Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The influence of Chinese civilization in SE Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The influence of Chinese civilization in SE Asia
    Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 07:13
Hey, guys. I think we are going a little bit off topic now.  How about Chinese influences in SE Asia?  Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:17
Ill look at it in my own perspective, here in the Philippines, the Chinese influence is as much prevalent as the influence of the Middle Eastern traders that ventured here years ago, though this is because of a modern migration of Chinese in this region, which may number from 1 million to a total of 10 million, during the early years of the Philippines and when it was occupied by the Spaniards, the Chinese were threated as third class citizens, allocated in  slums and in fact lived in isolation to both the Filipino Populace and the Spanish one, there major contributions at that time were not centered in religion nor architectural design, neither language as well but on food. a large number of food could be traced to Chinese cuisine. even today, the chinese seem to marry only fellow chinese in this country, though there are various reasons for this, a few claim they are preserving their culture, some that they do not mix with something lesser (I find this offensive and shocking), that they are limited in number and must produce more (more shocking, 1.3 billion my last reading world wide) and etc.

In regard to other south east asian countries, Philippines during the start of its republic was more open to foreigners, Ill cite as examples, Thailand and Malaysia where the Chinese populations werent given a chance to learn their own language and laws were created as measures for this.

In essence most countries in this region were more culturally affected by the Middle East culture and South Asian culture than that by Chinese culture even though by proximity, China was nearer.

Edited by Julius Augustus - 09-Apr-2008 at 15:19
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 06:34

One more example of Chinese cultural influence is the Chinese traditional lunar calendar used in Thailand.

Σαυρομάτης
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 18:30
another is pancit. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 19:09
influence due to chinese civ in my country is... in food...of course.. lol. BTW.. cos of that..
in my country we hv Peranakan, Baba-Nyonya and Straits Chinese are terms used for the descendants of the very early Chinese immigrants to the Nusantara region, including both the British Straits Settlements of Malaya and the Dutch-controlled island of Java among other places, who have partially adopted Malay customs in an effort (chronological adaptation) to be assimilated into the local communities. (wiki)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12