Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of the Burki's of Pakistan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of the Burki's of Pakistan
    Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 22:11
Im not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue.

In Pakistan we have an ethnic group known as the Burki's, Barakats etc.. who speak a Turkish language (ormari).  I was curious to know where they originated from and in which year they came to settle the mountainous tracts in Pakistan.  Many Burki's are found in Waziristan near Kanigoram but also many have assimiliated into the urban centres of Peshawer, Lahore and in Karachi.  I have heard that Imran Khan, one of Pakistan's newest and most promising politicians is of half Burki lineage.  What else is known about Burki culture, linguistics, customs etc..?

In Pakistan, they are well reknown in the commercial transport industry as it would be almost impossible to stop at any truck shop and not hear a Burki speaking his native tongue which is quite distinct from that spoken by the Wazir/Mahsud (Pashto) whom they often work alongside.

Thanking everyone in advance

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by MarcoPolo

Im not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue.

In Pakistan we have an ethnic group known as the Burki's, Barakats etc.. who speak a Turkish language (ormari).  I was curious to know where they originated from and in which year they came to settle the mountainous tracts in Pakistan.  Many Burki's are found in Waziristan near Kanigoram but also many have assimiliated into the urban centres of Peshawer, Lahore and in Karachi.  I have heard that Imran Khan, one of Pakistan's newest and most promising politicians is of half Burki lineage.  What else is known about Burki culture, linguistics, customs etc..?

In Pakistan, they are well reknown in the commercial transport industry as it would be almost impossible to stop at any truck shop and not hear a Burki speaking his native tongue which is quite distinct from that spoken by the Wazir/Mahsud (Pashto) whom they often work alongside.

Thanking everyone in advance

Urmuris/Burkis/Barakis, do not speak Turkic language, they speak an Iranic language.  They migrated from Afghanistan with the armies of Mahmud Ghaznawi and they also existed in adjacent provinces in Afghanistan in Logar and in a region known as Baraki-Barak..

Edited by Afghanan - 16-Aug-2008 at 23:45
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 19:37
I was always under the impression that Urmuri/Burki's spoke a Turkish tongue.. hmmm. i was told this by Burki fellow from Kanigoram, (South Waziristan).  I remember asking if his language was Iranian based but he was quite adamant that it was of Turkish extract.  

wrora, do you any site/source where I can read up on this? I need to get to the bottom of this!! lol! 
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 04:54
Hudud al Alam talks about the Burkis, as does CE Bosworths the Ghaznavids.  I'll try to find some online sources for you.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 00:23
Thanks Afghanan appreciate it,  This topic keeps coming back and there seems to be some confusion in regards to it within the Burki community itself.  I'll try my best as well and see if I can find something more concrete/conclusive about them.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 09:43
I would like to comment on something over here and that is that nowadays most of the burki's you find are found in punjab...and I am one of them...
Burkis actually originated from North Waziristan and there is still a tribe named the Burkis living there. They have their own language which is the mixture of persian and pashto. Their girls are supposed to be very fare and have red cheeks. Some of those Burkis migrated to Afghanistan and some came to the Sub-Continent after that, around 500 years ago and most of those Burkis have lived in Punjab and after the partition some of them still live in the Punjab of Pakistan.   
Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 17:02

Can anyone advise of the Burki's ORIGINAL appearance in the past?  Green eyes...yellow hair...or....? Tks!

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 17:08
Originally posted by Xianpei

Can anyone advise of the Burki's ORIGINAL appearance in the past?  Green eyes...yellow hair...or....? Tks!

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
hammydon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote hammydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 08:24

Well we've been told by our elders that our family is of the Burki origin as well. They supposedly settled in Jullunder India after coming from Ghazni Afghanistan. No one has ever mentioned them speaking the same tongue that Burkis of waziristan speak. I've rather heard they spoke Persian. And yeah, Imran Khan's half burki and comes from the same Afghan settlers from Jullunder. As far as physical appearance is concerned, i've observed many distant relatives and people claiming descent from the same clans, and among the most prevalent features are that tall height is very common, appearance has now inherited many Punjabi features as well due to marriages in Punjab but intermarriages between the next generation cousins and distant relatives has kept the caucasian features alive, with some Burkis looking Soviet/Afghan and most of them looking like the usual Punjabi/Pakistani peolpe. Never seen much hair color and eye color apart from brown hair and hazel eye color in some Burkis. 

Most of them moved to Pakistan after partition and until very recently the trend of marrying within people of Afhgan descent finished so now its only these stories we hear from our grandparents that can generate within us some idea of where and who we come from. And the internet becomes a pathway for learning our history as such. 
yas245 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote yas245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 13:07
Some information on Jalandhar Pathans:

The district of Jalandhar was home to well established community of Pashtuns, dating back to at least the 14th Century.[5] The Burki and Lodhi tribes were closely connected with the district.

Traditions of the Burki tribe point settlement in the district in the 16th Century. The earliest settlements were Barikian and Rasta Ikhwand, both in Jalandhar city. After Jalandhar was burnt down by the Gurus of Kartarpur in 1757, Kot Khan Jahan was founded by Khan Jahan. This family was known as the Sadakhel; and other Burki tribes include the Guz, Aliak and Babakhel. Communities of the Burki, in and around the city of Jalandhar were refered to as the basti.

The Babakhel Burki are said to have come from Kaniguram in South Waziristan in 1617, accompaniying Shaikh Darwesh, leader of the Roshaniya (Pir Roshan) sect of Islam. The founded Basti Shaikh, having bought this land from the proprietors of Jalandhar. They are also founded the town of Babakhel.

Basti Guzan was founded in the time of the Mughal Emperor Shahjahan, by three sons of Musa Khan of Guz tribe.This Musa Khan had come with Shaikh Darwesh from Kaniguram, and had settled initially in Basti Shaikh. Thry afterwards bought land from the Lodhis and Sayyids, and founded Basti Guzan.

Other bastis (villages) founded by the Burki included Basti Ibrahim Khan, Basti Pir Dad Khan and Basti Shah Quli.

The most important and oldest Pashtun settlement in the district was that of the LodhiMahmud of Ghazna to India, and settled in the region. tribe. Kot Bure Khan, north of the city of Jalandhar, was said to be the orignal settlement of the tribe. According to the Ain-i-Akbari, the Jallandhar Mahal was occupied by the Lodhi who payed a revenue of 14 lakh of dams. The Lodhis of the town of Dhogri, six miles north east of Jalandhar, were among the oldest landowners in the district. Their ancestor Tatar Khan, accompanied, Sultan

The Jalandhar Pathans moved to Pakistan, after the partition of India.

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjabi_Pathan

Post Reply Post Reply