Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samanid dynasty?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samanid dynasty?
    Posted: 10-May-2008 at 11:29
Here's an interdisciplinary question from a student of Viking-Age Scandinavia:

Many of the Islamic dirhems imported to Viking Scandinavia originated from the Samanid mints at Balkh and Bukhara. Around 965 the import of Islamic silver ended abruptly. Many historians have linked this with the decline and collapse of the Samanid dynasty at the end of the tenth century.

Exactly why did the Samanid dynasty end? Was this a failed attempt at state formation in the Transoxiana? Were the mints destroyed or did they simply run out of silver? Or did the whole fiscal administration just disappear?
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 11:47
Well I am curious about them too.

They were one of the very few original IRanian dynasties after the Arabic conquest. Their lands were very near to those of Turkic nations. They were conquered by one of them. Karakhanids. They were in close contact to steppe cultures and Turkic people.

And I think they were of sunni Islam if I am not mistaken. They influenced the steppes to adopt Islam widely. Especially Seljuk Beg was converted to Islam in their age.

Great Seljuk Empire owes much to them.

Also again if I am not mistaken Shahnameh was written under their custody. But completed during Gaznavid period.

Edited by Efraz - 10-May-2008 at 11:48
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by Efraz

Well I am curious about them too.

They were one of the very few original IRanian dynasties after the Arabic conquest. Their lands were very near to those of Turkic nations. They were conquered by one of them. Karakhanids. They were in close contact to steppe cultures and Turkic people.

And I think they were of sunni Islam if I am not mistaken. They influenced the steppes to adopt Islam widely. Especially Seljuk Beg was converted to Islam in their age.

Great Seljuk Empire owes much to them.

Also again if I am not mistaken Shahnameh was written under their custody. But completed during Gaznavid period.

exactly efraz, they say they are from Bahram Chobins line.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 17:49
The Samanids replaced the Tahiridsand were the second native dynasty to rule Persia and transoxania not the first. The family was distinguished in the court of the caliphate and in the politics of the eastern part of the empire however their most important legacy was their islamisation of the seljuq, which was their subsequent demise. The started but did not finish the persification of the culture of eastern part of the caliphate. It was the seljuqs and Ghaznavids who really finishsed the persification. The Samanids were still very fond of Arabic culture since the beginning.

Here is an article about the Samanids:

As for what happened to them, well, unfortunately they were the only civil state in the region and their resources were much limited. Their oponents, the Karakhanids were a tribal based empire and it had the support of the majority of non Iranians, who were mostly Turks. In those days it was really difficult to defeat such steppe empires with regular troops and the Samanids failed to take precaution and were invaded and divided.

Al-Jassas 
 Post Reply Post Reply