Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tarim Basin Mummies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarim Basin Mummies
    Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 02:14
Getting late so I thought I would throw this out!!
When I did my research on the Sacklar exhibit for the Museum of Cycladic Art in Athens, Greece I found an interesting theory by Colin Refrew.
He theorized, based on the current archaeological evidence, that around the time of the early Shang dynasty 1700 B.C. Nomadic Indo European tribes could have brought the wheel, the horse and the art of Metallurgy to the Han Chinese. It is hotly debatd by the Chinese of course!!
11O and have to get up early for school work- ZZZZ!!
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 14:59

Specifically, the earliest of the Tarim Basin mummies, including that of the "Beauty of Loulan" can be dated to c. 2000 BC. 

The earliest evidence of horse domestication took place c. 4500 BC on the Pontic-Caspian steppe. 

The evidence of cultural drift in central Asia at this period was from west to east.

The Old Chinese words for wheels, wheelspokes, axles, and chariots, have Indo-European etymologies. 

The spoked wheel and the chariot did not appear in China until about 1500 BC.

The names Qilian and Kunlun in Chinese for certain mountains are derived from IE Tocharian and mean "holy, heavenly", implying a Tocharian presence in these mountainous regions.

The Bronze Age in the Tarim began by about 2000 BC.

The Bronze Age in original China didn't begin until about 1500 BC.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 04:12
Originally posted by Sharrukin

The Old Chinese words for wheels, wheelspokes, axles, and chariots, have Indo-European etymologies. 

Would you please give us this vocabulary?  

Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 05:42

I saw the NOVA presentation on T.V. a few years ago.  They seemed to come to the conclusion that the Tarim mummies were Tocharians.  The Tocharians were an Indo-European people who spoke a language that had Celtic characteristics.  They had moved east from the Black Sea area in a what was known as the "Great Migrations."  It was interesting that some of the mummies were dressed in plaid garments.  Some of them also wore pointed caps which were common among the Scythians.

Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 06:36
After viewing the Tarim Basin mummies, we now know that it is no longer true to say "dead men don't wear plaid."
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 03:23

Would you please give us this vocabulary?

The author doesn't go into specifics except in the case of "chariot" in another part of her book.  She cites Old Chinese klyag (later, che) as an example, which compares to IE *kwel or *kwekwel, "chariot, wheel". 

She also cites another author who finds a connection between Old Chinese myag, a court priest/doctor, with Iranian, magus, "priest".

Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 11:31

I'm interested to know/view someof these "Tarim Basin Mummies". Is there any site where I can know/learn a little bit more about it?

Thanks

Sikander

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 20:05
here is a web site I found on Yahoo!!
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http% 3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dtari m%2Bbasin%2Bmummies%26sm%3DYahoo%2521%2BSearch%26fr%3DFP-tab -img-t%26toggle%3D1&h=150&w=200&imgcurl=www.exn.ca%2Fnews%2F images%2F2000%2F04%2F17%2F20000417-urumchi.jpg&imgurl=www.ex n.ca%2Fnews%2Fimages%2F2000%2F04%2F17%2F20000417-urumchi.jpg &size=7.0kB&name=20000417-urumchi.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww .exn.ca%2FMummies%2FUrumchi.cfm&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exn.ca %2FMummies%2FUrumchi.cfm&p=tarim+basin+mummies&type=jpeg&no= 1&tt=6

He looks like he is just sleeping!! or she???
 Post Reply Post Reply