Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Danes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Danes
    Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 15:19
It has always been my belief that the Scandinavian countries are probably the most progressive and enlightened nations in the universe, and not only they impose heavy tax duties on alcohol or because of their long and proud history of film making (especially the Swedes and Danes)
Here is another fine example of Scandinavian wisdom, careful to be studied by all that nations that fight over any old rock in the sea one of their ancestors might have accidentially bumped into centuries ago:
Now the Schleswig-Holstein question, the 19th century's great diplomatic conundrum and torment of generations of history students, is once again begging an answer. The reason lies in the murky margins of crucial elections in a state which, in its modern incarnation, has formed a part of federal Germany since 1945."After 1945 the British authorities asked the Danes if they wanted Schleswig back, or at least a part of it," Mr Bethge said. "The Danes said 'No thank you'."
And disappointingly for history students, perhaps, present-day Denmark also seems uninterested in reopening the Schleswig-Holstein question.After careful thought, a government spokeswoman said yesterday that Denmark no longer claimed south Schleswig. "We don't want it any more - I think." From the Guardian 19/02/05

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 15:55

i wonder why they would not want Schleswig-Holstein back?

Kiel is a nice city.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 17:25
To be fair, the "no thanks" has probably something to do with practical reality beside morale maturity as a state - the inhabitants of Slesvig-Holstein wouldn't really appreciate Danish superiority.

Funny you should mention rocks - the Danes are currently involved in a little claim dispute with the Canadians over (possibly oilbearing) rocks in the Arctic.

The claim war is quite gentlemanry though, as opposed to most other similar things:
Since then the two sides have expressed their claim by hoisting flags, with Danes leaving bottles of schnapps behind for the next troupe of flag-bearing Canadians, who leave bottles of whiskey in return.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 18:58

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

The claim war is quite gentlemanry though, as opposed to most other similar things:
Since then the two sides have expressed their claim by hoisting flags, with Danes leaving bottles of schnapps behind for the next troupe of flag-bearing Canadians, who leave bottles of whiskey in return.

HE HE now thats the way to fight a war. Although I pitty the Danes - do you know how bad a hangover you will get from to much Rye?

Post Reply Post Reply