Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to Become a Historian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Become a Historian
    Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 00:52
As a history undergraduate who wants to pursue a career as a professional historian, I would like to know what you do or have done to help pave the way in becoming a historian. Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Get published in a peer-reviewed journal or start a book. Some universities offer an undergraduate journal otherwise begin by publishing in the uni magazine or in your local paper.

2. Get practical work experience. Volunteer or gain an internship at a museum or historical society.

3.Become a Research Assistant for a professor or a graduate student. Some universities offer an internship program.

4. Join a historical society or history club at your university. They can offer internships or opportunities to publish and if youre brave, you could submit papers when conferences have a call for papers to present.

5. Become a tutor.

I would like to know if you have any more suggestions and your personal experiences with these.
Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 19:10

If one is interested in writing, I would suggest to first focus on publishing in peer-reviewed journals and magazines.  If you're dedicated and send articles even after some have been denied then you'll ultimately be published.  In order to practice writing I'd suggest to write for free journals and for journals not looking for recognized academics.  I would suggest looking into magazines such as Military History and Military Heritage.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 20:30
It's hard to do that when one has qualifications from a university though... I would like to do that (I was considering doing something for the "ancient warfare" magazine...) but I'm not sure that they would accept something from someone as young as me. Also, would getting published in any form now help in postgraduate areas for reputational purposes and the purposes of showing how much experience one has?

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 08-Jan-2008 at 20:31
Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 15:30
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

It's hard to do that when one has qualifications from a university though... I would like to do that (I was considering doing something for the "ancient warfare" magazine...) but I'm not sure that they would accept something from someone as young as me.

I only have two years of university studies, and those were in mechanical engineering.  I left college to join the U.S. Army, and upon figuring out that my future was in academic studies I decided to move to Spain.  So, now I'm waiting to begin the university here in Madrid.  That said, I don't have any university studies - the magazine you write for doesn't need to know your age.  If you write well they'll mail you back and offer you a contract, and then probably ask you some personal information to include it in the magazine (where you're writing from, studies, etc.).  Just don't mention anything about titles or studies, and focus your 'biography' on other things that you can say about yourself (moderator of All Empires forums, for example).

Some journals may expect a professor to write for them, but you should shy away from journals and approach magazines sold in local stands or in bookstores.  If you have a particular magazine in mind, look online for writing guidelines (most magazines should have them) and make sure the magazine is written by freelance writers.  For example, Military History was until recently written by a fixed crew - not it's open to freelance writing. 

Also, would getting published in any form now help in postgraduate areas for reputational purposes and the purposes of showing how much experience one has?

If you're looking at a history major, and you're looking to get your PhD then I don't doubt it.  PhD studies are normally undertaken with professors you know, and so they'll be more willing to attend to you the more they know you and the more they respect you.  If they know you've written articles (use them in dissertions for their clases as sources, for example) then that's only positive.
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 10:44
If you're a history undergraduate, the best way is thus (so I have found)
2.1 or a 1:1 degree (the subject doesn't usually matter, but of course it helps if it is history), an MA in a relevent historical subject, ie if you wish to be an academic historian on the subject of the British Empire chose a taught MA in Imperial and Commonwealth Studies or Modern South East Asian Studies. In your MA you should chose options tailored to your intended academic interests, and produce a dissertation on your specific area that you will look to "dominate" at professional level.
The best step after an MA would be to apply for a research degree, either an MPhil or a PhD (usually the best idea is to apply for an MPhil in the hopes of being upgraded to a PhD after your first year).
Some Universities offer teaching opportunities alongside your research degree, either paid of non-paid. Whichever it is, jump at it, because it does provide invaluable experience, not just for the CV but for yourself, as teaching can be rather intimidating (trust me).

After 3 or 4 years, take your shiny PhD and apply for as many fellowships as you can, or research assistant positions, and take these couple of years to try and publish one or two articles in a relevent academic journal. Having a few publications under your belt before applying to your chosen university as a professor is invaluable (and often required).

Then perhaps you're ready to look for a professorship and settle down to a long life pursuing your chosen historical subject as a lecturer on about 25-45k a year.

Good luck, hope that helps!
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 11:51
Thanks for all this help - I guess the best way is simpy dedication. If one wants to do it enough, then they can.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 01:48
Aster here are two pieces of advice learned the hard way:

1) For English-speaking students, the US is of course an option to consider (they have ten times more unis than in England). In this case, writing for non-scientific reviews is a real plus. Not that real peer-reviewed ones would hurt but they focus on your willingness to do things, so basically anything is potentially good.

2) Specially for you if you are interested in Ancient History, you should always keep a door open in the case you ultimately fall out of love with the subject. Not mentioning than financial issues may force you to get a career in the real world for a while before going back to the academic life. Thus you should get classes that would give you skills more easily marketable than fluent Latin and ancient Greek. So get some classes in economics, development, finance, psychology or geography (try to get a BS while getting your MA in history). Besides it may shed new lights on your own historic researches.

Best of luck

Oh yeah one more thing: try to master several modern languages it is a real plus whatever option you take)

Edited by Maharbbal - 14-Jan-2008 at 01:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 04:14
If you want a career in acedemia than its the way to go. The main reason I decided against it and went for Law was for the reason the Maharbbal mentiones, financial security. In fact by keeping this as a hobby and having a professional degree for livlihood offers you a good base, which you can use later when you are financially secure. You can also do an external degree (Uni of London thats the main recognized degree) in your spare time.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 07:58
I'd say, just write something original (doesn't have to be true), make a wikipedia page for yourself (also doesn't have to be true... per the Gene Weingarten example), and let the job interviews roll in. Honestly, there are some serious quacks in the "academia," so don't let things like historical factuality limit your options. Once you've got a name for yourself, you can always retract all of your previous statements and get down to the business of actual historical analysis. And by that point, you've garnered some publicity for yourself, and hopefully made a little bit of money. A little creativity goes a long way in this field.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 09:06
I think I'm fine for finances - I have a whole family who are eager to support me and supported my sister throughout her PhD and I have a weird inheritance from some nutty great german uncle or something like that.
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 20:17
'For English-speaking students, the US is of course an option to consider (they have ten times more unis than in England). '

- They may have a hundred more, but that doesn't mean much.
The reason why I believe the UK is a better option to study history academically is geographical, with many of the world's best archives/museums/sites right in Britain and more specifically London itself. Furthermore, it has extremely easy access to the rest of Europe, benefits I have myself found great. Studying in the US tends to limit your historical options, but it is a good choice if what you want is American history, of course.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 20:29
I largely agree with HaloChanter, although it's worth to note that the Library of Congress has a lot of archival resources on European history (especially on the world wars).  But, I also like the UK's classes more (from what I've experienced in universities in the United States).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 23:45
Hello to you guys,

My name is Jose. I go to Metropolitan State College of Denver in Denver, Colorado. I am majoring in World History and minoring in French. I gotta say that I am a fanatic of history, but I believe that I have not yet acquired the skills s good historian can have. I have not done, neither do, any of the suggestions that are given at the top of this page. Other than those, does anyone else have something he or she would like to share on what it takes to become a really good historian???  
 Post Reply Post Reply