Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mitchell Report: Impact on MLB?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitchell Report: Impact on MLB?
    Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 18:19
What does the release of the Mitchell Report mean for Major League Baseball as we know it? 

For years now everyone has already suspected many of the players who will appear on the list for being steroid-abusers.  Will the report bring about any changes?  Will the doping stop or be limited?  Is America's Past Time all about the money these days and players will find a way to get around the restrictions?

The list so far:

Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Miguel Tejada
Gary Sheffield
Paul Lo Duca
Mark McGwire
Eric Gagne
Mo Vaughn
Kevin Brown

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 13-Dec-2007 at 19:48
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 19:32
I am watching it right now!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 21:25
Some of the players who were mentioned were really surprising. Names like Ron Vallone, Larry Bigbie, Brian Roberts, Paul Lo Duca. To be honest I wasn't surprised by the implications of Mo Vaughn, Shef, Bonds.   Thinking back on the end of Kevin Brown's career I'm not terribly surprised. What do you guys think?

For those wishing to actually read the full report click here (document in pdf form provided by espn).

Edited by King John - 13-Dec-2007 at 21:31
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 02:56
I'm not sure what to think at the moment, I can tell you hearing Knoblauch's (I forgot how to spell his nameLOL) name was suprising.  Until I realized the source was a guy from NY.  Looking at how his career went after Minnesota it isn't suprising.  I think this is a big deal, but we'll have to wait and see as to what the effects of it, if any, will be.

If Mitchell had been given subpeona power, then I think we really would have gotten more detailed, accurate information.  Until the players start talking or are forced to talk this will only be the tip of the iceberg.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 19:13
The more I think about some of the implications in this report I have a hard time believing some of them. For instance I have a hard time believing the allegations leveled against Andy Pettitte. On page 174 the report says "McNamee never explicitly told Radomski that either Clemens or Pettitte was using steroids or human growth hormone." Also if you look at the stats for the year that he is said to have used these performance enhancing drugs they are not that different than other years in his career.

Edited by King John - 14-Dec-2007 at 19:16
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 21:02
What does everybody think about Clemens's chances at the HoF with all this new Steroid info coming out?

Personally I think he's a Hall of Famer. I don't think moral decisions should matter for hall of fame voters. There are other people with questionable morals and who are connected to illegal drugs in the Hall of Fame why not Clemens.

Edited by King John - 14-Dec-2007 at 21:24
 Post Reply Post Reply