Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient agriculture in North East Africa.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient agriculture in North East Africa.
    Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 10:48
Hi! This is my first thread so I hope I didn´t put it wrong, actually I was thinking about puting it in the "Near East" forum but it´s about both Egypt and Sudan so I puted it here...

Anyhow, I´m looking for some info about the early agriculture of Egypt, Sudan and East Africa. As far as Wikipeda goes it´s:

Sudan:

By the eighth millennium BC, people of a Neolithic culture had settled into a sedentary way of life there in fortified mud-brick villages, where they supplemented hunting and fishing on the Nile with grain gathering and cattle herding.

Egypt:

Twenty some archaeological sites in upper Nubia evidence a grain-grinding Neolithic culture called the Qadan culture, which practiced wild grain harvesting along the Nile during the beginning of the Sahaba Daru Nile phase, when desiccation in the Sahara caused residents of the Libyan oases to retreat into the Nile valley.

What I´m looking for is of course information, books and other material about these early cultures that used wild grain for food.

Aparently this is a culture that developed localy without influence of the neolithic cultures of the Middle East?
Where did this kind of wild grain-grinding culture first appear? Egypt or Sudan?

Cheers!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 10:56

Just found an archaeoloy-sub-forum, maybe the thread should be moved there?

My apologizes. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply