Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Catalan Company

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catalan Company
    Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 08:56

If you know what the Company was then could you help me finding answer to this question - As for the Catalan Company, might it have been successful at attacking, besiegeing and conquering Constantinople??? Some sources say it might have been and some say it might have been not.

PS! Does someone know where to get the poem's English or SPanian or French version???

And is it Catalonian or Catalan???

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 15:59
There is a chronicle of the adventures of the Catalan company by the Historian Ramon Muntaner, who actually accompanied the company to Asia Minor, available on the net.
It's over 600 pages long and the Catalans get to Constantinople at about page 400. It's a pdf file, so you need acrobat.

Catalan Company

Have fun reading!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 12:36
Nice, thanks, a short book more to read. I have read a book where Ramon Muntaner described aswell the Company and its actions but it was much shorter.
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 17:37
attacking Constantinople was almost impossible. If you look at 1453 and ottoman conquest, it was very difficult to makeConstantinople surrender and they needed a lot of sources to take the city. Almogavers (catalan company) couldn't have taken Constantiople without naval suport(they fleet wasn't enough big) and more troops (they were just 4000 soldiers with other mercenary troops). But it's just my opinion.

Great link Komnenos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 22:06
Originally posted by rider

If you know what the Company was then could you help me finding answer to this question - As for the Catalan Company, might it have been successful at attacking, besiegeing and conquering Constantinople??? Some sources say it might have been and some say it might have been not. PS! Does someone know where to get the poem's English or SPanian or French version???

And is it Catalonian or Catalan???

No! But they took several cities in Greece but I cannot recall. They were fierce and even the Turks feared them.
A good source is Steven Runciman and John Julius Norwhich.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 22:04
I found a couple of good books on this topic so if you want I can post them!!!
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 19:06

Just as Drunt Ba'adur has already stated, the Catalan Company would have needed much more in terms of manpower and probably technology.  I have read some about them and as fas as I know, the Company was composed mostly of heavy infantry and some heavy shock cavalry.  Their overall number was not large enough to lay siege to as big a city as Constantinople.  Plus, I don't think they had any sophisticated siege weapons that they lugged around with them; their primary purpose as designated by the Byzantine emperor Andronicus II Palaeologus was to garrison certain cities and to augment the ailing Byzantine army of the time, which was devoid of any native heavy cavalry.  They were recruited by Andronicus especially for their shock value against the encroaching Turks -- even the Turks were horrified at the Catalans' merciless brutality!

Some books you might check out:

John M. Sharp, ed. The Catalan Chronicle of Francisco de Moncada. Frances Hernandez, trans. El Paso: Texas Western Press, 1975.

Kenneth M. Setton. The Catalan Domination of Athens, 1311-1388. Medival Academy of America, no. 50. Cambridge, MA: Medival Academy of America, 1948.

Alfonso Lowe. The Catalan Vengeance. Boston: Routledge and K. Paul, 1972.

Angeliki E. Laiou. Constantinople and the Latins: The Foreign Policy of Andronicus II, 1282-1328. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1972.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 14:53
Thanks.

The cities they conquered were Galilea and wasn't it Thessaloniki (and maybe Edirne)?
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 15:55
Originally posted by rider

The cities they conquered were Galilea and wasn't it Thessaloniki (and maybe Edirne)?

Galilea? Isn't Galilea in Israel? Maybe you were trying to say Galipoli (which was the 'capital' of catalan company while they were serving byzantines...
Edirne(Adrianopolis) was never taken as far as I know and nor Thessalonika (it was sieged)

Catalan company was extremely good in outdoor battles(mountains, attacking an enemy camp, plane...) but while a siege... it was different because they were lacking weapons and experience in those type of battles.

major cities where difficult to be taken

Edited by Drunt Ba'adur
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 03:05
Yes, Galipoli... (could kill some memory now)

Post Reply Post Reply