Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Internet-based history courses?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet-based history courses?
    Posted: 08-Sep-2008 at 23:07
I'm curious is there any university/colledge out there that's providing an apportunity to gain an academical degree in history, based on the paper-internet style, free to all?

Any tips?
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 04:18
I don't know about any giving degrees if you don't pay. After all, that is their business.

MIT, though, does have their open course system, where all of the lectures, syllabi, and notes, and often online textbooks (if available), are open.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 18:58
[QUOTE=hugoestr]I don't know about any giving degrees if you don't pay. After all, that is their business.

MIT, though, does have their open course system, where all of the lectures, syllabi, and notes, and often online textbooks (if available), are open.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm[/QUOTE]

Thank you hugoestr. Actually I didn't mean free in that wording (my fault). I mean any univesrity/colledge/school, providing degrees (bachelor for me) in history, online.

Thanks
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 20:57
I think I saw an ad in Military History magazine so I will check it out again and post any web sites I find later.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
robjones999 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote robjones999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 15:35
Cardiff University offer courses online, using the Blackboard e-learning suite.  They are not free but are accredited courses the credits from which can be used world-wide.

I run a course on medieval warfare and there are a number of other medieval courses in the pipeline.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 16:28
It would be an interesting idea. But not going in to lectures and working directly with experts would directly harm your education in history.
robjones999 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote robjones999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 16:47
I thik that 'harm' is an awfully strong word.  The courses offered by Cardiff are run by experts in their field, and are fully accredited by the university itself.  They are designed and run to be the equivalent of a first year undergraduate course.  I think that a well-chosen course form a creditable college or university can be as good as one done face-to-face.

I agree that it is preferable to be within a department, with access to the libraries and to be part of the department's life, but not everyone has the opportunity. 
 Post Reply Post Reply