Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Culture of the Caucasus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Culture of the Caucasus
    Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 20:52
I would like to learn more about the Culture of the Caucasus. Esspecialy the Dance, Music & clothing.

The Caucasus used to be a Melting pot of people. The Georgians in the south, the Circassians in the North, Chechens, Nogais, Kalmyks & ofcourse my own Meskhetian Turks(well used to be)

So my questions are.

1. How old is Lezginka = Dance of the caucasus

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=JC1TRMuerIk

example from the Turkish championship.

2. The music. Since it has allot of accordion in it and the according isn't 'that' old. how old is it. I mean the music for Lezginka.

3. The clothing look like exact copies of Turkmen clothing. But its kinda strange because the Turkic Tribes who settled were of kypchak stock and not oghuz.

couple performing Lezginka

I can't find a Turkmen costume though Unhappy

Any information would be great

thank you

Edited by xi_tujue - 26-Dec-2007 at 23:29
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 23:22
Well actually lezginka word comes from lezgi nation. Thats all i know... If there is a lezgi formmer here, maybe he/she could enlighten us :)
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 01:10
"Lezginka" is a kind of old dance. AFAIK every Caucasus nation has the similar kind of dance, including Armenians, Georgians, Chechens and even Cossacks.

To be honest, I'm very also intrigued by some similarities between the traditional Caucasus and Turkmen costume.

In fact, Turkmens DO live in Caucasus. Some Turkmens were forcibly moved to the Northern Caucasus by Kalmyks in the 18th century and they still live there.

I might assume that the shape of the hat as shown of the picture could be influenced by Turkmen hat. But it also very well could be indigenous to Caucasus.

It's believed that the national costume of Caucasus is influenced greatly by Iranian and Turkic closing, some elements of the closing clearly have Turkic roots. I know that some elements of closing are believed to originate from Khazars. It also has very specific types of closing, like for example Burka.  

Edited by Sarmat12 - 27-Dec-2007 at 01:12
Σαυρομάτης
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 11:34
I have never seen an Armenian lezginka :(

I never heared about the lezgni people so tha settles the origin of the dance.

Lezginka is a Folk Dance. All Eurasian Folk dances are pretty much the same. I mean joyfull music lots of jumping and clappingClap . Lezginka seems one of the hardest 2 learn . That russian dance & song that is verry famous I forgot what its called. It's a cossack dance right?

The traditional clothing of the caucasus isn't allways teh Brik(furry hat) sometimes its a normal hat.

I never knew that the khazars brought the Burka 2 the Caucasus
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 15:21
I didn't say that Khazars brought burka. I just said that they influenced some closing. The dances of Caucasus are still kind of specific.

The Russian/Cossack dance you mentioned is also simply called Lezginka.
Σαυρομάτης
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 20:30
Armenians and Georgians do not have Lezginka. Goergians have very similar music close to Lezginka. Lezgis are the Caucasus nation (neither Turkish nor Iranic), living in those lands even from Albania, having most of its population situated in Northern Azerbaijan and in Southern Dagestan, south to Avars. They are somehow similar to Avars. Lezgis are white. They are more emotional than the rest of minorities in Aerbaijan. They easily begin fight and usually one of the sides get killed :D

They dance Lezginka best, but we Azeris used to dance it in every ceremony and national parties as well. It is interesting. I like dancing it.

Armenian, Georgian and Azeri dances (since those are the ones that i know best what they look like) may seem quite same, as their dance music, but on can easily seperate them if they live in the region for more than 2 years. IN Azerbaijna we 've got many Turkish and Islamic aspects in our dance music, but in georgia, it is way different. About Armenian, I do not have a special knowledge.

any further information that u need, please do not hesitate asking
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 23:01
Yeaa thanks for info Kerimoglu :)
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 00:00
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Armenians and Georgians do not have Lezginka. Goergians have very similar music close to Lezginka. Lezgis are the Caucasus nation (neither Turkish nor Iranic), living in those lands even from Albania, having most of its population situated in Northern Azerbaijan and in Southern Dagestan, south to Avars. They are somehow similar to Avars. Lezgis are white. They are more emotional than the rest of minorities in Aerbaijan. They easily begin fight and usually one of the sides get killed :D

They dance Lezginka best, but we Azeris used to dance it in every ceremony and national parties as well. It is interesting. I like dancing it.

Armenian, Georgian and Azeri dances (since those are the ones that i know best what they look like) may seem quite same, as their dance music, but on can easily seperate them if they live in the region for more than 2 years. IN Azerbaijna we 've got many Turkish and Islamic aspects in our dance music, but in georgia, it is way different. About Armenian, I do not have a special knowledge.

any further information that u need, please do not hesitate asking

Of course the dances in Georgia and Armenia are not exactly the same with the Lezginka of Lezgis. But it's still very similar. Yes, the lezginka which Chechen or Avars dance must me more close to the original Lezgian dance. But I think Lezginka has already become a generic name for this specific Caucasian type of dance. And there is Georgian and Armenian Lezginkas you may type it in Google and you will find a lot entries.

The form of the word itself Lezginka is Russian meaning "of Lezgis." It bacame famous in the world after Russian cossacks dance bands performed Lezginka in Europe in the 1920th.

Σαυρομάτης
kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 01:15
The Caucasus is one of the most diverse regions in the world, religiously and ethnically.

Lezgin people as mentioned are a purely Caucasian people, not Turkic. But their dance has pretty much become standard in every Caucasus ethnic group, except perhaps the Armenians. As far as I know Armenians have their own dances and don't do Lezginka dances, because they're very much used to their middle-eastern or Cilician style customs. I've never seen them doing Lezginka personally. I might be wrong, if there's an Armenian here it would be nice if they could clarify this.

There are many Caucasian-Turk groups (Karapapak, Terekeme, Karachay, Kumyk, Turkmen, Azeri, Nogai, and some others) and one Caucasian-Iranic group (the Ossetians). There are also Caucasian-Russians like Cossacks.

The hat is supposedly originally Bashkir (Turkic ), and since it was worn by Bashkir units, it became popular throughout Russia during the Napoleonic Wars.

Edited by kafkas - 01-Mar-2008 at 07:11
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 13:35
There are also Hellens/Greeks in the Caucasus, especially Pontic Greeks. I am not aware of their numbers, but they must be very few, mainly in Georgia and Abkhazia.

Year Total Georgians Abkhaz Russians Armenians Greeks
1926 Census 186,004 67,494 55,918 12,553 25,677 14,045
1939 Census 311,885 91,967 56,197 60,201 49,705 34,621
1959 Census 404,738 158,221 61,193 86,715 64,425 9,101
1970 Census 486,959 199,596 77,276 92,889 74,850 13,114
1979 Census 486,082 213,322 83,087 79,730 73,350 13,642
1989 Census 525,061 239,872 93,267 74,913 76,541 14,664
2003 Census1 215,972 45,953 94,606 23,420 44,870 1,486

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazia

Edited by Spartakus - 03-Mar-2008 at 13:41
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
mokheve View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mokheve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2010 at 11:35
hello i'm georgian ( sorry for my bad englishUnhappy)
dance lezginka came form lezgins. this dance is just dance as any other caucasian dance, but russian named all caucasians dances lezginka and that's why lezgins thinks that  all caucasian dances creadet by them. armenian dances are very different from caucasian, because armenians are not caucasians they are indo-europians. georgian dance and vainakh dances  are very similar.
this is georgian  dance mkhedruli (mkhedari is georgian word and means warrior), but  this dance knows as georgian lezginka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lnv4TCv71A

Edited by mokheve - 07-Oct-2010 at 11:37
Shabanova View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Shabanova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 08:35
I always wonder why all people think that lezginka belongs only to chechens or azerbajdjans? I am from south Russia, Kuban and I can say that almost the whole Russia has this dance, and clothes are not that diffrent aswell. (I dont talk about north Russia as Moscow, their culture is a little bit diffrent than caucasian one).
Lezginka comes from lezgi nation, most of them live today in Dagestan, Russia. And every nation has their own clothes, like our in south Russia look a bit like chechen style.
But however, lezginka is a simple dance in whole Russia, but as I said it is most popular in south.

Music is also a little bit diffrent, so when I lissten to lezginka I can hear if it is chechen one or dagestani or russian a.s.o.  In dagestan it is not that much melody in it, it has more drums, while chechen and russian has more melody, but also a lot of drums. It is also the rythm of the song that can make u feel what part of Russia lezginka comes from. Chechen one has its own rythm, that is alway all the song out is the same, while russian is changing more often.

And ofcourse the moves in the dance can be diffrent, chechen ones, russian ones, dagestani ones. Chechens(when I talk for the women dance) use to "walk" holding their hands down and wifting with them as they walk. Dagestani can be diffrent, becouse there is 66 nation living in Dagestan and there is a lot of diffrent kind of moves but one of them is when girls walk, while holding one hand over their head and one on the belly. And last russian lezginka that comes from cossacks may also be diffrent, it is when a girl is wifting with both hands like a bird while walking, or when she is "running" from the guy holding both hands on the right or left side of the belly. Also usual that girls cover their face with one hand while dancing, that means that she is shyEmbarrassed.

And the guys in my oppinion in all nations have the same moves.Big smile They have to look strong and tuff and always clap their hands and cream ACCAAA or OPAAA!Clap

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 08:43
Originally posted by kafkas

The Caucasus is one of the most diverse regions in the world, religiously and ethnically.Lezgin people as mentioned are a purely Caucasian people, not Turkic. But their dance has pretty much become standard in every Caucasus ethnic group, except perhaps the Armenians. As far as I know Armenians have their own dances and don't do Lezginka dances, because they're very much used to their middle-eastern or Cilician style customs. I've never seen them doing Lezginka personally. I might be wrong, if there's an Armenian here it would be nice if they could clarify this.There are many Caucasian-Turk groups (Karapapak, Terekeme, Karachay, Kumyk, Turkmen, Azeri, Nogai, and some others) and one Caucasian-Iranic group (the Ossetians). There are also Caucasian-Russians like Cossacks.The hat is supposedly originally Bashkir (Turkic ), and since it was worn by Bashkir units, it became popular throughout Russia during the Napoleonic Wars.

Everyone living in the Caucasus is a Caucasian. You can have Caucasian Slavs, Caucasian Turks and Caucasian Tartars
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 17:03
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by kafkas

The Caucasus is one of the most diverse regions in the world, religiously and ethnically.Lezgin people as mentioned are a purely Caucasian people, not Turkic. But their dance has pretty much become standard in every Caucasus ethnic group, except perhaps the Armenians. As far as I know Armenians have their own dances and don't do Lezginka dances, because they're very much used to their middle-eastern or Cilician style customs. I've never seen them doing Lezginka personally. I might be wrong, if there's an Armenian here it would be nice if they could clarify this.There are many Caucasian-Turk groups (Karapapak, Terekeme, Karachay, Kumyk, Turkmen, Azeri, Nogai, and some others) and one Caucasian-Iranic group (the Ossetians). There are also Caucasian-Russians like Cossacks.The hat is supposedly originally Bashkir (Turkic ), and since it was worn by Bashkir units, it became popular throughout Russia during the Napoleonic Wars.

Everyone living in the Caucasus is a Caucasian. You can have Caucasian Slavs, Caucasian Turks and Caucasian Tartars

(Bold is mine above)

I agree with you, but nowadays all the Caucasians are not from Caucasian. There is still a saying: All the barbers are prostitutes, but all the prostitutes are not barbers.

Especially the US police uses this term “Caucasian” as Wiki tells:

The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia and South Asia. Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone. In common use, specifically in American English, the term is sometimes restricted to Europeans and other lighter-skinned populations within these areas, and may be considered equivalent to the varying definitions of white people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

I saw one mysterious list of the “Caucasians”; all the Europeans are Caucasians except the Finns. Anyway the Finns have a lot of loan words from Caucasus with more migration from Caucasus to Fennoscandia – really Fennoscandia with Kola is the only correct term.

We can continue by Y-DNA. In Dagestan haplogroup I is most common (58%) among Dargin.

The maps of 650 AD shows that the Huns were in Dagestan. Can we say that Attila & the Huns are Caucasians?

The most common Y DNA Haplotypes of Inca are from Caucasus (Dagestan especially, Ossetians, Lezgin, Rutuls, Chechenians, Armenians, Ingush, Abazins, etc. Can we say that by Peruvian Y-DNA Caucasus people were Inca?

MediaWarLord View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 17:40
In Dagestan live many ethnic groups. One of them are Dargin people. They are native to Caucasus and are not Turkic.
Other main groups in Dagestan are Avars and Kumyks. These people have Turkic roots, althought Caucasian Avars are mixed with Hurrians and Aryans (Iranic people). These Caucasian Avars were called 'white' Huns.

The most common haplogroup among Armenians is R1b and J2. Armenians don't have so much hg I, maybe 3-4%. Armenians are not Iranians (aka Aryans), but native Caucasian people.

Haplogroup I, together with J2 and G2, is very common haplogroup among Iranian (aka Aryan) people in Caucasus, like Ossetians. Ossetians are not Turkic.
Haplogroup I2a is also very common among Kurds (about >20% of all Kurd) in Kurdistan and Persians in some regions in Iran.

Edited by MediaWarLord - 17-Jun-2011 at 17:45
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2011 at 19:47

The Cossacks had the coolest traditional-costume: a long coat known as a chokha with integrated cartridge pouches and lots of silver braid. This costume was widespread in that part of Russia, being worn by Georgians, Chechens and Azeris since 900AD
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply