Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"The Messiah" (Iranian film) Jesus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Messiah" (Iranian film) Jesus
    Posted: 29-May-2008 at 05:03
Rumor has it that Mel Gibson is planning a follow on movie to The Passion of the Christ that is centered around the early years of Christ's ministry.  Additional rumors state that the film was delayed indefinelty after Gibson's alcohol fueled anti semetic rant.

This is unfortuante. Regardless of how one views the person of Christ, Mel Gibson's first film a cinegraphic master piece.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 10:14
Hello Sparten

The book is called AL-Kabair (الكبائر) by AL-Dhahabi and there is an urdu translation. The book is a summation of the great sins.

Anyway, a Syrian director wants to do an Arabic film as well and a great uproar among many christians who saw it as an insult.

AL-Jassas
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Nope. Just "mistaken", sans the quotes. If I were to include the punctuation it would signify that I did not hold to the belief that I stated, which I do. I am well aware that many Muslim's criticize Christians for our "mistaken" understanding of the nature and role of Jesus. Wink

-Akolouthos

You did not say , according to me or according to Christianity.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 15:28
Originally posted by Spartakus

Nope. Just "mistaken", sans the quotes. If I were to include the punctuation it would signify that I did not hold to the belief that I stated, which I do. I am well aware that many Muslim's criticize Christians for our "mistaken" understanding of the nature and role of Jesus. Wink

-Akolouthos

You did not say , according to me or according to Christianity.

No I did not. Instead, I spoke as a Christian. Essentially it's a statement of an opinion which I believe to be true; if I had put the word "mistaken" in quotes, it would convey something other than that which was my intention.

-Akolouthos
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 16:57

No I did not. Instead, I spoke as a Christian. Essentially it's a statement of an opinion which I believe to be true; if I had put the word "mistaken" in quotes, it would convey something other than that which was my intention.

-Akolouthos

You said :

Interesting. It shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. One of the primary criticisms levelled by the Church at Islam has always been the mistaken Muslim interpretation of the nature and role of Jesus. I'd actually be very interested to see this movie sometime.

Mistaken according to whom? As a believer you should know that what you consider mistaken ,for another it is not. And if it is according to the Church, according to which Church?

--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 17:41

-Akolouthos

You said :

Interesting. It shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. One of the primary criticisms levelled by the Church at Islam has always been the mistaken Muslim interpretation of the nature and role of Jesus. I'd actually be very interested to see this movie sometime.

Mistaken according to whom? As a believer you should know that what you consider mistaken ,for another it is not. And if it is according to the Church, according to which Church?

LOL

I think you need to go back and read our comments in this thread, Sparty -- your questions have already been thouroughly addressed. If you still can't come up with it, I could try to explain it again, but there are only so many ways I can say it: Quotes would have subtly altered the meaning of my statement, and were justly omitted.

I don't have a problem with semantic nitpicking -- indeed I love it -- so long as it is correct.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 31-May-2008 at 17:45
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:19

I think you need to go back and read our comments in this thread, Sparty -- your questions have already been thouroughly addressed.

I quoted your very first answer in this topic.

to explain it again, but there are only so many ways I can say it: Quotes would have subtly altered the meaning of my statement, and were justly omitted.

My point is that you needed to state the source for the word mistaken. The way you wrote it was as if it was a widely accepted truth, but you did not mention for whom.That's all.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 01:03

I quoted your very first answer in this topic.

But you apparently either didn't read or failed to understand my explanation.

My point is that you needed to state the source for the word mistaken. The way you wrote it was as if it was a widely accepted truth, but you did not mention for whom.That's all.

Sorry, but I think I will continue writing my posts in the context of an academic forum where adults can understand things without my having to hold their hands through the process.

I'll try once more, Sparty; once more:

The initial post stated something that I hold to be true. There was no need to put the word "mistaken" in quotes; to do so would have implied that I did not hold the statement to be true (see my response to your first objection for an example). Whether or not you hold the statement to be true (and I can only suppose that you don't, for we have already shown that you don't have a semantic leg to stand on) is irrelevant to how I chose to phrase it. And it is a widely accepted truth within the context of Orthodox Christianity; knowing me, you should have simply inferred this -- as I know arch.buff and assume everyone else did. I have no need to identify myself and provide an intellectual profile every time I post on this forum -- although I do often do this to set the context when I start a thread. If you wish to get a better understanding of my thoughts -- or check a "source", as you call it -- either read my old posts or check the relevant thread on the Philosophy and Theology subforum. The point is, we all know each other on this forum, or are in the process of getting to know each other if you wish to clarify every post you make with an explanation of your personal beliefs, feel free.

There. I really cannot state it any more simply than that.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 01-Jun-2008 at 01:05
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 01:44

How are you defining Church in this question?  The Church, if we are to take an ecumenical viewpoint, including Catholics, Protestants, and Eastern Orthodox, all believe in the same doctrine concerning the nature of Christ:  He is one person, co-equal in essence among the members of the Trinity, with two equal and distinct natures:  both God and Man.  Christ is the God-Man.  The authority of the Scriptures, the decisions of the ecumenical councils, and the tradition handed down by the Apostles attest to this doctrine. 

Other "churches" (yes, I am using quatation marks), such has Jehovah's Witness, LDS, and other Mormon sects, deny some part of this essential doctrine, and are thus considered to be heretical cults by the Church.  To deny that Christ is consubstantial with the Father, to deny his incarnation, or to affirm that he was a created being are serious heresies that are absolutely opposed to Christian orthodoxy.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 01-Jun-2008 at 01:54
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 02:17
Its true Sparto. If you hold a mistaken belief in the divinity of Christ then it is expect that you would consider that others are mistaken, and don't need to reference it (actually you are referencing yourself).

So when you want to say for whom, it is for Ako. Just as my first usage of the world mistaken in this post is for me.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 10:42

Whether or not you hold the statement to be true (and I can only suppose that you don't, for we have already shown that you don't have a semantic leg to stand on) is irrelevant to how I chose to phrase it.

That's the issue here. You know, as i do , that in order to have a proper discussion you have to put things into everybody's perspective, especially when we are dealing with religious issues. Because sth  you accept as a universal truth ,it is not a universal truth for the other. You have to state, for the shake of the discussion, for whom it is a universal truth. Not all Churches have the same dogma, and certainly not all members know in which dogma you belong. And the 'mistaken' does not necessarily mean that you do not believe it, it shows the relativity of the term.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Other "churches" (yes, I am using quatation marks), such has Jehovah's Witness, LDS, and other Mormon sects, deny some part of this essential doctrine, and are thus considered to be heretical cults by the Church.  To deny that Christ is consubstantial with the Father, to deny his incarnation, or to affirm that he was a created being are serious heresies that are absolutely opposed to Christian orthodoxy.

Finally, the proper answer i was looking for.........

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

So when you want to say for whom, it is for Ako. Just as my first usage of the world mistaken in this post is for me.

That is easy to figure out for an older member, but not for a new member or a new visitor.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 17:45
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Its true Sparto. If you hold a mistaken belief in the divinity of Christ then it is expect that you would consider that others are mistaken, and don't need to reference it (actually you are referencing yourself).

Bingo. Smile

That's the issue here. You know, as i do , that in order to have a proper discussion you have to put things into everybody's perspective, especially when we are dealing with religious issues. Because sth  you accept as a universal truth ,it is not a universal truth for the other. You have to state, for the shake of the discussion, for whom it is a universal truth. Not all Churches have the same dogma, and certainly not all members know in which dogma you belong. And the 'mistaken' does not necessarily mean that you do not believe it, it shows the relativity of the term.

As I said, when I'm starting a thread I generally do this, for it is my responsibility to establish the context for the thread. When I participate in a thread, I typically don't -- although I have upon occasion; this is because when I comment in a thread, I am voicing an opinion, whereas I am acting in a semi-official capacity when I start a thread. Essentially, the choice is mine, I made it, and I stand by it.

I understand that you are concerned for the newer members, but part of becoming a part of this forum is getting to know people. It would become rather tedious if we all qualified each of our posts with a statement of belief, or a summary of our opinions -- and I do not know of any member who does this, including yourself. I expect people to be able to infer from my statements what opinion I hold, and using quotes around the word "mistaken" would have obscured my thoughts rather than clarified them. If people wish a more detailed analysis, they can go to the "Introduce Yourself" thread I started on the "Philosophy and Theology" subforum.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 01-Jun-2008 at 17:46
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 17:52

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Finally, the proper answer i was looking for.........

Can you be more specific?  How was this the answer you were looking for?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 14:02
back to the iranian movie, i remember iranians made a movie about prophet Josef long time ago.

i would like to wach it too, i dont even know the Sheia's story about Jesus if its different from the Sunni one
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 04:10

I would like to watch it too.

On all counts it is blasphemous to Christian doctrine and an insult to the Godhood of Jesus no matter what the stated of the Iranian directors intentions are - but hey I'm open-minded enough to watch it!

Muslims or non-Christians should understand if we consider them mistaken for their beliefs since they consider us mistaken for our own beliefs too - its no big deal really..............

Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2009 at 09:50
Again, I am making a post to ghosts! But, what the heck, at least I will fell better by doing it rather than not doing it, etc. chuckle!

There exist numerous versions of the life and death of the man who was to be called "Emanuel!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel

Some history revisionists have even proposed that he is basically a creation, with the same thing also applied to Muhammed / Muhammad, etc.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Muhammad

"Muhammad has 18 variant forms: Hamid, Hammad, Mahmood, Mahmoud, Mahmud, Mahomet, Mehmet, Mehmood, Mehmoud, Mehmud, Mihammad, Mohamad, Mohamed, Mohamet, Mohammad, Mohammed, Muhamet and Muhammed."

One might well notice that with the elimination of the doubled "m", both names contain only seven letters! I would assume that numerologists have made many conclusions based upon this accidental fact? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

But, a real question to be asked is; "Could any of you expect a movie producer in Iran to ever make a movie about the "Prophet Mohamet" depicting him in any manner, and especially promoting something that is not recognized as truth by the vast number of the adherents of the religion?

What if some American movie was made in the same manner?

It seems that most all of the above respondents to the original post blithly ignore the greater problem that would ensue if the movie was aimed at Islam, rather than at Christianity!

Oh, the riots that would occur! The call to "Jihad" would be sung from thousands of Minarets (Lighthouses!) Death threats whoul be issued for all of those responsible for the film, etc., theaters would be burned to the ground, etc. Large and mean demonstrations would be made in front of Western missons in Arabic or Moslem states! Gnashing of teeth would be heard!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

I do not think my above words are excessive!

But, what was the response by Christians to the above movie?

Mild distain? Some name calling? Mostly silence?

Surely a strange difference?

Or, do some of you disagree?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12