Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floyd-Comfortably Numb....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floyd-Comfortably Numb....
    Posted: 20-May-2008 at 22:37

...Hello Frederick..

..only had chance tonight to listen to Mostly Autumns' version of CN....i have heard of this band before but i had not heard this take on the Floyd classic....and its not bad actually, the female vocals gives it a 'folky' feel.....sounds a bit like Judie Tzuke? ....yeah, not bad at all.....will try to give the other links a seeing to some other time.....

....thanks for the info...AoO...

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 00:35
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..hello again KK…

..spent some time going through some of the links you provided (thanks by the way)..

…..maybe its just me, but I could not hear the Sabbarf thing going on in 'The Knife' by Genesis…I know this will sound cruel, but it kind of reminded me of the ‘dancing dwarf’ bit during ‘Stonehenge’ in the film This is Spinal Tap….sorry KK….on the plus side, I really do like Peter Gabriel and I think the man has a great and distinctive voice, Biko remains on my top song fav list to this day……..

…..'One More Red Nightmare' by King Crimson was nearer to the mark for me although I doubt if it would command a regular sitting on the turntable!!!…there are odd moments of instrumental interlude that prick up my lobes, but the singing is something that grates on me (which is a bit rich I know coming from someone who likes Judas Priest, Ozzy and Motörhead!!!)….bare with me though, I am persevering with these tracks, but they just do not cut the mustard to these ears…..for me, the tunes are too ‘distracting’ in that they sound all over the place, this is the criticism I generally have of some jazz music, great talent is obviously on show, but I do need some form of structure……for example, I adore Script For A Jesters Tear by Marillion, a band who have been criticised for being Genesis clones, but I think Script is a sublime album, beautiful in fact, full of widdling guitars, long musical breaks, poetic lyrics, soaring, drifting, quirky, but the difference is that I get it!!!!….

….'Larks Tongues in Aspic Part II’ by King Crimson started off quite well I thought, but then appeared to lose itself, getting caught up in too much rambling about…..god, this must seem like sacrilege to Crimson fans, I know how I feel when people do not ‘get’ Black Sabbath…!!!!….

Thanx AoO, for trying them out.    Hey, it's not like I made those songs or nothing.  I just thought you might like them.    I listen to  them again with your comments in mind.   I hear what you are saying.  Perhaps it's not entire songs that could be related but few moments here and there.    Also I see what you are saying about Jazz too.  It's just that I don't necessarily see it as lack of structure but juxtaposition of multiple structures.  So it makes sense to me that my love of Prog eventually led to my love for Jazz present day.  Don't get me wrong though, I love Sabbath, Ozzy, Judas Priest, and Motorhaed, too.  Actually I used to listen to lot of Yngwie Malmsteen and Gary Moore, too.  But again that was already the beginning of my thirst for complexity.

Speaking of Spinal Tap, as funny as they are pretty damn good band, imo.LOL

'No one knows who they were or what they were doing.'

Pure pricelessness!
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 10:51

...no worries KK....i am always prepared to give other forms of music and bands a fair crack of the whip, but i believe, that because music is such an subjective thing, i find it very hard to be, well, fair i suppose....i listen to what people have to say, take heed of recommendations and give it a go.....but sometimes i do not feel the 'pay-off'......you are now well aware of my love for Floyd, but some of my friends think the band produces really boring records...to quote one mate, Floyd is "coma music"...swine..!!! 

...one thing i will say though, is that if i find i do not like 'listening' to certain songs or music, i do generally enjoy any live performances...for sure, if Crimson or any of the other bands you mentioned were playing live, i would gladly go along and watch.....i do tend to appreciate the talent involved regardless of my musical tastes....i find i can watch guitarists of any musical persuasion regardless of the style of music they play.....as a i mentioned before, seeing Asia was a good night out and Steve Howe's solo spot, was, well, pretty mesmerising, he played both classical guitar and the electric and all of it was superb....to counter that, i have seen many traditional 'metal' bands whose music i enjoy on record, but live, they have been fairly awful....so i guess it works both ways.... 

..the best thing about such discussions like this is people can offer up recommendations that would never be a conscious choice amongst other music fans, that way, we all get well-founded introductions to other forms of music that we would perhaps never hear....and that, i say, is a damn good thing...!!!

...right, must get prepared for  the coming evening of footie!!!!

..all the best KK....

..AoO...
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2008 at 10:37
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

...Hi there....

..i have been having a bit of a Pink Floyd day today, listening to music and watching vids on tinternet....

..one of my favourite bands and Comfortably Numb has always, always, been one of my top songs ever....so,.....i thought i would share this vid from You Tube of the re-united Floyd (minus Sid of course!!) performing the track at the Live 8 concert.....this version when i first watched it live, as it were, quite literally brought tears to my eyes...!!!....Gilmour's solo guitar work is just phenominal.....just another sad rock twit eh???!!!!Embarrassed...

..well, here is the link......enjoy if your that way inclined.....

..all the best......AoO...

I bought last week two Floyd CD's without entirely realising what they are.  They are both "UMMUGUMMA".   One is live and the other is a studio recording but not as the album was released. Do you want to buy them ?   I'm happy to keep 'em but think that you might be more of a Floyd fan than I am.    marlin@spugs.fsnet.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2008 at 10:48
Originally posted by nuvolari

..I bought last week two Floyd CD's without entirely realising what they are.  They are both "UMMUGUMMA".   One is live and the other is a studio recording but not as the album was released. Do you want to buy them ?   I'm happy to keep 'em but think that you might be more of a Floyd fan than I am.    marlin@spugs.fsnet.co.uk

....Hello Nuvolari....

.....thanks for your kind offer but i already have the album in my collection....the 'studio' cd does sound interesting i must admit, but any spare funds i have are currently all chanelled towards my young son...!!!!...hence, my music collection has to suffer, and will for a long time i suspect..!!!!Cry...however, i am sure there must be other Floyd fans on the site who maybe interested?...keep pushing it and you might find a buyer...good luck and thanks again...

..AoO...
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 19:56
I didn't know there as a Floyd thread here! I'm such a fan of them! So, I can post here my favorite pieces by them. This is "Seamus" from "Meddle":

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Feb-2012 at 20:04
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 21:50
Pink Floyd - Meddle - "Echoes":

Edited by Don Quixote - 28-Feb-2012 at 21:51
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 21:57

Edited by Don Quixote - 29-Feb-2012 at 21:57
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2012 at 02:25

Edited by Don Quixote - 12-Mar-2012 at 02:25
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 01:11

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Mar-2012 at 01:13
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 01:46
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 22:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12