Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

whig approach to ancient history- is it possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whig approach to ancient history- is it possible?
    Posted: 10-Jul-2008 at 20:44
Basically, I've been engrossing myself in my early modern history course at college where we are studying the English reformation, and have thus been reading works by A.G. Dickens, Eamon Duffy, J.J. Scarisbrooke and Christopher Haigh. All of these authors take either a moderate, "top down" or "bottom up" approach, meaning a concentration on either government policy sources or on the lives of individual people and social trends throughout history (also called the "marxist" interpreation if it has more of a socio-economic emphasis explictly above that of government in terms of importance). Obviously, since the early modern period, these defined approaches are probably more easy for historians as even in the medieval period, monks and scholars wrote thousands of treatises and chronicles, which thankfully many of which have been preserved through institutions such as the church and universities. For example, in the English reformation we have well documented churches like that of Morebath in Devon, and with the German reformation the various pseudo-humanist tracts that flooded Germany before the reformation; many of which also talk about some social issues. Obviously, however, there are many other examples. Historians since about c.1830 will have census returns, newspapers, wills, marriage and birth certificates that can obviously aid them in constructing a "grass roots" perspective of their respective period.

However, the "bottom down" approach appears to be the most orthodox approach and for this reason, ancient historians such as Thcycidides, Livy and many other almost exclusively concentrate on the government policy of the states of which they wrote about and studied. How can one have this "top down - bottom up" approach to ancient history, therefore? Moreover, many of the states involved in ancient history did not have the economic understanding or social records for us to be able to write, for example, a history of the Peloponnesian, Successor, Kadesh or Persian wars from the "bottom-up" or "whiggist" and "marxist" perspectives. Historiographically, are ancient historians be condemned to use "government" pattern sources, or at this stage would an ancient historian need to dwelve into the depths of archeology and antropology to write a history based on social conditions?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 22:22
Hmm, an interesting question.  Obviously circumstances dictated how ancient historians composed their respective works, as you mentioned someone like Thucydides would not have had the sources available for someone nowadays writing about WWII.  To answer your question I would say no, historians now do not have to delve into all aspects of life, unless their writing a general history.  Its also much easier to research and write about some macro event like the Punic Wars than some more regional topic or micro event; which is what I understand you to mean by top down/bottom up.  Also personal preference of the audience comes into play, more often than not, there will be a larger readership to books dealing with the goings on of the roman senate or army than a book dealing with roman women. 

Edited by Justinian - 12-Jul-2008 at 22:23
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 22:27
Hmm, an interesting question.  Obviously circumstances dictated how ancient historians composed their respective works, as you mentioned someone like Thucydides would not have had the sources available for someone nowadays writing about WWII.  To answer your question I would say no, historians now do not have to delve into all aspects of life, unless their writing a general history.  Its also much easier to research and write about some macro event like the Punic Wars than some more regional topic or micro event; which is what I understand you to mean by top down/bottom.  Also personal preference of the audience comes into play, more often than not, there will be a larger readership to books dealing with the goings on of the roman senate or army than a book dealing with roman women. 

The simple question "how did x people live under x event" however will always be a key one, and ancient historians, despite their lack of sources, can't neglect it. I think we can see some elements of grass roots sources from within the literature of the Peloponnesian war, and remember that the sands of Oxyrhnychos are always bringing up some new sources for us to use. It's not so much a question of readership - it's more a question of the nature of the sources that ancient historians use. Primary sources from grass roots. For example, we could say in WWII, a parliamentary decree or a personal diary, from the English reformation, a Henrician statute or Parish records? Even when writing a book about the Roman senate, rather than just concentrate on the offical sources, one also needs to examine, for example, sources from ordinary citizens and their preception of the senate. No offense meant but I think you missed my point a little.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2008 at 11:20
For Roman society, don't authors like Apuleius, as well as playwrights like Plautus and poets like Ovid and Catullus provide some material for bottom-up analysis?

It doesn't only work through statistics and official records.
 Post Reply Post Reply