a very precarious spot hanging right over the mid-Atlantic ridge and that the earthquake or volcano that brought it's demise was triggered by a Comet called Encke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Encke that pulled a battery of of asteroids into Earth. This caused multiple eruptions from volcanoes that blanketed the Earth with a layer of ash. They belive that this all occured around the year 1200 B.C. because they have found a layer of ash in the Artic Circle via core drilling. This entire catastrophe could have ended the Bronze age and that some asteroids may have hit the mid-Atlantic ridge which is very touchy and that seismic activity swallowed Atlantis in one night.
       There is even belief that people escaped the cataclysm or different parts of the Atlantean empire survived, The Etruscan civilization is rumored to be some of the remnants. There are Basques in Spain that speak a very unique language and there are the extinct Ganches of the Canary Isles that could have been ancestors. Pharoah Ramses the third in Egypt built a victory temple commemorating his victory over the "Sea peoples." When asked why exactly did they invade they said that there homeland had sunken and they were looking for a new homeland.The Atlanteans were said to be stocky somewhat less developed that continetal peoples and that they had red hair and that an Indian tribe calle dthe Mandan spoke of a people who came and built the great serphent mound in Ohio and they had red hair!

there is a ton more that I could write and although I am still somewhat cynical towards Atlantis being true, but this book makes you want to beleive. So what is your opinion on Atlantis?

Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 07:50
Well sunken cities / civilations is all around ouer world Black Sea , Ryukyu Islands, som where outside Indian coast and Dogger Bank , so memories from older times ?

Wonder how many are still undetected ?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 13:23
I am convinced Atlantis was the island of Thera. The archaeological record and what's know about the explosion of that volcano, all match pretty close with Plato's legend. All except the time scale, which could be just a typo or a literary license.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 17:35
Moved to "Alternative history."
Σαυρομάτης
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 17:53
Yes, it was off the coast of Ireland. A tiny fraction of its eastern shore still stands today and its called Tory island: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory_Island
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 18:10
Personally and this is total fantasy, not based on any historical facts, in my opinion as alot of the great cities and civillisations make use of the seas and oceans then there is a possibility some of the most advanced ones were sunk in natural disasters.

I also think and this is really wacky that there may be some people at the bottom of the very deepest oceans as humans havn't been down this far .... I think I've been watching the Abyss too much LOL
But really I find the seas and oceans fascinating, more so than space, only recently we thought the giant squid was fiction now it turns out they're real, what else lies down below.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Thorvald View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 22:36
Question:

Why is there an Atlantic Ocean, Atlas Mountains in Morocco, are there blond Berbers, were the original people of the Canaries blond, is there the Bimini road on the Bahama's... I suggest to read Erich von Däniken
http://www.germanic-worlds.com

FORUM FOR GERMANIC-CELTIC AND EUROPEAN PRESERVATION,HISTORY, CULTURE AND POLITICS
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2008 at 22:46
What about a long-lost great civillisation in Antartica before it all froze over?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2008 at 04:07
Yea I heard from core drilling they found palm trees and I read a book (Fiction) on a mother civilization lying there. It was on the Peri Reis map
Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2008 at 04:12
Originally posted by pinguin

I am convinced Atlantis was the island of Thera. The archaeological record and what's know about the explosion of that volcano, all match pretty close with Plato's legend. All except the time scale, which could be just a typo or a literary license.

I dunno see I originally saw that as my primary beleif too but I now think that it is in the Atlantic ocean.

Another thing funny about the Bimini road is that it is very smooth and the rocks are pillow shaped not flat, and that the stones vary in composition unlike ocean rocks. They say that they actually got some of the stone in Georgia and built it as a quay.
The author also added that there is a similar structure of the coast of Alexandria.

there rich trade in Copper in which they called Oraculum was supposedly mined in Michigan! It's just so hard to beleive.
Sun Tzu

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2008 at 05:47
Topic is locked due to an enourmous amount of threads already existing on the topic.

Quick search results:

1. Atlantis: Myth of True?
2. Plato's Atlantis
3. Atlantis

There are at least ten others with 2-3 pages of content.

Post Reply Post Reply