Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question to Athiests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question to Athiests
    Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 15:27
Being as I'm never going to get see Richard Dawkins at one of his lectures, stand up and ask this question. I'll put it here instead..........

Most human societies have believed in God(s) in one form or another. To my knowledge, animals don't. I'm not certain but I guess my pet cat or the pigeons on my roof haven't made-up a fanciful myth to placate all their existential wonderings.

So humans have evolved the belief in God(s). This means they must gain some evolutionary advantage from doing this.

So my questions..........

1. What evolutional advantage do people gain from belief in God(s)?

2. Why do athiests stop utilizing this advantage?

3. Why do evolutionists like Dawkins want everyone to stop utilizing this advantage?

Edited by Paul - 10-Apr-2008 at 16:14
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 15:42
1. Comfort in the belief that there is purpose to life/something better after this life/someone cares/listens/provides.

2. They can deal with a pointless existence/the knowledge this is as good as it gets/they are on their own, and/or they can find substitutes for these demands elsewhere in friendship/family/society without the aid of the supernatural. And along with Agnostics, they perceive organised religion as man-made institutions which have power over men as their main goal, and not mental comfort, which is the purpose of faith.

3. 'cause they are jealous, and cannot stand the thought of others enjoying something they cannot have.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by Paul

I can think of more than one reason. Firstly, human being live their lives harmoniously with a belief in a higher power. Primitive man found in worship a way to placate the unknown, of which he lived in near daily fear. Worship fulfilled a psychological need, it helped settle the restless human mind and make for a more cohesive society.

Also, social elites were very fond of promoting themselves as 'chosen' by the deity to rule. Religion therefore became another (major) control mechanism for social elites to maintain their control. When new social elites overthrew or succeeded the old, they found it prudent to continue to invoke providential favour. This also helped keep society cohesive and reinforce obedience to leadership.

The world changes. Centuries ago many of the everyday problems which could only be explained by divine power can today be worked out by advances in education. The need for religion as a source of answers and as a philosophical crutch in the face of life's problems is today faced with unprecedented competition in the forms of science and secular education. Many atheists see the pros and cons of these alternatives as providing a better deal than religion has done traditionally.

3. Why do evolutionists like Dawkins want everyone to stop utilizing this advantage?

Because the advantages of religion also come with disadvantages. Religion acts as a transmitters of archaic value systems designed for people in places and times far removed from the contemporary world. See how literalists behave and this becomes evident. Would you put a person to death for wearing clothing made from two different types of thread.

I saw a clip a couple of years ago with Dawkins in it, in which he answered your question exactly. He noted that as an atheist, he believed that life was all we had. It is finite, and there is no evidence that anything follows after. So we should live it to the full, enjoying the most we can out of it. He considered that the religiously inspired violence in the world, the divides brought about by religion, the out of date value systems they carried, the senseless agonising over hell and guilt and a sense of falling short of severe expectations - he considered all of these things to be a horrible waste of emotion and time (finite resources) where people are cheating themselves out of living the very best life they can.

So really he considers that cons of religion so great that the now increasingly outdated evolutionary advantage it provides is too small in benefit to justify the costs.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 16:34
We've already talked about this somewhere but here are a few ideas:

1. Religion is a good way to create a set of norms meant to guarantee a group survival. In pre-modern societies the murder rate was particularly high. To prevent this an all-mighty and all-seeing nightwatcher imagined to punish bad deeds was pretty useful. The same way good religions insist on quite good strategies: have kids, work, be just, don't let yourself die, be generous with the poor, etc. Obviously cults that do not create these positive results never make it to the level of religion. For instance, a cult based on suicide will have little chance to have a second generation of followers.

2. Concentration is good for the brain. It releases endocrines. That's why meditating monks often look high. Prayers is a good way to reach a meditating stage.

3. A sophisticated answer could be that in the wild, animals have a vision of hell and paradise. Heaven would be to reproduce very successfully and thus have your selfish genes survive for ever. Hell being the contrary. Social life very much disturbs this, you are not allowed to mate with all the females you meet, you need something to compensate: the immortality of the soul pretty much does the trick.

5. Another reason could be resignation. We are a curious species, if we don't have the answer for something, we could be severely bothered. God could be a useful answer.

6. Religions also have a strong bonding element. It creates strong communities and thus allow to have access to spouses, credit and protection more easily than alone.

7. It is possible that religion channels aggressiveness towards other groups rather than other individuals. It thus makes a religious group more likely to dominate a non-religious one than the other.

The comparative advantage of religion is made obvious by the fact that pretty much every single society has one. But it is obvious that rapidly changing environment have made many of these advantages of church and religion seem very pass. A CCTV is more likely to decrease one's incentive to commit a crime than the fear of god. A bank brings you more opportunity for finding credit than belonging to a church, etc.

Some advantages may still exist. The relaxing effect of prayers has not disappeared. Others have been diminished but many still like it. For instance, many don't rely only on science to bring answers.

Religion comes with a cost (if anything the coin you give the priest once in a while). Aggressiveness may turn in a mere killing frenzy. The effect of the "good" norms of religion (thou shalt not kill) has decreased, but the one of the bad ones hasn't (thou shalt not put a condom). The ability to bring answers has been diminished by the realisation that so many religions existed in the first place, who is to say yours is the good one?

A society ruled by religion would thus be suboptimal theoretically. But nothing shows that less religious place fare specially better than more religious ones. Czech Republic (the most atheist country) should be the #1 power in the world if religion was significantly costly. On the other hand, within the USA, the most religious states are not the most prosperous. So religion has no massive macro effect (as long as we are not talking about the Talebans). Not being granted abortion, divorce and so on and/or having very politically influential priests does not make a country significantly worse.

One could point out that the richer the people get the more atheist they are, but it is a side effect, not a cause. A poor atheist is just as likely to stay so as a poor religious person.

The only thing we can remark is that the cost of religion has significantly lower in the past 300 years. There is no religious taxes anymore, religious practice became cheaper (a bible costs $2, you go to church less often, etc.). What we have nowadays is a religion light. Its cost has gone down, meaning that people are aware they are getting less out of religion than before. Religion has adapted.

People like Dawkins concentrate on whatever reminds us of the past high cost of religion. They are right to be offended to see some people paying too much for the potential benefices they can get out of religion. The same way one would be offended to see people paying 80% taxes. They focus on people in the West that try to make religion costlier (by preventing the march of science for instance). But they don't see the larger picture: religion light with lemon.
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by Paul

Being as I'm never going to get see Richard Dawkins at one of his lectures, stand up and ask this question. I'll put it here instead..........

Most human societies have believed in God(s) in one form or another. To my knowledge, animals don't. I'm not certain but I guess my pet cat or the pigeons on my roof haven't made-up a fanciful myth to placate all their existential wonderings.
My own reaction is the other way. While, again, I can't of course be sure, I suspect the higher, thinking mammals to invent fanciful myths to explain things. They don't of course have language to describe them in, but that's another matter.

Remember Russell's chicken, that figures the sunrise causes the farmer to come and feed him? Until the day the farmer's ready for roast chicken.... Smile

However, your questions are interesting.

So humans have evolved the belief in God(s). This means they must gain some evolutionary advantage from doing this.
Not necessarily. It merely indicates there is no evolutionary disadvantage to doing so.

For instance we have evolved four-fingers-and-a-thumb rather than five-fingers-and-a-thumb. Granted 'fingers-and-a-thumb has an evolutionary advantage, but the number of fingers isn't particularly relevant to anything.

I don't think male baldness has any evolutionary advantage either.

So my questions..........

From belief in God as such alone, nothing. There is an evolutionary advantage in some of the things religions preach (e.g. against abortion, against contraception, anything that maximises child production; sometimes dietary rules; taboos against incest; male circumcision in the desert).

(Note that there is no evolutionary advantage in such beneficial effects of religion as consolation in bereavement or removing fear of death.

However my own feeling is that these behavioural constraints arise from observation and that the 'orders from above' are generated as myths to explain why the society has the rules it does - i.e the taboo exists, and the god figure is invented to explain where the taboo comes from and why it should be followed.

Atheists can still avoid incest without needing a vengeful God to make them. Taboo -> myth to explain taboo -> scientific reason for following taboo.

However, it also needs to be taken into account that for our comfort we may have to avoid evolutionary advantageous behaviour - thus we may deliberately adopt the disadvantageous (evolution-wise) practice of birth control.

I don't. Evolutionists like me don't.

Edited by gcle2003 - 10-Apr-2008 at 19:25
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 19:34
It's a symptom of evolution rather than being of any advantage.  The human intellect has evolved such that it ponders questions such as the meaning of life.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 22:14
Originally posted by gcle2003

However, it also needs to be taken into account that for our comfort we may have to avoid evolutionary advantageous behaviour - thus we may deliberately adopt the disadvantageous (evolution-wise) practice of birth control.

Err. No. Or more precisely not exactly. The optimal number of children is shifting through time depending on mortality rate and importance of human capital.

It may be that we are in a period when the highest number of children is the optimal strategy but it has not always been so.
I am a free donkey!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 03:56
Aelfgifu has it right...

....did I just say that?!.....

DeadWinkHug

Edited by JanusRook - 11-Apr-2008 at 03:57
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 11:17
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Originally posted by gcle2003

Err. No. Or more precisely not exactly. The optimal number of children is shifting through time depending on mortality rate and importance of human capital.
What do you mean by 'optimal'? I agree we may well as individuals be better off with fewer people around, but the more children there are, the better chance that more of them will survive, whichis what evolution is all about.

Evolution is blind to our well-being.

It may be that we are in a period when the highest number of children is the optimal strategy but it has not always been so.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 15:58
Umberto Eco puts it nicely:

Humans have two sides, a physical and a psychical one. From physical point of view, they die. From psychical point of view, this fact displeases them.

So humans tend to create some kind of after life imaginary life that allows them to continue on living even after they're dead. Some eastern religions pose that we do not die but reincarnate. This creates a problem: If I do not know-i do not remember, who I was in my previous life, then what use is there for me. If I don't remember who I was, it's just as good as if I never existed. We do not want to survive as someone else, we want to survive as ourselves.

Monotheistic ones, Christianism for example, addresses the memory issue in another way: "if you don't behave, you go to hell. There you will always remember who you were and will be punished for your evil acts". The opposite of course applies for heaven.

So, to answer directly to Paul question, we believe (at least some do-not me) because we're afraid of dying.

Edited by Yiannis - 11-Apr-2008 at 16:00
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 17:10
[QUOTE=gcle2003][
What do you mean by 'optimal'? I agree we may well as individuals be better off with fewer people around, but the more children there are, the better chance that more of them will survive, whichis what evolution is all about.

Evolution is blind to our well-being.
[QUOTE]

By optimal I mean: the strategy that is the most likely to maximize one's reproductive success. Basically there are two options:

1. The more kids the better (the obvious one). If regardless of the resources put into their education and good health and well being, kids are just as likely to survive as they are to die, then you can say that it is a good idea in terms of evolution to have as many as possible. This is the case nowadays: you can safely assume that whether you are rich or not your kid will grow and have kids of his own. That is why many can afford to have only one.

2. The less kids the better (kind of the not-so-obvious option). If the survival of your kids depends on the amounts you are able to invest in them the question is totally different. Take for instance a fairly well-off peasant family of the middle ages. If they have 16 kids to have at least 2 survivors for sure, they will have to divide their "kid budget" between 16 cost centers. It is likely that each kids will have to work early on to bring some money in etc. On the other hand, if they decide to have only 4, they won't have to work early on since they will have 4 times more resources each devoted to them then in the previous scenario (meaning they won't have to be child labourers, they will have more food, their parents will be able to pay them so good stuff if they are sick, etc). In this case, it is possible that less kids is a better idea to ensure the passing of the genes. This is made clear by the fact that from 1200 t 1800, the rich English families had more children then the poor ones.

Besides, one's well-being does have an influence on evolution. In animals, it has been shown that high level of stress in the grand-parents' life meant high levels of stress for the grand-children and a decrease of the cognitive abilities. Similarly, famine and too fat a diet in quick succession when one's grand-parents ere toddlers or even still in the womb meant higher risks of heart disease. Epigenetic processes are only starting to be understood, but they are critically important.
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 17:14
Originally posted by Zagros

It's a symptom of evolution rather than being of any advantage. 
I like that. Thumbs%20Up
The human intellect has evolved such that it ponders questions such as the meaning of life.

Which gives humanity absolutely no evolutionary advantage over a cockroach.

Incidentally, thinking about humans and cockroaches, 'evolutionary advantage' is not so much what one species has over another, as what one individual within a species has over his rivals with regard to seeing his genes passed on.

That's why having no children is evolutionarily disadvantageous. In fact it stops evolution right there.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:11
I respect someone right not to believe in a creator but in my humble opinion all the above views are: theoretical,(right or wrong) speculative and subjective and amounts only to faith. The above views still do not change my mind about a creator. Only death will prove the existence of God or gods.

To some Athiests man is the sum of all things so in a sense man is his own god.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 03:36
There is a glitch in all of this.  There are several cultures that do not have a deity concept.  They don't have a need to explain everything.  They have an "it is what it is" attitude.  2 of these are Island cultures in Indonesia somewhere.  One of them doesn't even have a word for time. 

If belief in a supreme being is an evolutionay effect, why were these groups left out?

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply