Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recreating a Viking voyage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recreating a Viking voyage
    Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 11:01
I normally just lurk here because everyone is far more knowledgable then I am - but I haven't seen this posted so I thought I would:

Clip from the article:

Recreating a Viking voyage 
By Nathan Williams
BBC Timewatch 
Six months ago I set out on the most unusual and the wettest journey of my life.

I was on board a replica Viking longship, the world's largest and most authentic, which was attempting to sail from Denmark to Dublin.
The aim of the voyage was to test the ship and gain an insight into how the Vikings would have fared when making the same journey.
One of the first lessons was just how dependent we were on the weather.
With two days of strong winds in the right direction, we had managed to sail over 250 miles (400km) in one stretch.
But once we reached Norway, the situation changed. For 10 days we were stuck on land with the wind blowing in the wrong direction or not at all.
A Viking ship is very poor at tacking (sailing into the wind by zigzagging).

Using the oars is possible for short distances but getting all the way to Scotland would take hundreds of hours of continuous rowing.
So the only option was to wait for the wind to change.
At first it was a welcome relief after 48 hours in an open boat in the rain. But boredom soon turned out to be the biggest hazard.

Edited by Mythica - 06-Jan-2008 at 11:07
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 11:44
Welcome to AE, Mythica.

Yes, many members are really very knowledgeable, and that is part of the reason why I joined back then - to learn from others - and I still am. 

The Sea Stallion was mentioned earlier, but took only little interest - maybe because we are but a few real Vikings here... Viking- so it's good with your reminder.

~ Northman

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 14:47
hmm...sorry folks I'm not sure that this constitutes as Ancient history - more late Antiquity. As a result I shall move it to the medieval section.
 Post Reply Post Reply