Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Security Perceptions of State Entities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Perceptions of State Entities
    Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 13:58
I propose that we examine and discuss the perceptions that states have of their security concerns.  I also suggest that we do so in separate threads so that confusion might be minimized.

On the assumption that the security of a state is among its most vital interests, and based on historical considerations rather than today's headlines, I suggest we begin with several threads separately addressing the following state entities and their respective conceptions of vital security concerns:

1)  The Russian Republic

2)  Peoples Republic of China

3)  India

4)  United States

In addition, after we explore these states' security concerns, and their perception of their interests, let's also give attention to the following closely involved states since their security concerns will be impacted by the four above:

5)  Pakistan

6)  Iran

7)  Brazil

We could certainly add others later (Turkey; Venezuela; Mexico; Japan, even Poland, etc.),  but for the sake of manageability, I think doing this with the topic on one state at a time will focus attention rather than diffuse it into tangential argument.  Of course as one of these other states above impacts, say, Pakistan or the US, etc., mention is understandable, but....

I ask that we concentrate on one at a time, and address their perceptions and their needs, as far as we can, as they see them, not as adversaries or competitors might.  Everyone isn't going to see it the same way.

I didn't get to this yesterday, but I will open a thread a little later on Russia and her security concerns and perceptions, and we can go forward.

Let's see how this works first, and someone else might want to open a thread on the next state's security perceptions.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 14:57

India:

Pakistan is seen in Indian mythology (state mythology that is) as little better than a breakaway province, or group of provinces rather. As a result of the creation of Pakistan, India lost most of the Punjab and all of the Frontier, which were its breadbasket, its recruiting ground for soldiers, and its link to and outpost in C Asia. (Balochistan being the same for the mid east). The loss of this link is seen by Indians as completely ending any hope for pusuing their interests in C Asia. To counter this, they have attempted to forestall any Pakistani move in C Asia via Afghanistan. At first it was by supporting Afghan irredentist claims against Pakistan, when that failed it moved to the anti-Pashtun N Allience and its communist predecessors (since Pashtun are a highly influential group within Pakistan, its natural Pakistan will always take a pro-Pashtun line in Afghan affairs, something I think we need to moderate in future).

India also views its religious minoritys with suspicion although it has made attempts to integrate and genuine ones at that. It sees Pakistan and China using them to destabalise India. Every province of India has seen an insurgency of some sort, and at anytime something like 50% of India is not under Delhis control. Since these are outlyimg area usually Delhi dose not care too much, it hurts when its a border area like the North East (China border), Kashmir or Punjab and now Rajestan (Pak border).
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 16:13

I would highlight these matters when we get to a separate thread on India's security perceptions.  Numerous issues (now perhaps including Nepal).

The articles and info you made available on Siachen led me to do some reading, and I think the entire Kashmir issue will be of major interest when the geopolitics are examined.  Smile

So many times people misread the underlying reasons (rarely talked about officially).

Post Reply Post Reply