Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christians must be nonviolent --how?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christians must be nonviolent --how?
    Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 21:19
There is one point that I disagree on what is an accurate description of the sources of Christianity, Checco.

Dualism is, in a strict manner of speaking, heresy. Believing in the devil as a real spiritual being that can challenge god goes against the monotheism that Christianity is founded on.

Augustine, who had been a dualist through Manicheanism, spend a lot of time fighting what was considered a heresy at the time.

Ironically, popular Christianity and Roman Catholicism does indulge in dualism, thinking that the devil exists and dukes it out with God. Some people will get angry if one correctly denies the existence of the devil.

But again, this is popular Christianity, not the pure stuff.

Extra fun stuff:

Akolouthos has a very good counter-argument to you, Checco. I don't know how much he agrees with you on the historical and pagan sources of Christianity; I do agree on most of them them.

However, the most important part of his counter-argument is asking you to re-assess the religion within its own system. I will add to this that you should examine it from an objective point of view as well.

Look for the core moral teachings. View many of the narratives as stories with symbolic and deep meanings.

I told this to Janus and I will repeat myself here: Roman Catholicism allows a huge variety of religious practices and beliefs. Each one has something to offer to different people. Look at it in a positive way,and you will find positive attributes. After all, isn't that the basis of what tolerance is all about?

Edited by hugoestr - 09-Nov-2007 at 21:51
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by arch.buff

The Just War Doctrine was originally pened during the time that Christianity was newly legalized and was receiving converts openly so naturally such a doctrine should be set in place.

Absolutely not. Christianity had been legalized for nearly 800 years when Thomas Aquinas created a systematic theory of "just war" for a Christian context, in the 13th century.

It was penned as a counter to the overwhelmingly pacifist Pax Dei movement of the 10th-13th century, and represented a sea change in the church towards a far more militant and politically ambitious institution. Which, incidentally, was alot closer to its roots as a somewhat malevolent, anti-semitic Roman institution characterized by gang wars between rival claimants to the papacy. Pax Dei was far less profane, but on the other hand, far less useful to the ambitious.

Thomas Aquinas may have refined this idea, but Augustine worked on it as well many centuries before.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by Brian J Checco

And, by the way, this is the second time you've called my academic credentials into question. The first time, you saw I knew what was up and promptly apologized. It's pleasant to think that a second will be forthcoming. Really, it's really rather insulting. I think that I've proven my street-cred on these forums in almost a year of posting, and consider my opinions and research to be held in fairly high regard here amongst our "academic" community. However, being a student of English at this point in my college career, I usually prefer to respond to posts that I find to be full of manure in a sarcastic and satirical manner. Satire is a subtle and nuanced art. I'm wondering now if indeed you have been grasping the underlying knowledge implied within said posts.
A postcard from "academia,"
BC

LOL

Thanks for the postcard, oh great academic; I'll get to reading it after I have sifted through the vast amount of documentation you provided in your last post (hey, at least you mentioned an author this time, even if he is a bit of a nutter; you will be aware, I assume, of his reputation). LOL

One initial note: Do not confuse an acknowledgement that you can display scholarly acumen, with an apology for taking offense that you have consistently failed to do so. I don't know that you demonstrated that you "knew what was up." As I recall, I simply noted that you demonstrated "a good deal of knowledge about the basic doctrinal points of Catholicism" ; unfortunately, you have failed to exhibit even this basic knowledge in most of your contemptuous -- and contemptible -- posts.

As I noted, I am not calling your academic credentials into question (although I am questioning your familiarity with Christian documentary evidence); I am simply stating that it would be better for you to exhibit them. You should attempt to display the scholarly ability that has led to the "street-cred" that you feel you enjoy in threads dealing with matters theological. As you have repeatedly shown, a familiarity with the most superficial aspects of a topic does not necessarily lead an individual to a scholarly analysis.

Oh, and for the final time -- and please read this carefully -- I do not feel obligated to explain the excesses of the Western Church post schism; if you wish to discuss the excesses of the Eastern Church, of which there are many, we may do so as soon as you begin to comport yourself as a scholar in topics relating to the Christian Church.

How's that study of the Christian concept of Logos coming?

Cheers,
Akolouthos

Ah, so the great critic of satire and sarcasm has come around to embrace the one true faith; a conversion of mythic proportions! One could almost say a Gnostic has been turned into a Christian.

Logos, how could one summarize it? I don't have the texts in front of me, and I'm sure you'll be forgiving in this matter, but as best I've understood it, it has to do with reason, being the Greek root for the contemporary English 'logic.' Aristotle had 'logic' and 'reason' as what separates man from beast; Aquinas (an interesting 12th/21st century dichotomy) has it as what enables man to understand God's intentions (the difference between  Natural/Divine order and conventional/man-made law in Summa Theologica).  Then there's the 'Word' debate; what was God? The Word? Or did he have the Word? Or was the Word spoken in vacuum, and no one was there to hear it but man; and he interpreted it as best his limited faculty could fathom?
A central problem in this debate, a logical inconsistency, is that if God speaks to Man, and Man is left to interpret it, how could man perfectly interpret and understand God's Word? And the next logical questions being, "How could an institution, comprised of an aggregate of imperfect individual humans, claim to have accurately interpreted the word, and present it in a fool-proof way to another aggregate of imperfect individuals?"

I'll be a bit postmodernist in this, and address the individual points in an ad-hoc manner, but I never claimed to be a great scholar. The "academia" in 'a Postcard' was in quotation marks; commonly used to emphasize the lack of seriousness, one might imply 'the sarcasm,' behind a particular remark. The line prior to a 'a Postcard' may be more relevant now than I had I had meant it prior. That said, a mere grad student has never been qualified as a great academic before either, to hear tenured professors tell it.
And sure, Laurence Gardner is suspect (as are all other historians who have been knighted, of course, and by a Protestant monarchy, no less); especially when his research is utterly at odds with a position that not only have you set academic stock by, but have also pledged your eternal soul to (Akolouthos; Greek for "Acolytye?" As in a religious standpoint? An entrenched position, one could surmise?). Obviously, authors with views that you view as, dare we say, "heretical," will be considered a 'nutter' by you and scholars you adhere to. Nothing to be done there, old chap. Loggerheads, as they say.

In terms of apologetic positions; you have stood by two, and seem to renounce them both. I am fairly certain that you can't take seriously that "Scholarly Journal" position- I mean, honestly? I'm sure you'll fastidiously select the sections of this reply that you will respond to, but, gosh, I want to hear some feasible justification for that one. As I earlier contended, most scholarly journals do not embark upon policies of extermination and Inquisition. Very few execute even one person, let alone thousands.

Contemptuous? I'm okay with that. Contemptible? Strong language, my dearest friend. I appreciate the fact that it was straight forward, so that I might better discern your mind on the matter; but if my satirical and sarcastic position was so contemptible, you'd ought to do some penance for committing the same sins. I feel that some part of the contempt you attribute to my post has come through in your reply. Alas, the other cheek seem not to have been turn'eth there.

And, lastly, if we'd better not describe the excesses of the post-schism Church, there are plenty of excesses pre-schism. I freely admit the brilliant conversion schemes perpetuated by Padraig and Augustine (of British fame; not of Hippo); but one could cite the conduct of the Teutonic Order against the Lithuanians and Old Prussians as a prime example of a Catholic "missionary" institution that somehow seemed to be unable to practice a credo of non-violence; one might almost say a "non-Chistian" outlook (how does one come by a defensible position for Christian militant orders, by the way?). As I had hinted at earlier, though not stated explicitly, look at the Christian persecution of their own "brethren" sects in the early post-Sack-of-Jerusalem period (the first Christian diaspora); I take the position that once the Church began to solidify it's position that it cast numerous other factions into the realms of heresies. The Arian "heresy" easily comes to mind. The excommunication of the Judean-Gnostic sects could serve to reinforce my points.  And, as others have agreed with, to turn a blind-eye on the Eastern mystery cults that Christianity so obviously evolved from or adapted, is to refute certain "objective" histories.
As per earlier, I apologize for my lack of direct citation; one acquires information from so many sources, and lives so disconnected a lifestyle, that one does not always possess those texts. I am envious of the likes of you, who always possess their full libraries at any given moment. Maybe one day mine will expand and find itself concentrated enough to be considered "scholarly."
Sincerely,
Brian J Checco

Edit- I just remembered that the Teutonic Crusades were post-Schism (though we seem to have been using post-Reformation and post-Schism interchangeably in this post [the quote I believe Ak referred to was post-Reformation]); but, having cited pre-Schism incidents as well, I don't see it as being particularly detrimental to the post as a whole. C'est la vie.

Edited by Brian J Checco - 10-Nov-2007 at 10:20
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 09:51
Originally posted by hugoestr

There is one point that I disagree on what is an accurate description of the sources of Christianity, Checco.

Dualism is, in a strict manner of speaking, heresy. Believing in the devil as a real spiritual being that can challenge god goes against the monotheism that Christianity is founded on.

Augustine, who had been a dualist through Manicheanism, spend a lot of time fighting what was considered a heresy at the time.

Ironically, popular Christianity and Roman Catholicism does indulge in dualism, thinking that the devil exists and dukes it out with God. Some people will get angry if one correctly denies the existence of the devil.

But again, this is popular Christianity, not the pure stuff.

Extra fun stuff:

Akolouthos has a very good counter-argument to you, Checco. I don't know how much he agrees with you on the historical and pagan sources of Christianity; I do agree on most of them them.

However, the most important part of his counter-argument is asking you to re-assess the religion within its own system. I will add to this that you should examine it from an objective point of view as well.

Look for the core moral teachings. View many of the narratives as stories with symbolic and deep meanings.

I told this to Janus and I will repeat myself here: Roman Catholicism allows a huge variety of religious practices and beliefs. Each one has something to offer to different people. Look at it in a positive way,and you will find positive attributes. After all, isn't that the basis of what tolerance is all about?

Christianity is doctrinally dualistic; the Manicheanistic heresy is mostly due to the fact that the Persians thought of it first.

The Judean conception of the afterlife was that of sheol. Which is to say Hades. The afterlife of the pre-dualistic Ancients was that of haziness, of the forgettign once one passed the Lethe waters. In the Judean perception of the world, all waters flowed off the edges of a flat world; and those waters also signified forgetfulness, much as the Lethe waters did (that the Phoenecian conception and the Greek were highly interconnected is not purely coincidental; Phoenecians being Phillistines, from a historical perspective). Thus, in a pre-Christian Judea, the conception of afterlife was that everyone went the same place, regardless of earthly doings. In the Christian conception, we view a heaven-hell dichotomy oddly reminiscent of Zoroastrianism... coincidence? Perhaps. When viewed with Mithraism in context? And the extent of Rome's wars? Doubtful that coincidentiality becomes.
Another question is, how do we then interpret the presence of Satan in the wilderness? The Satan of the Book of Job as God's attorney (the Devil as Advocate, we could say) is obviously not the same Satan we see in the Temptation; this Satan is more reminiscent of Angra Mainyu, "the malevolent" in the Zoroastrian position. Also telling is the etymology of the name Lucifer in pre-Christian and Christian interpretations- taken literally it means "the morning star;" in ancient terminology, a symbol that represents the dawn of new days, hope, and prosperity (also, the end of night); in A Christian context the idea is interloped with dissonance and chaos- the antithesis of the light that is God. As we can tell form the historical perspective, Christianity was the great adaptive force of the ancient world; to rope a pagan deity into a Manicheanistic worldview is not only not uncharacteristic, but is understandable, and some would say, to be expected.  But the dualism of Christianity stands as nearly undeniable; at least if the Gospels are to be taken as a primary source of Church doctrine...
BC

Edited by Brian J Checco - 10-Nov-2007 at 10:24
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 15:18
Checco,

I never criticized satire and sarcasm -- indeed, if you go back and read my posts, you will notice that I noted that I quite enjoy both of them. What I criticized was bad satire and sarcasm.

As for citing Gardner as a scholar, much of the criticism directed at him, as you well know, is not merely based on disagreement. Much of the criticism  is actually directed at his methodology, as well as his ability to "do" history, period. The difference between Gardner and the scholars I "set academic stock by," is the difference between Dan Brown and Brian Tierney (ok, so that is a bit unfair, but he is closer to a conspiracy theorist than a historian). To compare two unequal sources and then to simply declare that they are at "loggerheads" and that there is "nothing to be done," is to abrogate our responsibilities as scholars.

And as for the Chrisian understanding of the role of the Logos in the pre-Incarnation world, read Justin Martyr. Or perhaps you could read about Justin Martyr. The bottom line is, you need to read something. Otherwise, you will continue to fail to understand the Christian view of the pre-Christian world. I am extremely pleased to note that in your research into pagan/Christian parallels you have run across two wonderful Western examples; you will find that these, in turn, have their Eastern parallels. Once again, I was more referring to the conscious boasting in the liturgical cycle regarding the replacement of pagan ceremonies by Christian ceremonies, but you have provided two proper examples from a Western tradition with which you are obviously, and understandably, more familiar. Still, without an understanding the concept of the spermatic Logos, it is difficult to understand the significance of this from a Christian perspective.

As for your comment regarding citation, sarcasm -- both yours and mine -- aside, I realize that not everyone is going to be able to have every single text from a period. Still, since so many of the primary texts exist in translation, and even online, it is inexcusable to criticize without at least looking at them.

Once again, I feel under no obligation to defend the militant orders. See above. As for heresies in general, certainly a system based on absolute truth may not be subject to doctrinal multiplicity in the extreme; the line must be drawn somewhere. With regard to Arianism, it's failure was due to a combination of factors, both theological and historical. First, Arian theology did not allow for an authentic communion between Man and God. Second, it essentially led to a quasi-polytheism that could not be reconciled with the strong monotheism inherent in Christianity. Third, the Arians themselves were never a cohesive faction. They were not founded on a desire to outline a positivist theology; rather, they were reacting negatively to the homoousios of Nicaea.

And no, we are not using the terms Reformation and Schism interchangeably in this thread. I don't know where you ever got that idea.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 10-Nov-2007 at 15:25
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 18:56

If by "in its roots" you are refering to Christ and his Apostles than I would say that you would be very hard-pressed to prove the eloquent statements quoted above.

I don't regard mythical figures in a historical context, regardless of what pseudepigrapha is employed.

By "in its roots" I would mean the Church Fathers who coined the religion.

Edited by edgewaters - 10-Nov-2007 at 18:58
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 19:03
Originally posted by edgewaters

If by "in its roots" you are refering to Christ and his Apostles than I would say that you would be very hard-pressed to prove the eloquent statements quoted above.

I don't regard mythical figures in a historical context, regardless of what pseudepigrapha is employed.

By "in its roots" I would mean the Church Fathers who coined the religion.

Expand and defend.

-Akolouthos
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 05:24

Christianity is doctrinally dualistic; the Manicheanistic heresy is mostly due to the fact that the Persians thought of it first.The Judean conception of the afterlife was that of sheol. Which is to say Hades. The afterlife of the pre-dualistic Ancients was that of haziness, of the forgettign once one passed the Lethe waters. In the Judean perception of the world, all waters flowed off the edges of a flat world; and those waters also signified forgetfulness, much as the Lethe waters did (that the Phoenecian conception and the Greek were highly interconnected is not purely coincidental; Phoenecians being Phillistines, from a historical perspective). Thus, in a pre-Christian Judea, the conception of afterlife was that everyone went the same place, regardless of earthly doings. In the Christian conception, we view a heaven-hell dichotomy oddly reminiscent of Zoroastrianism... coincidence? Perhaps. When viewed with Mithraism in context? And the extent of Rome's wars? Doubtful that coincidentiality becomes. Another question is, how do we then interpret the presence of Satan in the wilderness? The Satan of the Book of Job as God's attorney (the Devil as Advocate, we could say) is obviously not the same Satan we see in the Temptation; this Satan is more reminiscent of Angra Mainyu, "the malevolent" in the Zoroastrian position. Also telling is the etymology of the name Lucifer in pre-Christian and Christian interpretations- taken literally it means "the morning star;" in ancient terminology, a symbol that represents the dawn of new days, hope, and prosperity (also, the end of night); in A Christian context the idea is interloped with dissonance and chaos- the antithesis of the light that is God. As we can tell form the historical perspective, Christianity was the great adaptive force of the ancient world; to rope a pagan deity into a Manicheanistic worldview is not only not uncharacteristic, but is understandable, and some would say, to be expected. But the dualism of Christianity stands as nearly undeniable; at least if the Gospels are to be taken as a primary source of Church doctrine...BC[/QUOTE]

Hi, Checco,

I cannot deny that that popular Christianity has a strong dualist component. And it is futile to try to counter that dualism has been been historically linked with popular and real Christianity for most of its history. But this dualistic component has been a component mainly of the popular religion, which is deeply syncretic. It is to be expected that religions will retain or adopt these beliefs and just give them a Christian dressing.

However, if you look at Christianity with more logical rigor, you will find out that this duality is just not part of the religion simply because it runs counter to the basic premise that there is only one abstract God that humans cannot describe or depict.

So we both can start an exploration of the topic by admitting the historic realities of Christianity. This can help us to sift out objects that were introduced later to the religion.

Now try to grasp what real Christianity is about by reading the texts and following some basic rules such as there can be only one God.

The point of this is not to convert you to Christianity; that is something for you to deal alone.

The point here is explore what are the basic truths about the religion that you grew up that would be correct no matter what you believe in.

So, regardless if one believes if Jesus is part of God or Jesus is God or Jesus is both human and divine, what is there that Jesus teaches that is true?

What we believe in what Jesus said 2000 years ago that would still apply today? How can the teachings of Jesus inspire people today? What is it in them that can do that?

I don't care too much for the Christianity of dualities, but I do about the Christianity that inspired people stripped from their rights to stand up and demand human dignity without fighting back when physically attacked.

Martin Luther King Jr. made an amazing speech where he said how he didn't want to talk with racists who he knew believed that he was inferior than him. But that God had ordered him to love him enemy, and because of this he had to love his enemy and make him see the error that he was in.

Think about, legal segregation was brought down in part because another person believe that when Jesus said, "Resist not evil" and said, "love your enemies" he actually meant it.

That to be seem very powerful and worthy of looking again into it.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 05:51
I'm rather curious as to why Christianity is apparently not defined as by what people actually practice, what is actually preached, and what the actual reactions to these teachings are; so apparently, we are then getting down to actual doctrinal dictates of the early Christian church, the philosophical ideas behind the dogma which was solidified at Nicea? If this is the case, I'm more than happy to be participate. I am beginning to see that part of the misunderstandings in this thread have come from the fact that I have been arguing practiced Christianity, as opposed to the doctrinal underlying subcontexts.
Is my interpretation correct in this light?
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 00:09

I'm rather curious as to why Christianity is apparently not defined as by what people actually practice, what is actually preached, and what the actual reactions to these teachings are; so apparently, we are then getting down to actual doctrinal dictates of the early Christian church, the philosophical ideas behind the dogma which was solidified at Nicea? If this is the case, I'm more than happy to be participate. I am beginning to see that part of the misunderstandings in this thread have come from the fact that I have been arguing practiced Christianity, as opposed to the doctrinal underlying subcontexts.
Is my interpretation correct in this light?

I think it might be. I generally only care to defend the doctrine that is supposed to be the foundation of Christian practice, as well as the institution in which this doctrine is understood. It would seem that you -- and correct me if I am reading you wrong here -- would rather focus on the practice as evidence of the falsehood of the doctrine or the fallibility of the institution. I think we can agree that examing Christianity in terms of both practice and doctrine is useful; I think we may disagree as to the best way in which we may do this.

Thus, we might say that while I see your criticism and say, "Well you cannot possibly expect to judge Christian doctrine fairly by looking to its most fallible adherents, or an institution by its most imperfect episodes," you respond with, "Well you cannot possibly try to judge Christian doctrine fairly by ignoring the way it has been put into practice, or the institution by those things which it has been used to justify." 

I think that both of these perspectives have their merits in the treating Christianity in an academic context. I, operating from within Christendom, generally think that the best means of resolving doctrinal inconsistencies is to defend the underlying doctrine and criticize those who imperfectly practice it. You, operating from outside of a Christian context, seem to think that the best means of dealing with the consequences of these inconsistencies is to criticize what you perceive to be the weakness of the doctrine that underlies them. Perhaps the reason for this disconnect is that I, wishing to see Christian praxis match with Christian doctrine -- a doctrine that I hold to be revealed truth -- feel an obligation to try to do as much as I can to bring this about. You, having little interest in seeing the doctrine upheld or perfected, do not feel under any great obligation to try to perfect it at all, but instead think that arguing against it is the best means of arriving at an acceptable social model. To sum it up:

I am seeking to defend the doctrine and the institution by criticizing the actions of certain individuals as being inconsistent with Christian doctrine. You are seeking to criticize the doctrine and the institution by "defending" the actions of these individuals as being consistent with Christian praxis.

I think this might be the explanation for our failure to communicate (well, that and the fact that both you and I like trading ironic barbs Wink). Let me know if you think I'm on to something here. I guess my biggest real problem would be the "hoax" and "it is funny" stuff.

I will note that I do not hesitate to criticize those who I feel betray Christian truth; you will find several examples on this forum where I have done just that. Not that you accused me of failing to do so; I am noting this simply because I feel I am obligated to do so by the context of our discussion. With such a morally demanding system, none of us are ever really there. Individuals who fail -- and often fail on a colossal scale -- are the rule, rather than the exception. I recognize this, and think that we should always seek to do our best to rectify inconsistencies wherever we find them.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 12-Nov-2007 at 00:16
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 14:14
Hi, Brian,

Yes, we got to evaluate the religion by what they actually not believe, not because we want to whitewash, but because most of us will agree that on what the people actually believe or how they have behaved.

So we can move on and focus on the ideas of what it should be.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 16:40
Well, Ak, I think you summed that up very well. The inconsistencies of the positions that we defended and attacked didn't quite match up. Also, I appreciate the reading suggestions you gave me via PM. I couldn't find the direct sources for Eusebius online, but I got into his distinction between Logos and God "In the beginning there was the Word (Logos) and the Word was with God." That subtle with was very interesting. I saw there in John how there was the groundwork laid for the whole Arian/Nicean split. In the Trinitarian viewpoint, all three co-habitants of the Trinity are "co-eternal and indivisible, of one divine essence," which translates to one Logos, as I understand it, where as the Arians separated the Logos (Christ) from God, thus making a monotheistic approach to the religion as a whole a theological impossibility; I better understand what you referenced earlier, pertaining to allow for polytheism and the continued worship of Pagan gods. Interestingly, it looks like Eusebius was a proponent of Aian beliefs (separating the Logos from God), until accused of heresy by Alexander of Alexandria (couldn't find any sources on this chap), and brought into line by the Church fathers at the Nicean councils. Heresy everywhere, I tell you. What I find so interesting about the Early Church period, was just how many different Christian/ Gnostic sects seemed to propogate, and before any concrete doctrine had been agreed upon, it seems they all accused one another of heresy on a continual basis. By the way, all of this Logos stuff I have been reading further solidifies the connection in my mind between early Christianity and Gnosticism. It appears that in this period, cultural diffusion, especially between the Greeks, Jews, and Persians, was proliferating, and I think this is part of the reason that mainstream Christianity shares so many similarities with these extinct sects. It seems that mainstream Christianity was just the only one that survived. I don't know if I could quite attribute that to the divinely inspired truths it purports, but I could logically attribute it's success to being the sects that was best able to institutionalize itself, and to create a stronger follower-base. A similar analogy would be like saying that McDonald's was the mom&pop burger shop of the 1950's that was best able to organize it's resources, and to turn itself into a franchise and corporation, while the other mom&pop shops didn't organize, remained in isolation, and were subsumed by the larger corporation. McDonald's didn't succeed because it had the best food. A bit of an unrefined analysis, but I believe it has it's merits.

But to get on the initial track (left behind in the woods many miles back), what is inherent in the doctrine of Christianity requiring non-violence of Christians? We know "Thou Shalt not Kill," but Moses and the Israelites ran around smiting their way through the deserts and commiting genocide in Canaan, so I'm fairly confident we can take that one with a grain of salt. What sources can we use to prove Christianity as a pacifist religion?
Cheers,
BC
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:34

What are you talking about? Of course if you believe in orthodox Christianity you have to believe in the devil. It is not dualism in philosophy, although it may incorrectly be dualism in practice. The devil is not a being that can challenge God as an equal. The devil is the ultimate terrorist. He knows that he does not have the means to challenge God directly so he takes out his anger against God against God's greatest creations, mankind. And he does so by terrorizing our very souls.

Christianity is doctrinally dualistic; the Manicheanistic heresy is mostly due to the fact that the Persians thought of it first.

As I listed above it is not dualistic.

The Judean conception of the afterlife was that of sheol. Which is to say Hades. The afterlife of the pre-dualistic Ancients was that of haziness, of the forgettign once one passed the Lethe waters. In the Judean perception of the world, all waters flowed off the edges of a flat world; and those waters also signified forgetfulness, much as the Lethe waters did (that the Phoenecian conception and the Greek were highly interconnected is not purely coincidental; Phoenecians being Phillistines, from a historical perspective). Thus, in a pre-Christian Judea, the conception of afterlife was that everyone went the same place, regardless of earthly doings.

Why can't this be the Christian concept as well?

In the Christian conception, we view a heaven-hell dichotomy oddly reminiscent of Zoroastrianism... coincidence? Perhaps. When viewed with Mithraism in context? And the extent of Rome's wars? Doubtful that coincidentiality becomes.

Of course it's not a coincidence, Christianity has borrowed heavily from pre-Christian traditions. However there are many more differences between the Persian cults and Christianity than there are similarities.

Another question is, how do we then interpret the presence of Satan in the wilderness? The Satan of the Book of Job as God's attorney (the Devil as Advocate, we could say) is obviously not the same Satan we see in the Temptation; this Satan is more reminiscent of Angra Mainyu, "the malevolent" in the Zoroastrian position.

Could it be then that these devils are separate individuals? Perhaps the Satan in the wilderness was Christ's own mortal personality tempting his divine person by giving him the "easy" path rather than the right path. Remember this was at the time that Christ was just coming to terms with the fact that he was the incarnation of God.

But the dualism of Christianity stands as nearly undeniable; at least if the Gospels are to be taken as a primary source of Church doctrine...

I'm sorry I was under the impression that the Gospels mainly spoke of the fact that man had ruined their own souls (without the help of any outside Satanic force) and that in order to set them on the right path, God sent to earth the New Law and New Covenant to bring mankind back to righteousness?

However, if you look at Christianity with more logical rigor, you will find out that this duality is just not part of the religion simply because it runs counter to the basic premise that there is only one abstract God that humans cannot describe or depict.

QFT.

We know "Thou Shalt not Kill," but Moses and the Israelites ran around smiting their way through the deserts and commiting genocide in Canaan, so I'm fairly confident we can take that one with a grain of salt.

The direct translation of that passage is "Thou Shalt not Murder." Meaning that one should not intentionally harm another with spite or evil intent. In war soldiers are not murdering their enemies (unless they surrender first) because both sides agreed that their actions may well lead to their deaths and both sides accept the consequences of their actions.

Granted there are instances in the early history of the Hebrews where they slaughtered entire nations but these can be listed to one of two things either they didn't fully understand and fulfill the commandments of God (which is kind of a cop out I know) or by "destroying the nations" they killed all of the soldiers and resisters and took slaves and "adopted" the rest into the nation or Israel.

Mind you the not understanding the dictates of God still holds some merit, since the Jews themselves were nearly destroyed by the Chaldeans (perhaps as punishment?).

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:57
The direct translation of the passage probably ought to be put into the Bible, then, to clear up inconsistencies. Ever English version I've ever read has "kill" for "murder." Personally, I like the "no killing" better than "no murdering." Less semantics, much more straightforward.

Edited by Brian J Checco - 16-Nov-2007 at 00:57
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 01:48
What are you talking about? Of course if you believe in orthodox Christianity you have to believe in the devil. It is not dualism in philosophy, although it may incorrectly be dualism in practice. The devil is not a being that can challenge God as an equal. The devil is the ultimate terrorist. He knows that he does not have the means to challenge God directly so he takes out his anger against God against God's greatest creations, mankind. And he does so by terrorizing our very souls.

Actually, Janus, you don't have to believe in the devil. Neither one of the founding creeds, either that of the Apostles or the Nicene creed have a line saying, "I believe in the Devil..."

It is a popular belief, and most priests who know better just go with the flow because teaching a strictly monotheistic theology is hard because it is so abstract. Besides, most will say that "the devil" is a nice symbolic representation of our negative impulses, the same way we have justice being represented by a semi topless chick with a blindfold and a scale.

You are right that the right translation is thou shall not murder, but

1. according to this simple interpretation from a Jewish site,

This is one of the three cardinal sins in Judaism, for which an individual is obligated to give up his life. This means that if Person A approaches Person B and says to him, "I will kill you if you do not kill person C," Person B should allow himself to be killed, rather than murder Person C.

http://www.ou.org/chagim/shavuot/aseret.htm

This to me seems to say that one should rather die than being forced to kill, as, let's say, a war. I am sure that there is a dissenting view on my interpretation by a wise rabbi, but they have dissenting interpretations on all of the text

b) The context that Jesus uses when making this statement is in that where he says that he is expanding the meaning of the law. Here is the whole passage:

13: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

21Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

25Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

So it seems to be expanding whatever limiting meaning there was before, and that even being angry with others qualify as "murder."

I will add that just war seems to have a stronger historical origin than scriptural. When it was necessary for Christians to kill for the state, then it arises

You had previously asked me to provide evidence about the early church pacifism. Here it is, from a blog:

Fourthly, Christian pacifism stems from a clear understanding of the distinctive mission of the Church. Christians are Christians first, citizens of their country second. In fact, Peter tells us that we are a holy nation, a people belonging to God, and Paul tells us that our citizenship is in heaven. The Church of Jesus Christ is not called to be involved in the wars the non-Christian world wages against each other. Rather, we are called to be an outpost of the Kingdom of God, living by the standards of that Kingdom even now. Paul spells out for us what that looks like:

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lords people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not think you are superior.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for Gods wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord. On the contrary:

If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:9-21, excerpts)

I find it interesting that the early Christians almost unanimously interpreted the New Testament as forbidding followers of Jesus to participate in war. For example, the Apostolic Tradition of Hippolytus, dating from about 215 AD, has the following to say about those who wish to become catechumens (i.e. those who are learning to become Christians):

A military man in authority must not execute men. If he is ordered, he must not carry it out. Nor must he take military oath. If he refuses, he shall be rejected. If someone is a military governor, or the ruler of a city who wears the purple, he shall cease or he shall be rejected. The catechumen or faithful who wants to become a soldier is to be rejected, for he has despised God (Hippolytus 16:9-11).

Many other early Christian writers take the same line. Tertullian wrote,

the divine banner and the human banner do not go together, nor the standard of Christ and the standard of the devil. Only without the sword can the Christian wage war: for the Lord has abolished the sword. (On the Chaplet 11-12).

Origen wrote,

You can not demand military service of Christians any more than you can of priests. We do not go forth as soldiers.' (Against Celsus VIII.7.3 about 240 AD)

Justin wrote

We ourselves were well conversant with war, murder, and everything evil, but all of us throughout the whole wide earth have traded in our weapons of war. We have exchanged our swords for ploughshares, our spears for farm tools. Now we cultivate the fear of God, justice, kindness to men, faith, and the expectation of the future given to us by the Father himself through the Crucified One.' (Dialogue with Trypho 110.3.4 about 160 AD)

To sum up: Christian pacifism rests on the example of a God who loves his enemies, on the call of Christians to follow the Lordship of Jesus Christ and put his teaching into practice, and on the power of the Holy Spirit to work in the hearts of the most evil of people and turn them to God. Christian pacifism also takes seriously the call of the Church to be a distinct society with a special mission to bear witness to the Kingdom of God. In the early years of its life, before Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman empire, this mission was almost unanimously interpreted as excluding participation in war.

No doubt many readers of 'Brutally Honest' will disagree with the position I have outlined here. Im fine with that, and I will attempt to answer your objections! However, be patient with me like everyone else here, I have a day job as well, so I may not get to your responses immediately!

Next time I write, I hope to address the second part of the question: Is it possible for a sincere Christian to (a) support the just war theory, and (b) support the Bush administrations policies in Iraq?

Note: the author of this piece is a conservative Republican.
http://www.brutallyhonest.org/brutally_honest/2006/09/christian_pacif.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234