Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kazakh Hunting in Mongolia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kazakh Hunting in Mongolia
    Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:29

Accounts of Mongol hunting abound. In Storm from the East, the author describes when Genghis Khan had his mounted army form into one giant arc extending 100 km across and gallop for days, herding all the animals within the arc into a trap as the arc closed around them.

I just came across this footage of the Kazakhs's love of hunting, in a way both unorthodox and medieval by most standards.

Edited by Constantine XI - 16-Jan-2008 at 04:29
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 16:14
I saw something similar in a tv documentary last year. There is some sort of festivity where all the Kazakhs of the region bring in their trained eagles to show off unique prowess.

As far as the Mongols of old, hunting is a pastime that not only brought in sustenance but training for war.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 16:30
why does the clip show Kazakh eagle hunters?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 02:15
Yep this is the october KAZAKH eagle festival....held in bayan-olgii!!!
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 03:21
There is a Kazakh ethnic minority living in Mongolia. AFAIK there are 2 Kazakh aimaks (districts) there.  Modern Mongols do not hunt with golden eagles, Kazakhs do.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 16-Jan-2008 at 03:26
Σαυρομάτης
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 04:28
I did notice the clip said they were Kazakhs, though the clip itself was shot in Mongolia. I will change the title of the thread to keep everyone happy.

Still it is a fascinating clip, show some superb falconry (or eaglery, if that's a word). I wonder if these birds were somehow made use of in battle - though perhaps I'm letting my imagination run away with me.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 05:10
Smile
Yeah, battle eagles would be too much.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply