Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Essay: Christianity is an inherently violent re...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essay: Christianity is an inherently violent re...
    Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 10:16
This essay is a good example of how pretty much any religion can be denigrated by out of context quotations and select historical events.

From History
Using history as the indicator, there is little doubt that Christianity has been an extremely violent religion. The expansion by the sword through pagan Europe, the Crusades, the Christian on Christian violence of the Dark Ages and Reformation periods, the genocide of the American Natives, and the forced imperialist rule of most of the world during the Colonial Age all testify to this.

Christians often forced compliance to their religion on others. Augustine, one of the must influential people in the development of Christianity, fully supported this practice quoting the Bible passage, Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. This violent fundamentalism has been far too common in Christian history.

Even today, Western armies lead by fundamentalist Christians occupy Muslim countries and support unpopular regimes on the citizens of other Muslim countries.

The Question of Inherency
The question goes further than simply whether Christians have been excessively violent. Obviously, they have. We have to realize though, that every religion has violent followers. The inventors of modern suicide bombing and by far the most prolific practitioner of it, the Tamil Tigers, are a fundamentalist Hindu group. Islam does not have a perfect record either.

But the question is this: Is Christianity inherently violent? That is, is it by its very nature and true practice a violent faith? I am afraid the answer is yes.

A prominent preacher justified the recent unprovoked invasion of Iraq by appealing to the Bible passage, let him who has no sword, sell his cloak and buy one. One of the chief political figures in fundamentalist Christianity went on international television to promote violence against Muslims. She said, We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity. Not only was she allowed to do so without legal repercussions (showing support for her ideas reach to the very top leadership), she received virtually no criticism from the wider Christian community at all and remains a key figure and best selling author.

If we merely dismiss these facts as the ravings of a few fanatics, we do so at our great peril. About 10 percent of the 2 billion Christians in the world are fundamentalists. Thats 200 million Christian fanatics worldwide, and they control the most power military in the world - the U.S. armed forces. And all of them are bent upon the exploitation of non-Christian lands.

Liberal Christians
The other 90 percent of Christians are not fundamentalists, but their beliefs are not based on a literal interpretation of the Bible. Unfortunately, this majority rarely speaks out against their fundamentalist brothers. By failing to do so, they enable the fundamentalists and will be lumped together with them in the minds of the non-Christian world. This is understandable though given the nature of the Bible. The Bibles vagueness and frequent contradictions make literal interpretation both difficult and unpleasant.

In any case, to be a non-fundamentalist and non-violent Christian they have to ignore many plain passages of the Bible. Christianity, unlike Islam, has a basic teaching that mandates hatred and abuse of people who follow other religions. Violence is mainstream; it is not just a misguided few. When you read verses from the Bible, you see how it instructs the killing of the infidel, and violence on outsiders.

Such passages from the bible as these:

And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

The LORD is a man of war.

He who sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

(Note: this means Christians have to kill four billion people alive today).

O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them

(Note: Allah as inaccurately pictured in the Bible is particularly bloodthirsty, killing over 32 million people, whereas Allah in the Quran killed only 10 people).

For I set all men every one against his neighbor.

David smote them there, and said, The LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me.

Many other examples are possible, but these should suffice.

New Testament
Some Christians like to say that their New Testament overrules all this violence. However, as you can see, this is not the case:

The New Testament upholds the old:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

It does not contradict the crimes of the old; it reaffirms them.

It does this not just in general, but explicitly:

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

It must be admitted that the New Testament does not have any specific commands to commit massacres, but that is simply because Christians at that time had no political or military power. As soon as they achieved some, 1700 years of conquest and prosecution resulted.

Proof of the Peaceful Islamic Faith
In contrast, we know Islam is a religion of peace. To quote the Quran, English translation:

Oh mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (Not that you may despise each other). 49:13

Seest thou not that we have set the evil ones on against the unbelievers to incite them with fury? So make no haste against them, for we but count out to them a (limited) number (of days). 19:83,84

(God has knowledge) of the (Prophets) cry, O my Lord! Truly these are a people who will not believe! But turn away from them, and say, Peace! 43:88,89

Repel evil with that which is best. 23:96

You can clearly see that Islam teaches that we should be at peace with those who do not accept Allahs teachings.

Conclusion
When Christian fundamentalists launch unprovoked attacks that kill tens of thousands of innocent civilians, there will surely be a release of anger aimed at Christians. It will be difficult to be overly concerned about what type of Christian a person is if they have not made it absolutely clear beforehand.

At this very moment, fundamentalist Christian forces occupy several Muslim countries and prop up several other unpopular regimes in other Muslim countries. They have plans to do more. Already the rhetoric against Iran is being turned up, a country they have had a long history of interfering with. We must wake up to this fact and realize that our struggle is not against other countries; it is against fundamentalist Christians, and indeed Christianity and its inherent violence.

http://zealfortruth.org/2008/02/christianity-is-an-inherently-violent-religion/

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 12:42
I'm going to burn Iran's embassy.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 13:02

Yes because Jasen is such an Islamic name.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 14:39
Hm. I don't know whether to laugh -- about the author's distortion and manipulation of the "inherent" nature of Christianity -- or to be saddened -- by the accuracy of some of his statements regarding the distortion and manipulation of Christianity's inherent tenets by some of its followers. I think, then, that I shall merely write a response from the Orthodox perspective, once I get a bit of time. The article is deeply flawed and innacurate -- not to mention extremely selective -- but it does contain some criticism which is valuable, if not for its own sake then for what we may draw from it. Wait for it. Wink

-Akolouthos
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 15:56
That's the whole point of it, Akolouthos.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 16:05
Originally posted by Richard XIII

I'm going to burn Iran's embassy.
Do it Sunday, man, otherwise you'll be accused you attacked NATO.

That kind of twisted view of some faith is similar to the article in the starting post of the topic Confronting Millitant Atheism.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by Zagros

That's the whole point of it, Akolouthos.

I like it, truly I do. Smile 

After all the complaining -- justified, mind you -- that we hear from the West over the reaction in the Muslim world to western attacks on Islam, it will be interesting to see how western Christians respond to an Islamic attack on Christianity. Most of the attacks on Christianity are perpetrated by the secular western press, so there is a degree less separation, which may make it easier for Christians to bear -- and, consequently, may make it harder for Christians to identify with their Muslim counterparts, who traditionally receive criticism from those outside of their faith/cultural tradition. Muslim criticisms of Christianity have received less press over here. Consequently, we have here in this thread the opportunity for real dialogue.

I'll certainly try to get back to this today or tomorrow; please forgive me for the delay -- it's been busy lately. Unhappy 

-Akolouthos
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 16:25
Attacks on Christianity and Judaism as religions in the Muslim world are largely barred since they in effect are also attacks on Islam.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by Zagros

Attacks on Christianity and Judaism as religions in the Muslim world are largely barred since they in effect are also attacks on Islam.

Of course by attacks I refer to scholarly attacks/criticisms/refutations/etc.  -- the Muslim equivalents of Pope Benedict's remarks at Regensburg, which are in quite a separate category from things like the Danish cartoon controversy. The above article is an example.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Hm. I don't know whether to laugh -- about the author's distortion and manipulation of the "inherent" nature of Christianity -- or to be saddened -- by the accuracy of some of his statements regarding the distortion and manipulation of Christianity's inherent tenets by some of its followers. I think, then, that I shall merely write a response from the Orthodox perspective, once I get a bit of time. The article is deeply flawed and innacurate -- not to mention extremely selective --but it does contain some criticism which is valuable, if not for its own sake then for what we may draw from it. Wait for it. Wink

-Akolouthos

That's precisely the point; the recent attacks on Islam too are just selective "copy and paste" responses.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:23

Yes but most of the muslims aswell have taken an attack on some of them as an attack on the religion.You see how quick is Iran to play the religion card when it feels threatened by big powers,it wants to rely the people around the cause of Islam,when in fact Iran is not attacked for being muslim but for pure political reasons.And any time a big Islamic nation is threatened their dictators are quick to use the religion card to rely people around them.

even Sadam Husein did it,the man who has never been religious,a man that has done more harm to muslims and religion in Iraq then anybody,just before the invasion of Iraq by the USA it used the religion card to get suport.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 04:48
I have decided to use this article as the foundation of a thread comparing interpretations of violence in Islam and Christianity which may be found here:

-Akolouthos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 05:20
These versus below have on a spiritual meaning and in no way inovoke war amongst any of the major branches of Christianity or Jews today- I suppose its true "liberalism is a mental disorder." I wil admit Christians can be exclusive concerning salvation but so are many faiths.

Such passages from the bible as these:

And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

The LORD is a man of war.

He who sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

(Note: this means Christians have to kill four billion people alive today).

O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them

(Note: Allah as inaccurately pictured in the Bible is particularly bloodthirsty, killing over 32 million people, whereas Allah in the Quran killed only 10 people).

For I set all men every one against his neighbor.

David smote them there, and said, The LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me.

Many other examples are possible, but these should suffice.

New Testament
Some Christians like to say that their New Testament overrules all this violence. However, as you can see, this is not the case:

The New Testament upholds the old:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

It does not contradict the crimes of the old; it reaffirms them.

It does this not just in general, but explicitly:

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Sukhbaatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sukhbaatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 10:05
It's a widely known fact that part of mainstream Christian beliefs is that any non-Christian is going to hell. This pushes them to evangelise.

Almost all embrace this belief, but not all are violent. Some just invite you to Church where you can just show up to steal their food and pickup their ladies LOL

If you reject their offer, then they just spend all night praying for you at Church, some however - even break down and cry in front of you saying "You are such a nice person! I don't want you to go to hell!" It's rather sweet really heh

However, then you get the not so nice ones, who are rather rude, and would insult you and your belief system with a damning tongue condemning you to hell. These people are very common amongst fundamentalists too. Then finally you get those ones who use this belief to justify human genocide, cultural genocide, wars and crusades, colonisation, extermination of non-christians, etc etc.

Heh, there are however - Christians who do not believe in the mainstream doctrine. In fact, they believe everyone finds "God" their own way, and "God" is not a being to them, but rather just a spirit. They believe all religions, including their own has bad eggs and good eggs, and encourage each other along with themselves to stay open-minded and accept other people's cultures and beliefs. FEW however, are like this.

So all the criticism against Christianity at present in my opinion - I believe it's completely justified.
 Post Reply Post Reply