Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern History Books (post-WWII)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern History Books (post-WWII)
    Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 02:25

Also, perhaps a good place to list general history books.  (I kept debating whether to open a seperate thread for that or not)

J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century; by Tom Shippey, ~ 328 pages.  The only biography I've read on Tolkien.  Overall, I found it to be a quality book on arguably the greatest author of the 20th century.  It also discusses tolkiens lesser works besides the well known Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the Silmarillion.  (I could have sworn I've already mentioned this book on here somewhere but can't remember or find it so...)

The Swedish Secret: What the United States Can Learn from Sweden's Story; by Earl Gustafson, ~ 193 pages.  Written by a former Minnesota Legislator about the differences between how Sweden's government has evolved and adapted versus the US.  I dislike a lot of things about the US government and naturally found Sweden's way of doing things far better.  Even one who has a positive outlook on US governance would, I think, enjoy this book because of the contrast between the two systems and the authors knowledge and insight. 

Strategy; by B.H. Liddell Hart, ~ 405 pages.  (I feel like I've mentioned this book as well, but can't remember as usual, so bear with me if this is a repeat)  Hart is well known for his strong opinions about armoured warfare in the modern era, WWII as the major focus.  However, this book covers a great breadth of history.  Its broken down into four parts:  5th century b.c. up to 1914, the first world war, the strategy of the second world war, and fundamentals of strategy and grand strategy.  Hart is clearly well informed about warfare beyond the modern variant and has a lot to say about it.  I found his insights and opinions thought provoking. 

A History of England:   Prehistory to 1714; by Clayton and David Roberts, ~ 444 pages.   A general history about england up to the reign of Ann.  What I think makes this book a good one is the further reading section at the end of each chapter, which lists a good amount of books one can read that discuss aspects of what was mentioned in the preceding chapter with the authors mini review of it.  It discusses in greater detail aspects of english history usually glossed over in other general histories:   economics, trade, population, economic policies of various rulers/dynasties and the impact of those policies etc.  I found it to be very informative. 

*More to come.

Edited by Justinian - 18-Jan-2008 at 02:51
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply