Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Khazar capital found

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khazar capital found
    Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 17:23
Hello to you all

Russian archaeologists from Astrakhan Uni. have announced the discovery of Atil, the capital of the Khazar empire. The city was conquered and briefly ruled by the Arabs but abandoned it because of the civil conflicts back home. After that the Khazar embraced Judaism and made the city their capital and it became a cosmopolitan city having many nationalities and religions living there. The city was found in the Volga delta not far from Astrakhan:

Al-Jassas
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 22:32

Unfortunately, it's still not know whether it's really Itil. It's just the biggest Khazar settlement which has been found in Volga delta so far. So, it's the only "candidate" to be called Itil.

There is a big possibility that the actual Itil on the bottom of the Caspian Sea right now. We need time to confirm this discovery.

Σαυρομάτης
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 22:51
Hello Sarmat

Well one thing is for sure, Itil or Atil is the name the Arabs used for the Volga river as well as the name of the Khazar capital on the river. From Arab sources the buildings were all made out of wood because stone wasn't in large quantities and the area was wooded. The last fact makes me dubious about the capital existing on the parched volga delta. It might have been much more to the North than Astrakhan.

I have a wild idea that you might be interested in, those archaologists may be after all looking in the wrong river after all, it may be the Don that is Itil not the Volga but nobody is quite sure.

Al-Jassas
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 23:03
Nope it's pretty certain that Itil was somewhere in the lower part of Volga delta. There was another Khazar fortress on Don river called Sarker and it was excavated in 1930th.

With Itil, however, it's still not that clear since the Caspian Sea level has changed several times during the last millenium as well as the cause of Volga delta. It's very likely that Itil is still under water.

Some pilots actually reported seeing a city like structure near the northern shore of the Caspian Sea. Some historians even called Itil "a Caspian Atlantis." Smile

Σαυρομάτης
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 21:11
Sarmat; thanks for reminding me. I didn't see this thread before and my search engine doesn't work.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:36
No problem Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Greek Demiurge View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Greek Demiurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 19:45
Unfortunately finding Itl will not, I think, answer the ultimate mystery of the Khazars. This, as any discovery connected to the Khazars, is great news, but I wonder how much of a difference it will really make.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 21:04
What sort of the "ultimate mystery" you actually mean? Smile
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply