Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afghanistan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote anum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afghanistan?
    Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 02:35
Is Afghanistan considered central asian? or south asian, middle east?
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 09:23
All of the above.  Geographically, it's really just adjacent to the Indian subcontinent, so south asian would probably be the most accurate.
Unify All Countries!
Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 13:09
I think there are quite a lot of "blood types" intermixed together to form
existing Afghanistan after thousands of years.  Hence, it depends how you define the Afghanistan at WHICH period of time...
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 15:14
If it has a monsoon, which is does, and summer in from April-June,which is does, and it is Indo-European, which it is, then it is definitly in South Asia.

Al-Jassas

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 19:28
Indo-European is no prerequesit for anyhting, Tajikistan is considdered Central Asia.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 20:08
yup central asian, even the pashtuns of pakistan are not south asian
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 20:37
But the two earlier Criteria do not apply to Tajikistan, so still, Afghanistan is South Asian

Al-Jassas
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 20:55
Originally posted by anum

Is Afghanistan considered central asian? or south asian, middle east?

Culturally, Pashtuns, Baluchis and Nuristanis are South Asians and the rest are Central Asians. Geographically, I consider it Central Asian.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 21:16
^ i think you have it the other way around. How are they south asians? what do they share with indian subconitent? There foods, clothes, looks, etc.. everything is central asian or persian.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 03:01

I never ceases to worry me that people constantly try to draw imaginary lines on maps and then force everything one way or the other.

Obviously Afghanistan has elements of all 3!

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 03:37

Generally speaking, I do agree with Omar al Hashim. But, conventially, Afghanistan is considered a part of Central Asia.

Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 06:20
i am afghan and i can say overall we are very mixed, however our language, food and culture is definatly more central asian.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 17:44
Well as said before if you look at Afghanistan on a world map you will find it more Central Asian than South Asian, and as said by dear Afghan1, the culture, food, language is more Central Asian than South.

I personaly prefer it as a middle eastern rather than those other two.

And to you my dear fellow Afghan,  I am soo pleased to see a fellow country man on board, so welcome to All Empires and wish you may share lots and lots of knowledge with us.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 18:07
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I never ceases to worry me that people constantly try to draw imaginary lines on maps and then force everything one way or the other.

Obviously Afghanistan has elements of all 3!

Agreed. 
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 01:18
Afghanistan has history from all 3 areas. many thousands years ago it was part of the hindu empire, then it became buddhist. then after that waves of central asian invasions, then persian and greek invasions and finally the arrival of islam. So it is indeed part of all 3 areas. It is basically the central connecting point of all 3 regions of south asia, central asia and middle east.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 02:38
Never was the whole Afghanistan "a part of Hindu Empire."  On the contrary, in the times of antiquity it was mainly inhabitted by Baktrians and Sogdians, who actually also were the essential element of the ethnic composition of the more northern Central Asian lands.

In fact most of the invasions were from Central Asia i.e. Afghanistan down to India and not vice versa.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply