Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polynesians in the Americas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polynesians in the Americas?
    Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by Cryptic

Eagle Cap,

Your friend had a great job.  I lived in San Diego for about seven years and developed an interest in California indians. Please ask your friend about this possibility. I am very interested in the subject, but have only read one brief reference to it. I can't find anymore information or informed opinions. 

Also could you check on one more rumor?  One of my co-workers had a "wierd" brother who spent alot of time in the hills west of Bakersfield and also liked to tell stories. Evidently, he liked looking for previously unknown Native American sites, collecting token souveniers but left most of the artifacts undisturbed as "special places" that only he knew about.

Anyways, he told his brother that he had contacted a band f indians that had chosen to live a completely isolated, pre contact traditional lifestyle in the hills up until the 1970s. They had eluded detection by everyone but him and have since joined mainstream society. Has your friend ever heard anything along these lines. Maybe the guy was basing his story on fact and just exagerrating how isolated they were?

P.S. If you are interested in California tribes and bands,  take a look at this site.  Many of the skills, techniques etc. are California centered.

He was the Enviromental Planner for the city of Simi Valley, California but he is now retired. I enjoyed hiking with him because he knew so much about the Native plants, wildlife and the native Americans of the area. He could spot an artifact that most people would just think was a rock. I know he taught at the university in Santa Barbara and has two PHDs but I am not sure in what. I have to call him and ask about the mysterious broken and worn sea shells I have found in the Arizona desert. I also found what could be a hide scrapper and a stone that was worked on.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2009 at 16:47

A few postings back Pinguin claimed that the kumara ( sweet potato ) cultivation is not established to be pre-columbian in Polynesia, or unsure. I doubt that anybody believes that fiction. Througout Polynesia ( Hawaii, New Zealand etc ) kumara remains have been carbon dated to pre columbian times.  c14 dates from Mangaia , Cook islands are 900-1000 AD.

About the Chumash in California. They were not Polynesians but Klar and Jones have provided archaeological  and linguistic evidence  for Hawaii-California contacts in a peer reviewed paper ( American Antiquity ). The conclusion is  that Polynesian contact with the coast is the best explanation for the sewnplanktechnology and related loanwords among the chumash.

For some reading :

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/20/MNG9GDBBLG1.DTL

Edited by Sander - 29-Jul-2009 at 17:51
Spey View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

suspended

Quote Spey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 02:05
I have  noticed   in a post or two , mention of the difficulty of Polynesians  sailing between Easter island , and the Americas and back .
Reasons given as  too far ,  too difficult , lack of provisioning points,  etc.

The distance between  Tahiti ,and New Zealand is about the same 4000 Ks . That voyage is a mere 20 or so  days , non stop , and it has been done countless times .
  Many of the trips have been in the last 30 years  with  Polynesian voyaging waka , and star navigation .
 I worked on the building of one 30 years ago .
I know a few of the  navigators  and I know that it was done .

Rapa Niu to Great Turtle Island ?  , no sweat .   Tahiti to Peru  , its on .
Keep your ears open for the news. 

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 06:08
Originally posted by Spey

I have  noticed   in a post or two , mention of the difficulty of Polynesians  sailing between Easter island , and the Americas and back .
In regards to trips from Polynesia to Easter Island to Peru, the following questions should be considered:
1.) What were exploration minded, "optimal" Polynesians capable of doing using high quality voyaging canoes and highly skilled navigators?
2.) To what extent did the various Polynesian islands lose, and perhaps regain only to lose again, the exploring interest, the navigation skills and the ability to construct true voyaging canoes?

Jared Diamond states that canoe building skills and raw materials were perishable and that some, or perhaps many polynesian islands became stranded once once the canoes stopped coming. These societies collapsed and were no longer making day trips, let alone voyages. In the end, I think that a small number of trips to Peru were made, but these trips soon stopped.

That is very interestingSmile. Please tell more about these experiences and coming voyages.

Edited by Cryptic - 30-Sep-2009 at 06:27
Spey View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

suspended

Quote Spey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 12:47
Originally posted by Cryptic

In regards to trips from Polynesia to Easter Island to Peru, the following questions should be considered:
1.) What were exploration minded, "optimal" Polynesians capable of doing using high quality voyaging canoes and highly skilled navigators?
2.) To what extent did the various Polynesian islands lose, and perhaps regain only to lose again, the exploring interest, the navigation skills and the ability to construct true voyaging canoes?

Jared Diamond states that canoe building skills and raw materials were perishable and that some, or perhaps many polynesian islands became stranded once once the canoes stopped coming. These societies collapsed and were no longer making day trips, let alone voyages. In the end, I think that a small number of trips to Peru were made, but these trips soon stopped.

That is very interestingSmile. Please tell more about these experiences and coming voyages.

For the answers to you first two questions , Google is your friend LOL

For the answer to the third ,
 visit  one of mine , who is building the second Hawaikinui . I worked with him , briefly, on the first , the waka that is now in the Tahiti museum Big smile

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 13:13
Dear fellows,

Maybe I missed it, but in my speed reading of all of the previous posts, I failed to find any mention of "Aku Aku" or any other published works of a great (if not misplaced) explorer named Thor Heyerdahl! How any of you could continue a discussion of this extent and not mention his contribution(s) is remarkable!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Spey View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

suspended

Quote Spey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 14:05
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear fellows,

Maybe I missed it, but in my speed reading of all of the previous posts, I failed to find any mention of "Aku Aku" or any other published works of a great (if not misplaced) explorer named Thor Heyerdahl! How any of you could continue a discussion of this extent and not mention his contribution(s) is remarkable!

Thor Heyerdah had just about everything wrong that could be got wrong on this one .

Wrong people doing the voyaging .
Wrong materials to use to build the vessel .
Wrong style of vessel.
Wrong voyaging direction .

Need I go on ?

You do realise that his raft was towed out to sea at the beginning of his voyage , and that it crashed onto a rock and broke up at the end of the voyage don't you .

So , the end result is that  Thor Heyerdah did not sail from the land of South America , to the Land of Easter Island .

And that is , as you say ,  able to be remarked about LOL

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 19:27
Welcome to AE,  Opuslola and Spey Big smile

Originally posted by opuslola

Dear fellows,

He  does not fit very well in this topic  ( Polynesians in the Americas) since he favored America to Polynesia voyages above Polynesia to America voyages. 

Thor might have been wrong on many points and right on others, as is the case with most pioneers .  But he was a great and daring explorer  Clap  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 19:43

Thor Heyerdah had just about everything wrong that could be got wrong on this one .

Wrong people doing the voyaging .
Wrong materials to use to build the vessel .
Wrong style of vessel.
Wrong voyaging direction .

Need I go on ?

You do realise that his raft was towed out to sea at the beginning of his voyage , and that it crashed onto a rock and broke up at the end of the voyage don't you .

So , the end result is that  Thor Heyerdah did not sail from the land of South America , to the Land of Easter Island .

And that is , as you say ,  able to be remarked about LOL

Heyerdahl was a very fantasious man, dreaming on transoceanic trips that never happened.

His only heritage that is worst to take seriously are his studies about the balsa rafts of South America. Today it is known those rafts really existed but they didn't go to Polynesia. Instead, they followed a regular route from Colombia to Central America following the Pacific coast.

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 19:50

Before this thread diverts … Stay on topic, guys.  That is  Polynesians to America, not vice versa  or discussions about   Thor or Balsa rafts.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 20:22
Actually, the Americans to Polynesia is a thesis sustained by a legend about a massive migration by Tupac Yupanqui (The Inca equivalent of Julius Caesar)
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 09:13

Much evidence already indicates Polynesia-America contacts. A recent peer-reviewed paper ( see abstract below) may provide an additional line of evidence. 

Abstract

In 2007 the discovery of pre-Columbian chicken bones from Chile provided the first conclusive evidence for prehistoric Polynesian contact with South America. When looking for further commensal data to address the issue of trans-Pacific contacts, we found a museum collection of human remains recovered from Mocha Island, a small island located approximately 30 km off the Chilean coast. The morphology of the crania suggests they may be of Polynesian ancestry. Here we present craniometric analyses for the six complete crania from Mocha Island, Chile and discuss the implications for further research into prehistoric trans-Pacific interaction.

Matisoo-Smith EA, and Ramirez J-M. 2009.” Human Skeletal Evidence of Polynesian Presence in South America?” Metric Analyses of Six Crania from Mocha Island, Chile. Journal of Pacific Archaeology, Vol 1, No 1 (2010)

Edited by Sander - 01-Jun-2010 at 14:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12