Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Native Americans on all empires???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Native Americans on all empires???
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:17
I call them Native elders, I still have one. 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:57

Perhaps people interested should start by learning the language of the tribe or nation they want to know better. I believe if a person makes the huge effort to learn a language is because they are really interested in the culture.

Don't you think?

Penguin

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:08
I agree. I know Ojibwa and Mohawk dialects. 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:51
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

I call them Native elders, I still have one. 

No doubt authentic ones do exist.   I am confident ahtt you have one.

There are evidently false, psuedo New Age ones as well.  Here are some links illustrating the points made in my previous post that many peole (including well meaning ones) have confused New Age spirituality with Native American beliefs.

Originally posted by pinguin

Perhaps people interested should start by learning the language of the tribe or nation they want to know better. 

I agree completely.  Especially in regards to the endangered Native American languages (there are many in the USA).  Student of these languages do humanity a huge favor.

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Feb-2007 at 00:08
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 06:21
Cryptic these sites make me sick. They're very embarrassing. It is not your fault to put these up. I never knew about the subject. And for your second reply, I agrees with your there too.  

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 07-Feb-2007 at 10:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:01
It is easy to unmask New Age loonies. They love the words: vibrations, christals, Gaia and holistic. If anywhere in a speech you pick those words, be certain the loony is a New Age follower LOL.

I am not Native American, however as any people in my country, I do have some native ancestors. However, loving my land as I do, I have a great interest in learning about the Native American culture, of my own country, of course. I have tried hard to learn something of the language, traditions, religion and arts, not to be accepted in a tribe, but to teach my kids to respect the land and the peoples were they were born. I love Mapuche poetry and songs, because of the rythm and sounding, for instance, and I try to understand what they mean.

Somehow knowing some facts make me very happy and connected with the land. Knowing things like the ancient names of the hills downtown my city, from were the ancient Inca trail passed or that that mountain was sacred and this other one had on top an pre-columbian fortress.

When I went for holydays last summer to visit a lake called Vichulafken, I was able to descomposse the name in Vicu=serpent and Laftken=lake, and I understood the name meant "lake with the shape of a serpent", which is the actual shape of that lake.

I don't know, things like that make me feel happy, and feel that life is a lot longer than our short personl lifes.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 07-Feb-2007 at 08:05
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Cryptic these sites make me sick. They're very embarrassing. 
Maybe small steps can be taken to combat the fakes.  The fakers themselves are not going to stop anytime soon.  But.... Sponsors might be persuaded not to take action. 

For example, a letter from a Tribal Chairman may convince a book store (or even a chain of bookstores) to have seperate sections for "New Age" and Native American items.  Likewise, a letter from a Tribal Chairman may also convince orgainizers of  "metaphysical fairs" not to identify certain presenters in their promotional literature as offering instruction in Native American spirituality , but to instead identify their instruction as "Wiccan" or "New Age".

Limiting complaints to only the most blatantly fake material and fake presenters might yield good results.  

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:39
OMG!!!! I hate fakes! They must be stopped! Angry
Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 23:29
You can generally tell the New Age nonsense in Australia when they refer to the indigenous religion as the Dreamtime.
There is apparently a book written by a former miss-some-American-State about some supposed tribe in the "outback". In the book she describes how when an elder wishes to die, and they can get as old as 150, they just walk out into the desert and vanish into sand. My Aboriginal Studies supervisor was so unimpressed when he found that a student he respected asked him if the book was true or not. I mean c'mon people.

I also have to have a good laugh when people say "iam not a religious person, but I am very spiritual". If someone does say this to you simply reply by saying, "So, you worship your dead great grandfather then, how very interesting".

The truth behind the "Dreaming" is considerably better than the nonsense the New Age smegheads believe in anyways.
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 23:35
Ya really, people believe in anything they see and/or hear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456