Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

you guys should read this about Alexander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: you guys should read this about Alexander
    Posted: 08-May-2008 at 14:41
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080423-alexander-great.html
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 16:40
Old news....and it's still a debate I think, though I also think it's not Phillip's grave.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 15:17
I do not agree. The remains of the skeleton were examined back then and scientists agree it was Philips. Also look at this:

The earliest securely dated barrel vault in Greece dates to the late 320s [B.C.], nearly a generation after the death of Philip II," Borza told National Geographic News.

That is not an argument. We're talking about 1 generation, not centuries. Just because the earliest is dated to the late 320, it doesn't mean there have never been earlier than that.

I don't see any concrete reasons for all these. I just feel it is another "I found Alexander the greats tomb" hysteria.

If Alexander was burried in Greece, then considering that his mother was alive, I believe he would have been burried in the Aecides burrial place in Pydna. I believe Olympia, would prefer to have her son burried in the burrial place where the people related to her side of the family were burried. Aecides, could be Royals too and with great ancestral fame, something that wouldn't degrade Alexander in any way.

Maybe Taphoi, who is an expert on the tomb theories and a member of Allempires could enlighten us. I have sent him a PM, lets hope he will notice.

Edited by Flipper - 10-May-2008 at 15:28

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 21:21
From what I've read the skeleton didn't have Phillip's eye injury and things like that

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 04:45
Originally posted by Vorian

From what I've read the skeleton didn't have Phillip's eye injury and things like that

That's exactly what i thought it had. Confused Anyway, i don't know if Taphoi will see the PM here but I got an answer from him in another way. Interresting points...Read below...

My Message:
Hello!
Since you're an expert on the theories about Alexanders tomb, I would like your opinion on Borzas new theory, regarding the tomb discovered by Andronikos.

Taphois answer:

I'm sceptical even about whether the Borza theory is new. It is really a continuation of an argument that has been going on for thirty years. Unfortunately, the proponents of Philip II in Tomb II, Hammond & Andronikos, are both dead, so Borza has been unopposed. His arguments remain slim. If you believe him, then you have to believe that the youthful horseman in the middle of the frieze on the facade of Tomb II is the mature Alexander involved in a hunt with Philip Arrhidaeus at Babylon in 323BC, even though Babylon is flat and the frieze has mountains! I prefer to believe the evidence of my own eyes that this is Alexander at circa 18 or 20 hunting with his father Philip II in the hills of Macedon. If so, then the tomb occupant must be Philip II.

The bold phrase is characteristic, not just in this case. I may recall various things where he expresses plain assumptions and skepticism rather than concrete evidence that can be backup up. Not to mention things that are completely bypassed...

Generally i doubt Alexander was burried in Greece. I can imagine that his body could have been transfered by his mother, but as I said before I doubt that she would have burried it next to his fathers family line. If there is a chance he was burried in Greece, that would be Pydna in my opinion.

Edited by Flipper - 11-May-2008 at 04:54

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 20:21
i admire him
 Post Reply Post Reply