Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine gold!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine gold!
    Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 22:53
I came across this article, and thought that the Byzantine aficionados might be interested in what they found in Jerusalem.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28354767/

Summed up, an Israeli archaeological expedition unearthed over 250 gold coins bearing the face of the Emperor Heraclius, dating them to at least 640 AD.

Enjoy!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 22:55
That's pretty awesome - thanks for sharing, Kaysaar! Thumbs Up

Pretty lucky British Tourist...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 02:26
Moved to Medieval
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 02:42

That is...awsome! I was living in Istanbul when the huge Byzantine dock was unearthed when they were making another line for the underground underneath the bosphorus. It must be hell for workmen working in cities like Jersualem and others though...imagine the kind of stuff that they come up with even in a routine job!

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 11:44
Hoards are usually dating in periods of crisis and danger. I mean in cases of a siege or a possible pillage,when one wealthy citizen of the city hides his money underground to save them.
In this case I suppose that happened in 637 when Arabs sieged and captured Jerusalem and the unfortunate rich man that owned that thesaurus either was killed or never returned to his home...
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 14:42
You can watch a video report of this story here: http://medievalnews.blogspot.com/2008/12/byzantine-gold-coins-discovered-in.html 
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
 Post Reply Post Reply