Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Future Weapons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Weapons
    Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 15:59
Future weapons is one of my favourite programmes on tv, some of the things they show are phenominal and occasionally a bit scary, i only left the british army 12 years ago, and that programme already makes it seem like the dark ages.

What sparks my curiosity is this series focus is usually on  nato, and israeli advancements.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any insight into what russia and china military have in store for the future, in technology terms my knowledge is 12 years out of date as it is, are they light years behind nato, or keeping pace and catching up ?
long live the king of bhutan
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 17:03
I would assume nations such as China and Russia are behind in technology but use less resources by leapfrogging research by stealing/buying the technology after it's been developed. In a book about the rise of Asian military power, "Fire in the East," the author estimates this strategy of leapfrogging would keep countries such as China and Russia at least 4-5 years behind.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 15:50
Originally posted by longshanks31

Future weapons is one of my favourite programmes on tv, some of the things they show are phenominal and occasionally a bit scary, i only left the british army 12 years ago, and that programme already makes it seem like the dark ages.

What sparks my curiosity is this series focus is usually on  nato, and israeli advancements.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any insight into what russia and china military have in store for the future, in technology terms my knowledge is 12 years out of date as it is, are they light years behind nato, or keeping pace and catching up ?

R&D in new weapons technology is extremely expensive and no nation other than the US can do unilateral advancements.  The ways you can get around this monetary problem is 1.) combine forces with other nations (Eurofighter, CVF, Horizon Frigates) 2.) outright technology purchase (KDX-III destroyers, Atago Destroyers, F-100 Frigates) 3.) Steal

The PLA (Mainland China) has made significant leaps in weapon development.  Their latest fighter, the J-10, though more or least obsolete by western standards is a jump of 2 generations.  Before the J-10, China best domestic produced fighters were Mig 21 derivatives.  With proper avionics the J-10 has a potential to be comeptitive with the Rafale and Eurofighter in terms of capability. 
 Post Reply Post Reply