Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tones in Korean language

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tones in Korean language
    Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 03:23
I read that ancient Korean had 3 tones. Is that true and when they disappeared from the language?
Σαυρομάτης
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 20:51
I'm not sure but I think you're talking about old Hangul which had 3 tonal markers to help the reader pronounce words borrowed from Chinese.

Otherwise, though standard Seoul Korean is totally atonal, certain other dialects still have the features of a pitch-accent language, like Japanese where tones matter but the wrong tone won't give a word an explicitly different meaning.  Lots of languages have seemingly spontaneously gained and lost tonality.  Vietnamese is classified with Mon-Khmer but it somehow developed 6 tones while its relatives have none.  Conversely,  Vedic Sanskrit was a pitch accent language but all its descendants have lost that feature. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 21:03

I think I mean tones not pitch accent. So,  old Hangul had special signes for tones of the words of Chinese origins?

Well, actually more than 70% percent of Korean words were of Chinese origins at that time.

Does it mean that the use of tones was common in Korean?

Σαυρομάτης
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 00:59
It appears I was wrong.  Middle Korean did have three tones (low, high and rising) and old Hangul used small diacritical marks to distinguish between them (no dots, 1 dot, 2 dots).  Roughly speaking, modern dialects in the eastern half of the peninsula retain some tonality whereas dialects in the western half have lost them.  The loss of tonality seems to have occured in the 16th century, a hundred or so years after the invention of Hangul.  Maybe the two events are related?
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
 Post Reply Post Reply