Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heimat ? Home, what does it mean for you ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heimat ? Home, what does it mean for you ?
    Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 07:03
There's a nice German word, that should describe the place where you are at home.
Heimat - Home, that's not only a place, not only a piece of earth. Heimat - that are emotions, impressions, your family, friends or simple the place where you feel home.

Do you know this moments, where you notice the smell again, the same smell was in your grandparent's cellar. Do you remeber the sounds of your childhood. No, i don't mean the screaming of your young sister or the shouting of your teacher, i mean the noice of passing trains form the remote railway, the noise of the ring of the milkman, who came once a week.
The sight of the skyline of your hometown. A special taste of a meal, your mom prepared once?

In short, do you have a Heimat. A spiritual one? Or a concret? Is it possible, that you will feel homesick?

Please, tell us your emotions.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 12:34
The docks.

Southampton Old Docks, preferably, but they've been turned into a marina. London docks aren't docks any more. Le Havre was still good last time I was there.

Nothing like gettng on and off a boat as a regular foot passenger and maybe be able to sit in a bar or cafe and watch what's going on.

Or even just sit across the river and watch the liners going in and out.

Eheu fugaces.

Edited by gcle2003 - 13-Jan-2008 at 12:34
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 22:32
Ulrich did you miss Germany Unhappy

I am in Nicosia now, i miss Istanbul; but when i am in Istanbul i miss Cyprus....Confused
There is a good old saying in Russian for this situation; "Harasho tam gde nas njet" wich means "There is beautiful, where i am not" Tongue
I'm not an heimatluss but thats how i feel, maybe i have 2 heimat...
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 04:42
"Wherever I might roam, where I lay my head is home"

Personally I love to move around. Home in the spiritual sense is with friends, healthy living, good books and everything else that nourishes the soul. A location is just a backdrop to that, and it needs to be changed every once in a while or it gets too boring and predictable.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 15:47
The Polders in winter. Endless fields, the rigid water-ditch system that divides it into neat rectangles, endless cloudy gray sky, a strong cold wind.  And the windblown sound of the Black-tailed Godwit. My land.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 16:27

Edited by Styrbiorn - 24-Jun-2008 at 07:46
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 02:54
Ulen, Minnesota; my little rural hometown of 500 people. Spending the long summer days cuddled up on a lawn chair under a huge maple tree in my parent's yard reading, or hiking through the river-side forest trails just north of town. Enjoying the exuberant beauty of Spring after a long Minnesota winter.

This picture was taken in 1987, a year after I was born:

Edited by Odin - 23-Jun-2008 at 03:00
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 21:38
Originally posted by erkut

Ulrich did you miss Germany Unhappy

I am in Nicosia now, i miss Istanbul; but when i am in Istanbul i miss Cyprus....Confused

There is a good old saying in Russian for this situation; "Harasho tam gde nas njet" wich means "There is beautiful, where i am not" Tongue

I'm not an heimatluss but thats how i feel, maybe i have 2 heimat...

When I was in Turkey I missed the Pacific Northwest and even though it has been a year and a half since I left Turkey I miss it and my friends there. Istanbul is too big and crowded but I loved the historic district and since my late Papoo was born in Istanbul I have roots there; which made the city more special to me. One old apartment had Greek written above the doorway and I use to stop to look and wonder about its previous residents. The apartment was empty and it was no longer in use and it was next to an open fish market and a Greek (Rum) Orthodox Church. and I would feel a sense of sadness about the Greeks who were no longer there. The east half of Washington state, N. Idaho and Montana are home to me because of all the natural beauty here but Greece is my ethnic home and in many ways so is Turkey since I am Byzantine or Roman (Rum-Rewm) by ancestry; mother's side.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 21:51
Besides my current residence , I would say the library in my home city. Actually, pretty much all of the libraries I visited during my childhood. They've always had a special atmosphere, they just bring back all those memories and emotions and there's just something about the smell of the books that makes me feel... home.
 Post Reply Post Reply