Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should evolution or creationism be tought in schools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [74.19%]
8 [25.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should evolution or creationism be tought in schools?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 06:02

Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

Atheism isn't a belief, it is the lack of one.

Wrong.Atheism is a belief because even if god des or doesn't exist,you can't prove anything.You can neither prove god exists or doesn't exist.It is impossible to prove both ways.So,atheism is a belief.

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 09:10
Many people have said that during this thread that there is no way to prove that God doesnt exist. I agree with that position. At the same time, I have to admit too that the idea of a world without God is more plausible than one with God.

I will start a new thread to explore this issue.

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 11:36
Well, prove to me that my late dog hasn't turned to chocolate and descended to the middle of the earth, and we all live on his mercy now. Could probably make some crazy guy be his prophet and whip up a book on it. Would that make it so?

In this regard atheist are "righter" than believers. Of course we can say that something we never experience or see, or is otherwise impossible to prove doesn't exists. It would be the believers who had to prove god's existance.

I think you might find that troublesome
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 11:52
Not really.Unless you explore and find out about anything and everything,you can't prove god does not exist
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 12:38

The bible says god showed himself in the past as a burning bush, or spoke to people. Nowadays we don't get any such signs from any gods, and those who say they really talk to god and talk back to him and can have a convo usually are found in a mental institute. So there when theres no real hard evidence then I say its not real. The human imagination is to powerful and people seem to give in to easily, if there is any life after death I have a feeling people will be disappointed that there will be no heaven or hell.

I mean whats to say even if there is a afterlife, that humans didn't just set up another ruling government for the dead.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 13:26

christianity claims that the pope,priests... also speak to god and get signs from him.Islam says that god will give his last sign by sending jesus back to earth

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 13:27
Originally posted by aknc

Not really.Unless you explore and find out about anything and everything,you can't prove god does not exist

But it is more likely, with what we know, that god doesnt exist. No one can prove that Santa Clause doesnt exist either, yet most sane adults will say that he is not real.

If we can only have beliefs, are we going to believe that which is likely or unlikely? Now the task is much easier for believers: they just have to prove that it is more likely that god exists than it is that god does not exist.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 13:35
How can you decide wich is more likely without proving anything?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 14:33
Originally posted by hugoestr

But it is more likely, with what we know, that god doesnt exist. No one can prove that Santa Clause doesnt exist either, yet most sane adults will say that he is not real.

If we can only have beliefs, are we going to believe that which is likely or unlikely? Now the task is much easier for believers: they just have to prove that it is more likely that god exists than it is that god does not exist.

Maybe Santa did'nt give you any presents when you were a kid.

Now onto the more serious note:  Perhaps it is most likely that you do not know and you chose not to believe. Thats fine. I think believers have already proven to themselves that God exists, that is why they are called believers. The rest is up to you.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 16:30
I think that one can decide which one is more likely to be true without having to prove our it.

Let me give you an example. I can say, for example, that it is likely that it will rain in Washington D.C. within an hour. If you live in Washington D.C., you could open the window look at the sky and say: you are crazy! There are no clouds in the sky, the air is dry, and we have been in a drought for three months.

We cannot be sure if I am wrong. None of us can prove that I am wrong. Yet, under the above scenario it is more likely that I am wrong than that I am right.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 10:39
this is rationalism,its very boring and not a good example for the discussion of god.This discussion is particularly nasty since nobody wins.But in your example it is most likely that it will not rain.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 23:22

this is rationalism,its very boring and not a good example for the discussion of god.This discussion is particularly nasty since nobody wins.But in your example it is most likely that it will not rain.

I was not arguing for or against the existence of God on my last post. I was answering your question. You asked a question: "can we argue what is more likely to be true, without proving that it is true?" And my post was an answer to that question. Once we got that hurdle out of the way, we can now ask the question:

Is it more likely that there is a god or that there is no god?

I would like you to explain what you mean by "rationalism."

Personally, I think this thread is a lot fun! Of course no one will win, but it is fun to work through the problem.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2005 at 14:12

Firstly i trake it back,it S fun.Relativism is a subject so boring and long that would take all the fun out of it.In miswrote relatvism not rationalism.This subject is about that there is no ceartain truth but only a point of view.Secondly your question "is it more likely there is a god or no god",i belive none is more likely for neither is an easy one to prove.At first atheism will look like that it is closer to the truth but like i said before,the claim that god exists does not need hoc moves to survive so the theory of the belivers is also respectable. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234