Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Save Our Cows - Ikea is just enough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Save Our Cows - Ikea is just enough
    Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:45
A real shoking news was published in my newspaper this week....

Up to ISK 1,250 million (USD 20 million, EUR 14 million) could be saved if the Icelandic cow breed is replaced with a red-mottled Swedish cow species, which produces more milk, according to a report issued by the Agricultural University of Iceland on Tuesday.

Minister of Agriculture Einar K. Gudfinnsson said the report is a valuable contribution to the ongoing discussion among farmers on whether a foreign cow species should be imported to increase milk production at a lower cost, ruv.is reports.

Gudfinnsson said the benefits of replacing Icelandic cows with their Swedish counterparts are obvious, though potential expenses need to be taken into account when deciding whether the cows should be replaced or not.

Despite the benefits of importing Swedish cows, the minister said it is not time to make a decision yet. Farmers have very different opinions on this issue.

The Icelandic cow breed is unique because it has been isolated in Iceland since Norse settlers brought it with them in the 9th century A.D. The cows are related to the Norwegian species and are characterized by a great variety in color.

Stop this plans. Maintain the Icelandic cattle. Stop the swedish influence.
Unsteady scandinavian pieces of furniture with silly names like grunvik are  what i can bear,barely, but Swedish bullocks, that goes to far.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 01:43
Embrace change. Or you will be rolled over!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 15:41
That is such a sweet looking cow... but is it me or does it look more like a moose or raindeer....?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 22:41
hmmm, i wonder what they taste like..........
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 01:25

You're not alone Aelfgifu, the first thought I had when viewing that picture was that it looks like a moose, not a cow. 

I agree with Ulrichs' sentiments about preserving the uniqueness of Iceland and its species of cow.  I hope they do not go through with replacing the native species.  What do they mean by that anyway; are they going to kill of the icelandic species and bring in new herds of swedish cattle or something.Confused
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 01:52
You're right Aelf and Justinian! Ulrich, did you mean for it to be a moose/elk? They aren't cows - they are a type of deer (Cervidae) Smile
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 02:37
Are these the cows you were after a picture of ulrich?

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 06:33
My only concern is, will this spiecie produce more  methane than the others, if so, it would generate heavy environmental impact.

Edited by Siege Tower - 27-Oct-2007 at 06:34
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 18:19

Guys - don't you realise who started this thread? LOL

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Northman

Guys - don't you realise who started this thread? LOL

Yep North, sometimes i'm still realy amazed at the reactions of some of the other cattle.

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 11:53
Well you know what cattle is like, all it takes is for one to do something and then they all do the same.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 13:05
That's indeed a cow and her calves - a moose cow with her moose calves to be exact. I doubt they're going to import those though..

These are the most common cows in Sweden (names directly translated):
Red-motley cow and lowland cow (also called mountain cow, of some reason), I guess this the superior breeds the Icelanders want ;)

Highland cow, I think we imported them from Scotland.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 29-Oct-2007 at 13:11
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 01:20
Originally posted by Knights

You're right Aelf and Justinian! Ulrich, did you mean for it to be a moose/elk? They aren't cows - they are a type of deer (Cervidae) Smile

I don't think Urich can tell the difference. Wink

We [People of Iceland] are fifty or a hundred years behind the advanced countries. We must make good this distance in ten years. Either we do it, or they will crush us.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply