Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Son of Alexander the Great?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Son of Alexander the Great?
    Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 10:02
Thanks for the link
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 22:27
There is also a mention of this subject in Diodorus Siculus' Bibliotheke Historike:

"Meanwhile Polyperchon, who was biding his time in the Peloponnesus, and who was nursing grievances against Cassander and had long craved the leadership of the Macedonians, summoned from Pergamon Barsinê's son Heracles, who was the son of Alexander but was being reared in Pergamon, being about seventeen years of age. 2 Moreover, Polyperchon, sending to his own friends in many places and to those who were at odds with Cassander, kept urging them to restore the youth to his ancestral throne. 3 He also wrote to the Federal League of the Aetolians, begging them to grant a safe conduct and to join forces with him and promising to repay the favour many times over if they would aid in placing the youth on his ancestral throne. Since the affair proceeded as he wished, the Aetolians being in hearty agreement and many others hurrying to aid in the restoration of the king, in all there were assembled more than twenty thousand infantry and at least one thousand horsemen. 4 Meanwhile Polyperchon, intent on the preparations for the war, was gathering money; and sending to those to Macedonians who were friendly, he kept urging them to join in the undertaking" (Book XX, chapter 20)

"Meanwhile Polyperchon, who had collected a strong army, brought back to his father's kingdom Heracles, the son of Alexander and Barsinê; but when he was in camp at the place called Stymphaeum, Cassander arrived with his army. As the camps were not far distant from each other and the Macedonians regarded the restoration of the king without disfavour, Cassander, since he feared lest the Macedonians, being by nature prone to change sides easily, should sometime desert to Heracles, sent an embassy to Polyperchon. 2 As for the king, Cassander tried to show Polyperchon that if the restoration should take place he would do what was ordered by others; but, he said, if Polyperchon joined with him and slew the stripling, he would at once recover what had formerly been granted him throughout Macedonia, and then, after receiving an army, he would be appointed general in the Peloponnesus and would be partner in everything in Cassander's realm, being honoured above all. Finally he won Polyperchon over by many great promises, made a secret compact with him, and induced him to murder the king. 3 When Polyperchon had slain the youth and was openly co-operating with Cassander, he recovered the grants in Macedonia and also, according to the agreement, received four thousand Macedonian foot-soldiers and five hundred Thessalian horse. 4 Enrolling also those of the others who wished, he attempted to lead them through Boeotia into the Peloponnesus; but, when he was prevented by Boeotians and Peloponnesians, he turned aside, advanced into Locris, and there passed the winter." (Book 20, chapter 28)

(both fragments taken from Lacus Curtius - an excellent web site!)

Edited by khshayathiya - 21-Feb-2009 at 22:49
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2009 at 22:02
I took a class about Hellenism at Eastern Washington U. and I recall there are numerous myths written about him but many of them centuries after his death so who knows what is real and what is myth. Officially, I do not think he had a son but I will pull out my notes. Who knows how many offspring he left behind unofficially- LOL
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2009 at 22:24
Originally posted by eaglecap

I took a class about Hellenism at Eastern Washington U. and I recall there are numerous myths written about him but many of them centuries after his death so who knows what is real and what is myth. Officially, I do not think he had a son but I will pull out my notes. Who knows how many offspring he left behind unofficially- LOL

Officially, he did have a son, Alexander IV, born by Rhoxane after his death. The original question was whether Herakles, the son of Alexander's mistress Barsine, was also a true son of the Conqueror. Which he may have been... 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2014 at 04:06
According the number of females(males can not become pregnant still!!!) and spreading of his name,there had been a lot of them.Legal,one:Alexander IV!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12