Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

non-Bakhtiari Lors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rhazes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rhazes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: non-Bakhtiari Lors
    Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 17:25
Can someone provide me with more detailed information about them? Ethnically, linguistically, culturally...
rhazes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rhazes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 17:28
Ignore this thread, wrong sub-forum.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 06:48

Lors and Bakhtiaris live in an area between Kurdistan (Media) and Khuzestan (Susiana) but Bakhtiaris are in a more southern part, so for some reasons they are more similar to Susians.

Group of Medes in the Persepolis

Bakhtiari man and Woman

A Lor

Chogha Zanbil Ziggurat in Susa

Do you know why this ziggurat is called Chogha? the reason is that it is similar the design on the Cogha (Bakhtiari Coat), of course it is obvious that Bakhtiari coat has been affected by it.

Chogha (Bakhtiari Coat)

I read somewhere that Bakhtiari women's costume is also similar to Susians.

Bakhtiari woman

Bakhtiari Dance

A weaponed man in traditional Lori costume

Achaemenid Spearmen

From the ancient times, Lors were skilled spearmen, the effect can be seen in the Lori Dance.

Lori Dance

More info about Lori Dance: The world`s most brutal dance

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
rhazes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rhazes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 18:17
Thanks for the information Cyrus. Some other useful links I found on my own:

The Bronze of Luristan
Old Luri Weavings

Ethnicity:

Originally posted by Darwan Travel

The Lurs are thought to be a division of the ancient Kurds, both tribes being considered true descendants of the Medes.

Originally posted by Sogoul Tour

...the Lurs, the Bakhtiaris, the Guilaks (on the Caspian Coast), the Baluchis, are the original invaders who, in the first millennium BC, swept down from central Asia and settled in various parts of the Iranian plateau. Most of the tribes of central Iran are from pure Aryan stock...

I'll continue adding links later.

Saki View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Saki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 00:20

This should add more interest and maybe confusion!

Lors are also regarded as Part Persian and part Arab in certain quarters.

Before you all hiss- a dialect exists in Oman which is the most closely related tongue to Lori. My grandmother was one- I couldn't mention this while she was alive!

Edited by Saki
Knowledge is power, and power is the knowledge of when not to use it.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 02:08

Closest ethnicity to Luri is Southern Kurdish. They are Iranic nomads and did not get mixed with others often. They pre-date Arabs by a few thousand years. Today countries on the southern shores of the Persian Gulf are considered to be Arabic, but most of their Arabic identity really came after Islam. There was large number immigrant that moved from Iranian highlands to the southern shores of the Persian Gulf before Islam most commonly during the Sassanid era when the that area was rules by Iranians. You can find traces of Iranic culture through out many of them. That does not mean Lori has come from Oman. Luri is an Indo-European language

Saki View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Saki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 22:04
That is interesting news, but how do you explain the Omani dialectical connection? Any ideas anyone?
Knowledge is power, and power is the knowledge of when not to use it.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 19:50

Most probably the same reason people in Mexico speak a dialect of Spanish

Post Reply Post Reply