Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star and Crescent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star and Crescent
    Posted: 08-Jul-2008 at 00:51
The Star and Crescent has been used by various peoples since ancient times across vaste geographical areas.

The use of Star and Crescent in the muslim world is a result of the Turks expansion and dominance. The star and crescent had a spiritual/religous significance to the pre-muslim Turks, they kept using this emblem mainly due to tribal tamgas/flags ie the Kayi clan used the Crescent and the millitary. The marching bands used flag poles which were decorated by Crescent and moon, wolf heads, horsetails or Holy Qur'an boxes.

Then ofcourse there is the folklore, legends, myths which come with any symbol or emblems.

And then there are other nations which used the crescent and star as well.

In conclusion, the crescent and moon symbol has been used by many nations in the past, however, its popularity in the muslim world is mainly due to the Turks.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 21:16
The cresent was also used in Rome i believe.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 23:25

The cresent appears in Chistian art as well.  Some art depicting the the Virgin Mary (mother of Jesus) shows her standing over a cresent.  Some explanations say that this symbolizes Christianity's dominance over older pagan religions. Others say that the crescent is a pagan symbol for female divinity and was thus incorporated into Christian art to show the Virgin's special status.

Edited by Cryptic - 05-Aug-2008 at 23:29
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 04:27
Alot of modern revisionists try to make Christianity (Orthodox from my perspective) as having adopted certain pagan elements into them but this is contrary to the theology and to history in which Christianity was quite staunchly against the pagan faiths. People site the dates of christmas and pascha being on traditional pagan holidays but this was done so that the Christians went to the Christian worship rather then the pagan. It was a move to replace not accomodate.

Anyway, I think the theory of it being a symbol of nobility in constantinople is the strongest so far.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 09:07
same could be said for the crusifix imo
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by xi_tujue

same could be said for the crusifix imo

Not really. Christ was crusified but it isn't the pieces of wood which are venerated but the sacrifice and act of love.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 09:48
be4 that it was used to punish to worst kinds of criminals and still afterwards

the cruifixtion of Jesus Christ (pbuh) is just a exception

humans make symbols and believe in them so they can change the meaning of one

Edited by xi_tujue - 12-Aug-2008 at 09:50
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 18:34

Yes but again Christians don't worship the "punishment method" but what it represents, the bridge between our world and God, redemption, salvation to the Faithful.

I think it was Saint John of Damascus who said (paraphrasing) "When the cross is shown I venerate it for it symbolizes the love of God to man kind, but when the boards are broken in two it means nothing to me and I burn it as wood."
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 19:38
thats a perfect example symbols are what we make them, what we believe they are
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 20:14
That's kind of an obvious statement. Water is wet, fire is hot etc etc. What Symbol isn't what we make it?
Mercury_Dawn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 17:28
I was told that it was a symbol of security for the early Arab tribes who would travel the desert by day, and park thier caravans at night, and socialize. The caravans offered security, and the moon was a symbol of not being insanely hot.

I suppose I'm wrong, I had only asked a common businessman. It sounded far more romantic though. They say the Star of David was a symbol of Venus.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2009 at 11:37

Originally posted by Bulldog

The use of Star and Crescent in the muslim world is a result of the Turks expansion and dominance.

They were the people Chinese referred to as " 月氏 = Yue Zhi ".

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 16:45
Would that make them the Eastern Saka then?
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 03:54

I wouldn't think so.Saka or Scythians were a seperate people,Yuezhi definitely not an offshoot.

note: 古代波斯人稱之為 Saka 塞克人 = ancient Persians referred those tribes as Saka.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 16:54

Some of the Yuezhi formed the Kushan Empire and are thought to have been or were closely related to the Tocharians.  However, according to this page the Eastern Schythians could also have been the Yuezhi.

http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Centasia3.html#Sakae

http://www.famouschinese.com/virtual/Yuezhi

Edited by Seko - 06-Mar-2009 at 17:00
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2011 at 19:36
Originally posted by Leonidas

This is very true. You can find most symbols going further back than their current use with hints in their meaning still carrying on even if they do change over time. The moon carrys on with the Virgin Mary for instance in some iconograhy (AFAIK latin catholic). though instead of being on her head, its on her feet.

The imagery of Mary standing on the moon is a Biblical reference, not a pagan carry-over: "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered."  (Revelation 12:1-12:2)

Traditionally, the Catholics generally believe that this woman who appeared in the sky is Mary or a representation of Mary.  Accordingly, many Catholic religious arts depict Mary as standing on the moon.  (Note: the Catholics also believe it is possible for the same Biblical symbol can have more than one meaning.  For example, many Catholics believe that the woman can also be a symbol of Mary as well as of the Church.) 

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2011 at 02:22
Last Crescent=Osiris=waning crescent and star Venus(Inanna of Sumerians and Ishtar of Babylonians)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_and_crescent
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29164

Edited by medenaywe - 12-Mar-2011 at 02:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12