Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monuments to heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monuments to heroes
    Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 07:50
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Algerians and indians in Slobozia! What brought those poor guys from their countries to Romania?

Al-Jassas
I noticed that Slobozia reference isn't translated in English.
The Algerians were prisoners from the French Army. The most important figure buried there is the prince Cheraiuia Mahomed (that's Romanian spelling!).
The Indians were from the British army. It's interesting that the memorial plate says: "To the honour of the Indian army and the enduring memory of 68 Indian soldiers who died as prisoners of war in Romania". AFAIK there was no Indian army in Europe during WWI.
I'm not sure about the Turks. The plate only writes:Here lie 1462 Turkish heroes in Romanian, Turkish and French. How and where they died I don't know.
What I find interesting is that the in the Turkish military cemetery of Bucharest lie only around 300 soldiers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 08:31
Several Indian Army divisions served in Europe in WWI and WWII.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 10:52
Wasn't it the British Army? I know there were Indians but was there an "Indian Army" by then?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 18:23
Heroe to all fast food eaters: Chucky sleeze Here is a

OBSERVE...

Picture removed because of Copyright Infringement

Please do not post copyrigted material on the forum.

~ Northman

Edited by eaglecap - 29-Jul-2008 at 03:12
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 18:58

Why is there still a country called Denmark? - because of this guy...

Niels Ebbesen, belonged to the Jutlandish gentry. The German Count Gerhard campaigned in Jutland in 1340 with 4000 men. During the night of April 1'st, Ebbesen and 47 of his warriors entered Randers and got into the Count’s headquarters and killed him.
When The Holsteiners gave chase, Ebbesen and his men fled toward the bridge over the Gudenaa River. Svend Trost, one of Ebbesen men had weakend the bridge, and as soon as Ebbesen and his followers crossed the bridge, they pulled the bridge down and made their escape, losing just a single man.
Traditionally Niels Ebbesen has been regarded one of the great heroes of Danish Medieval history, the “tyrant slayer” whose action meant the beginning liberation of Denmark. Yet some also disapproved of his act regarding it as simple murder - mostly south of the border. Wink

So what sources is credible....???  
- Danish sources: The first Danish Freedomfighter
- German sources: A murderer and terrorist.

History is but a point of view....

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 19:25
Originally posted by Cezar

Wasn't it the British Army? I know there were Indians but was there an "Indian Army" by then?

There always was a (British) Indian Army, separate from the British Army, at least since the early 19th century. At the end of WWI there were about half-a-million men in it. There was also a Royal Indian Navy (and before that of course the navy of the 'Honourable East Indian Company' (HEIC), which for instance captured Manila in 1762).

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 19:37
I know that indians served in europe, actually there were even indian generals leading mixed troops if I recall correctly in WWII. But my note was mostly out of, well how can I put this, amazement how these poor wretched people fallen away from home in a war they had no business in. By the way are they muslim an if so who runs their graves?

AL-Jassas
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Northman

Why is there still a country called Denmark? - because of this guy...

Niels Ebbesen, belonged to the Jutlandish gentry. The German Count Gerhard campaigned in Jutland in 1340 with 4000 men. During the night of April 1'st, Ebbesen and 47 of his warriors entered Randers and got into the Count’s headquarters and killed him. When The Holsteiners gave chase, Ebbesen and his men fled toward the bridge over the Gudenaa River. Svend Trost, one of Ebbesen men had weakend the bridge, and as soon as Ebbesen and his followers crossed the bridge, they pulled the bridge down and made their escape, losing just a single man.Traditionally Niels Ebbesen has been regarded one of the great heroes of Danish Medieval history, the “tyrant slayer” whose action meant the beginning liberation of Denmark. Yet some also disapproved of his act regarding it as simple murder - mostly south of the border. Wink

So what sources is credible....???  

- Danish sources: The first Danish Freedomfighter

- German sources: A murderer and terrorist.

History is but a point of view....

Interesting

Here is a statue of a local war heroe John Robert Monaghan who died while fighting savage foes on the Somoan Islands or so the plaque says. I am suprised the PC police have not had it removed but to me it shows the errors of our past thinking.

Took off copyrighted item as example

John Robert Monaghan, born 26 March 1873 in Chawelah, Wash., was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy from the state of Washington on 7 September 1891. Classmates wrote "I've got a drop of the Irish blood in me mesilf," as a nod to his ancestry, and he played baseball at the Academy, on both the class teams (1892, 1893 and 1894), and on the Academy (1892 and 1894), playing right field during the 1894 season. He graduated from the Naval Academy in June 1895.

Edited by eaglecap - 30-Jul-2008 at 01:20
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 08:40

I know that indians served in europe, actually there were even indian generals leading mixed troops if I recall correctly in WWII. But my note was mostly out of, well how can I put this, amazement how these poor wretched people fallen away from home in a war they had no business in. By the way are they muslim an if so who runs their graves?

AL-Jassas
Except the Turks, of how and where they have fallen I don't know yet, the allied soldiers were prisoners. Where have they been taken I don't know too. Maybe the Bulgarians brought them there?
The cemetery is taken care by the authorities. It is usually closed for the public except when there are comemorations:
"Ceremonialurile de comemorare a eroilor se desfasoara in urmatoarele ocazii: Ziua Nationala a Indiei (30.01), Ziua Victoriei (09.05), Ziua Armatei Romane (25.10), Ziua Nationala a Romaniei (01.12), comemorarea Revolutiei Romane din decembrie 1989 (22.12)."
The Turkish graves in Slobozia are not under Turkish authority, like those from Bucharest. I'll go there and take pictures of the tombstones.
The place where I lived for the first 20 years of my life is 200 meters from the cemetery. It is right near an Orthodos Church. I noticed that during some of our traditional religious ceremonies concerning dead people (don't ask me about those, I'm not religious) flowers, candles and other things are placed also on the muslim tombs. I don't know if this is a profanation.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 09:12
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Cezar

There always was a (British) Indian Army, separate from the British Army, at least since the early 19th century. At the end of WWI there were about half-a-million men in it. There was also a Royal Indian Navy (and before that of course the navy of the 'Honourable East Indian Company' (HEIC), which for instance captured Manila in 1762).

Actually there was no such thing as the British Indian Army until 1905, when the Madras and Bombay Presidency forces were combined with what were local regiments to form the it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 09:16

AL-Jassas
The troops of British India were mainly either Sikhs, Jats, Rajputs for the Hindus and Sikhs, and Punjabi Muslims and Pathans (Pashtuns) for muslims.

Under the India Act 1947, the new dominion forces were each the decendent of the old army and were allowed to keep battle honours and lineage. As a result for the muslims Pakistan would be responsible. My fathers regiment still has a memorial on the Marne.

As for the second part, well Indian Army was all volunteer so those poor wretched people chose their path, secondly WWI was quite popular in S Asia.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 19:10
Whitman memorial to the Whitman massacre by the Cayuse. Walla Walla, WA

1897 memorial to Marcus and Narcissa Whitman
at Whitman Mission NHS.

Sparten-Cezer

Any historic memorials from Paukistan of Romania???????

This is not a memorial but a cooool door at one of the new wineries in Walla Walla; now famous for its good wine.

Memorial to man's best friend - down town WW, WA

A memorial to all of us at A&E - the thinker or maybe stinker -
I have never seen it but on my next trip there maybe.

Another local heroe

Peo Peo Mox Mox, Head Chief of the Walla Walla Indians

Pioneer memorial

Boy, people looked really wierd back then-

Edited by eaglecap - 25-Jul-2008 at 19:31
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 22:18
Chief Joseph heroe to the Nez Perz and a vital part of our history.

Closeup of Chief Joseph Brant atop the New York State Capitol

old chief joseph grave site - joseph, or
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:49
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Karl Marx Stadt (former Chemnitz)

Is he really someone's national hero? Shocked
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:47
Whether or not one considers them heroes, here's some examples.

Gustav Adolf, standing in Gothenburg, a town he founded.

Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson, the 14th century rebel who ousted a pesky union king trying to introduce continental serfdom. He's had the unfortunate destiny to be used as a front figure by radicals - by revolutionary communists as well as by Nazis.

Charles XII, forever pointing towards Russia, surrounded by four Russian mortars captured at Narva.

And from the other side of the coin, a detail of the Poltava monument, a fallen soldier being draped over by the local copycat of Britannia/Germanic/Mother Russia etc.

And now for something completely different: a total disgrace of a "monument". Raoul Wallenberg is "honoured" by having some pieces of stone looking like giant dog shits strewn over Nybroplan in Stockholm:

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 08:03
I've been in Slobozia on Sunday and I've taken some pictures. Unfortunately I had to use my cell phone so not much of quality I'm afraid. And the place was closed. Here they are: The cemetery
The church:
The plate at the entrance:
Some images of the tombs and monuments:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12