Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Experimental Archaeology discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experimental Archaeology discussion
    Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 01:15
Certainly... Big%20smile
The larger nodules are on the table but that bag is full of large flakes...

There are many speckled with phenocrysts but some are beautiful... Casa Diablo

Edited by Goban - 20-Mar-2008 at 01:36
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 01:48
Beautiful obsidian. Expensive looking moose billet too.

You realise you paid less for all that obsidian than I paid on postage getting my lump to me.

Here's mine, before and after I've clobbered it.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2008 at 21:07
Originally posted by Paul

I know what you mean, they can be a little distainful of amateurs. One archaeologist I know did a re-escavation of a site. It had previously been escavated by antiquarians in the 1920's. The only mention he gave of the prior excavations on the site roports was "site sustained some damage in the 1920's"

As am amateur myself I agree with your dislike of the disdainful attitude of "experts." Though in the case of 1920s amateur antiquarians based on what I know of those types from those times one would think that such people not be very careful. *shrug*
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2008 at 21:18
I adore this kind of stuff. I think seeing how ancient tools, weapons, buildings, etc. may have been made is incredibly fascinating. I remember watching a TV show showing how Archimedes' sunlight focusing "death ray" set Roman warships attacking Syracuse on fire, dang was that guy clever!!!
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12